earliest Mk2 GTI...........unless of course you know different ?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by wishboneash, Feb 14, 2015.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

jimmy has the info a few posts up, his was 04-2-1007 which is 4th week in 1984, 2nd day of the week which is tuesday :)

2. coola New Member

Jonny

Saw that but didn't understand it. I think I do now. The 04 is the fourth week of the year; the 2 is the second day of the week ; and the 1007 is the number of cars build that day, week or year?

I have 09-4-0549, so that is 9th week of the year on a Thursday, 1st March 1984

Thanks again

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  3. rubjonny

yep thats the one :)

I've seen elsewhere that the last digits actually means yours was the 549th car off the line that day

4. coola New Member

Thanks again Jonny

I saw Wishbone's "How many left" post and as well as B Reg cars, I think it will also include MK1 Gtis. I would guess that there are very few A Reg Mk2 cars left as they had little value a few years ago.

5. Sam Stirrup New Member

Thanks to everyone on this thread - I’ve worked out that the Mk2 GTI I’ve just bought was built approx 18th April 1984. I can’t remember the code on the boot sticker off head.

Attached Files:

6. wishboneash Paid Member Paid Member

Hi SS
    Wow. Looks in good nick ?
    Original or restored ?
    Red insert on bumpers not from 84 model.
    My cars birthday today, 37 yrs young !
    Thats when she was first registered in UK but, built about a month earlier
    Scotty

7. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

That is odd. Mine is FW159680 but was registered on 01/12/84 so can’t be an 85 unless the VW production year is like the Chinese or financial year and doesn’t start on 1st of January. Or, I’ve always been confused why my alternator has a 1.21 Gigawatts output going directly to a rather large flashing three legged capacitor. Could it be?????

8. Sam Stirrup New Member

Hi Scotty,

The pictures are quite flattering, the car needs a lot of work really but is a solid base! It’s all original bar a passenger door being repainted.

Yeah I was having this discussion the other day with someone - it’s all very odd because I’m missing the GTI badge. Someone said according to their 84’ brochure my car should have single headlight grill with red stripe. It doesn’t make sense looking through this thread though. I’ll attach for reference.

I take it there should be no red stripe on the bumper?

I just realised today is approx the date built on mine too - would be good to compare to yours to see how far mine is off!

This one seems to have a weird story. Built in RHD by Wolfsburg - went from West Germany to Bristol - then sold in Feb 85 to Essex which it remained till 2019 with the same owner and then Suffolk till the day before yesterday and now back with me in Essex. Was yours an English sold car?

Attached Files:

9. wishboneash Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Sam
    Yes, the car was supplied to me on the 18th of April 1984 is my first business lease car. It was the first right-hand drive mark 2 Golf GTI I had ever seen! Even the showrooms didn't have one. I did see see a left hand drive mark 2 GTI on the A13 in Dagenham prior to that however. A few weeks after purchase, I took around Goodwood race track with club GTI and the local dealer went there who could only put out a Mark 1 campaign as they didn't have a Mark 2 GTI either.My bumpers were replaced in the 90s and they couldn't get the non red insert ones so mine had read in, until it was restored in the last couple of years or so. Your grill with the four lights in the grill is correct. I've seen that picture in a brochure before and it's not correct for UK supplied early type 19 GTI. Best wishes with your new acquisition! Scotty

afbiker02 likes this.
  10. Sam Stirrup New Member

Hi Scotty,

interesting to note!

You must be fairly local to me. I’m in Braintree.

Just to add some more pointless confusion to this post- I’ve just got in touch with the first owner who had it from 1984 to 2018 - he stated that the lights were upgraded. He couldn’t remember if it was just the light units or the spot lamps. My guess is that it’s meant to have single light being a German car. He did comment though that it’s always had red strip bumpers from new. If anything this has given me more questions!

Also boot sticker for reference, I think I may have miscalculated the weeks. Week 20 suggests May 16th build and then the car was delivered on 30th May 1984 - fairly quick? Is that feasible?

Attached Files:

afbiker02 likes this.
  11. wishboneash Paid Member Paid Member

Hi All
    Just bin to b n q, and one of the rear seat pull up plastic knob things has broken. It has a circular top that you pull up a plastic loop thats attached to the metal release bolt, so u can fold the seat down. Anyone got one, or know where I can get one or part no. ?
    Reckon Rubjonny will know !

12. wishboneash Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Sam
    Car is with me at Southend but poss moving to Norwich as its no. 2 sons now really.
    Dunno about 2 light grill ? Reckon all uk spec's early mk2s defo had 4 lights and no red bumper inserts.
    Reckon Rubjonny can throw some light on the matter, and decode your sticker, as he did mine.

Sam Stirrup likes this.
  13. rubjonny

191885683A, you can still flick the latch manually thru the gap rear of the seat. MK3 ones 1H0885683 do work but are a bit longer

afbiker02 likes this.
  14. Ray P Paid Member Paid Member

I have beaten you by a year owned mine since August 1989 mk2 GTI 16v tornado red

Attached Files:

15. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

My Dad had a 1984 Mk2 8v and this one had a single headlamp grille (with red stripe around it) and only had the drivers side mirror (nothing on the left) It had the thick and thin black stripe along the bottom of the doors which if I recall was also on the Mk1 GTI. The car always reminded of a Mk1.5 where it had not made the full transition to Mk2 (apart from the actual body of course)

Sam Stirrup likes this.
  16. Sam Stirrup New Member

Ah gotcha! Lucky boy!

I think I’ve worked it out now.

Single light grill as it’s an import and non red stripe bumpers.

17. sidevalve New Member

Can't beat 30 years, but I've had mine since 1994