Dissapointing Corrado Experience

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by sportline, Feb 25, 2008.

1. marshole82 New Member

so sound above substance ? lol

having had my valver for a year, and being used to a diesel turbo before that, i can safely say that revving past 4k is the best feeling - if vr's pull better when revv'd then just do it. ;)

2. chrismc Forum Junkie

A VR Rado is too heavy to be seriously sprightly off the line. Whoever claimed this 6.5s 0-60 was way off IMO. Not a chance

Never seen a standard VR6 below 7-8 secs @ International over the years.

The fact they can pull such silly speeds in 3rd & 4th shows how tall the gearing is too. That is with a shorter F.D than the Golf as well...

The only VR Golf I ever went in felt breathless low down as a result & felt much like a 16v in the way the power was delivered...

Sounded nice though....[:D]

3. k plate Forum Member

A mate of mine went through a few of these and ended up with the STORM model and that was pretty quick

4. mbradbrook Forum Member

Autocar road test of the Corrado VR6 in April 1992 actually recorded 0-60 in 6.4 seconds - see below:

[​IMG]

The more impressive figure was the 30-70 time through the gears of 5.7 seconds. This was actually quicker than the BMW M5 of the same era.

I've never felt my VR6 to be slow although i would say that you have to wait for the engine to be doing 4k before it really comes on song. Certainly way quicker than my mk2 16v.

5. 1982.rpd Forum Member

Some one told me raddos dont feel as well put together because they are not made in wolfsburgh and the build quality is not good

6. PNG

png Forum Member

They were built by Karmann weren't they. I remember Car magazine being well down on the golf vr when it was first released b/c it had some faults and telling people to buy the rado instead because it was better built! [:s]

7. Collie Forum Junkie

so can you chuck in a box from any other vw/audi group to make the gears shorter, if the slow acceleration claims are to be belived.

8. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

I have drove and worked on a few VR6 Corrados and they will roast
    a 16v golf mk2 /3 in a stright line at any point and top end
    they just keep going.
    Raced mate with a well known fast vr6 mk3 golf in a corrado I worked on and again no problem going past him.

As for build not much between a corrado and a mk3, corrado would be better built I would say .....mk3's rot and they are ugly when parked next to a mk2 gti.
    I can just hear all you mk3 owners now lol
    But I had a Great mk3 GTI 16v and I loved it and out of the box standard
    would clean any mk2 16v on lift and walk away in forth gear.
    but still not a mk2 on looks and just to heavy.

9. CorradoVR6-Turbo

CorradoVR6-Turbo Forum Member

196..ish hp is nothing to write home about,it might have been quick in the day but it average now and slow to allot of diesels! but they do make a great noise and the lower FD does make a huge difference in acceleration thats for sure....add a turbo on the back and that will pin you back in the seat.....not bad for a engine designed in the 80's...

10. coullstar Forum Member

What the VR needs is a 6sp box and 12 more valves to make it feel fast.;) Ive had a few Mk3 VR's and a Corrado VR. Standard Corrado didnt feel any quicker but you dont buy a car like that nowadays if you want the fastest car around.

11. PNG

png Forum Member

My mate was in the army with a bloke who went out with the daughter of the guy who designed the VR6 :lol:

12. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Corrados are greatly missunderstood as a car by lots of people

No other standard dub can touch corrado in handling/cruising dept

Also applies if modified to same spec

Love corrados, always had one for past 18yrs!

And they are not that heavy

Valver 1100kg to 1160kg

Vr 1260kg

Compare that to lets say my A3 quattro at over 1500kg in standard trim

13. OB1

ob1 Forum Member

VR6's are prone to running down on power due to faulty MAF's and crankshaft position sensor's / temp sensor's etc not functioning. My Mk3 VR6 was a heap of **** when I bought
    it. Put it on VAG com changed the sensors and wambam a much much much faster car.
    I expect the corrado was not running corectly cause its should feel fairly pacey when pushed on a bit? surely? :thumbup:

14. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

I always fancied an 1800 valver when i was looking for one, so i could throw the 2.0 in there without the cat/cams etc...Just for a bit of a mix between around town and motorway use.

Always bought cars on condition though hence ending up with the g60, bloody thing.:lol:
    Much prefer it around town to a vr6, different kettle of fish as said...but i still find the gearing to be crap.

Neil.

15. Devon Dubber

Devon Dubber Forum Member

Can anyone answer me this....
    Did VW ever make a Corrado Syncro?
    I've been trying to find out... for about 3 minutes then realised it would be far easier to ask you guys...:lol:

16. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

If i remember correctly nope, but they did build 3 (I think) 16v G60's :thumbup:

Neil.

17. Devon Dubber

Devon Dubber Forum Member

(I know this is off topic...sorry)

That sounds awesome! Thats the same motor as the Limited then? [:D]

18. AndyRhino

AndyRhino Forum Junkie

corrado's are well built, i dont see how you can say they are not, my 2 and other ppl that i knows rados have no rattles or squeaks after 17 odd years, after having mine completely apart and also having a mk2 completely apart you can see the extra effort put into the rado, its just had more thought put into it and little felt bits where plastic parts touch to prevent rattles etc.

as for the gbox, they are long ratios which does make them feel slower but looking at the speedo will tell you otherwise, and tbh the longer ratios help when upping the power. i have a 6spd in a 230 bhp rado and its rather short gearing which makes it feel alot more sprightly but can be annoying changing gear every second!!

19. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I think they made one.

It's not that hard to convert one.

20. AndyRhino

AndyRhino Forum Junkie

wasn't the original idea to make the rado 4wd hence having a larger tunnel (isnt it the same as the syncros?) but then didnt bother! thus only the boot floor should need raising to fit the syncro?