Dubweiser Golf - when is a Golf no longer a Golf?

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by RobT, Apr 9, 2007.

1. vrbanana Forum Junkie

I think theres little more of the floor section removed out of mine than some of the MK1 race cars Ive seen, the boot floor has gone but 2/3 of the original floor is still in.
    Would it count on a MK1 when the whole floor had been removed and replaced with an ally floor?
    The MK1 would look more original than the Corrado but the Corrado would retain more of the chassis/floor. What about the MK1 with custom made rear suspension or one with the rose jointed front arms? A major component but not VW and not even VAG????

Its one big gray area but as long as the main shell is VAG and the car shares most components with its original type I cant see a problem

2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

so a spaceframed vauxhall engined hotrod with a corrado maccy'ds carton bodyshell on it is a corrado then ?

3. vrbanana Forum Junkie

No, its a kit car

The dubwieser golf is an Audi [:s] [:s] [:s] :lol:

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

So it boils down to cosmetic appearance? In some eyes I suppose it does. Daz's Clio example is a no-no, but on a points basis, there's only an engine for us VAG types to talk about. So if it was a Golf floorpan and Clio top half with Golf running gear, I wonder how that would change it?

I think it has to look right, outwardly. Box number 1, ticked. Then looking further, it's a case of having a look to see what else there is.

Keeping it in the family counts for a lot, eg Dubweiser.

Max Torque's one is over the line (IMO), in that it runs a Volvo 440 engine, longditudinally, M3 rear diff, turbo from God knows where, and a whole host of ancillaries from a Subaru Impreza WRC. It looks like an Ibiza, but it's proper mongrel in terms of what's on it - even though it's done 110% right and had proper money spent.

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

in sprinting, if you modify the floorpan AT ALL, other than minimal holes for fasteners / hose routing, the car is immediately sports libre - and anything goes here, full speceframes with different engines, the sky's the limit.

I think this is very sensiible as otherwise where do you draw the line ?

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

Audi/Golf

7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

max's moter has a renault engine - megane derivative - and looks fantastic, cosmetically very much a vag and modelled on one of the most fantastic and highly developed versions of the fwd golf family....on that basis surely it'd be ok ? tough one

how about a mk1 golf with a honda engine ? what class would that go in ? is that ok.....cos its a pretty damn significant bit thats changed to non vag ...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Engine's the same - it came out of his old 440 rally car (the hatch Volvo did, if that's the right no), which he brought to the CCC Converted Car of the Year at Combe in '96.

It might be modelled on an F2 Ibiza, but the genes are way too mixed up. Appearances yes, but a hand behind the frilles :lol: - no way. Gearbox? I forget.

I don't buy the Honda engine as a true and true Golf, but I know one has been done - Ray268 IIRC - pea green.

Tricky one - we're all superficial re: appearances, then comes the tough judgement call.

9. vrbanana Forum Junkie

But are we talking about VAG events or sprinting????

If everyone thought purity was the first and foremost consideration there wouldnt be any VW events, most show cars take ideas and parts from non VAG cars.

I think if it resembles the basic shape of the original car and shares most of the major components but having said that I wouldnt exclude the Seat on the grounds of the way it was built, if we all thought that way hed never find a forum or group event to attend

If youre talking VAG events then that would exclude the Corrado even though it has 90% of the original components fitted to the Corrado models [:s] [:s] [:s] [:s]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

PPC Rover "SD1" - with the Meteor engine.... what is it?

11. vrbanana Forum Junkie

if only engine has changed then its an SD1....... An SD1 would never fly :lol: :lol:

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

But looking at the engine, and how much of it there is, cut back into a boxed section of the interior, I say it's lost the origins - and gone too far.

13. vrbanana Forum Junkie

So it’s not just down to the engine then, it’s if the structure and engine are changed???
    What if it was all original apart from the engine which fitted in the frame with minimum alterations?

We still go back to the Clio with the 1.8T............. it’s still a Clio

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Big floorpan/front bulkhead changes on that car, non OE engine, gratuitouly positioned in the cabin. On the points thing, it comes down to issues with the engine origin, size, and large scuttle/bulkhead changes.

If the engine slotted in well eg Honda engined Mk1 Golf, it's much closer call I'd say, but wrong genes.... a bit of sleeping with the enemy. That's where the art of VAG parts upgrades comes in to play sooo well and keeps the watercooled scene alive and well.

15. vrbanana Forum Junkie

What about the old group B cars of the past, I think the Quattro was as close enough to the original Quattro but the 205 T16’s were nothing like the original cars other than the 200made to make the homologation requirements.
    The Quattro was like a highly modified race car based on the original where some of the others were pure race cars made to look like the original car, they obviously couldn’t define a line so were not likely to

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Production cars, even just 200, gives enough credibility to those. Peugeot part numbers all over them, so an easy call (IMO!)

17. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Race car with replica shell
    [​IMG]

roadgoing Quattro basic configuration clearly similar to the group B version

[​IMG]

18. vrbanana Forum Junkie

But apply the same thinking as in this thread and the pug is not a pug, the only thing that makes it so is that 200 were made, I was commenting on the design differing so far from the original.
    It’s a Pug production car because motorsport homologation regulations say so, no common sense involved, it was an out and out rally car made by Peugeot in the shape of one of there models.

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It's a Pug because they put their stamp on it. Credibility I suppose is the ace up the sleeve on that one.

If a race co made one, it would be a different matter.

20. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I'm not saying the same rules should apply as for pukka msa-regulated sprinting, not at all, that would be a big shame and lots of very cool / interesting / well engineered hybrids would be ineligible - I guess the msa didn't know quite where to draw the line so had to come up with something easy to measure - no floorpan mods, then the line is obvious.