Engine Advice needed for Sprint 16v

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Carl S, Apr 11, 2005.

1. steved Forum Member

Does anyone know who sells valves for the ADR engine?

2. barny Forum Member

I think bill was sorting something out ....

3. Carl S Forum Member

Update; I've just bought a low mileage (50k) ABF engine from a Passat. My current thinking is that as it's barely run in ;) to bolt the little fecker in whole.

link it up to my existing K-Jet and 50mm manifold. My exhaust system is getting tired so I plan to add a 4 branch manifold with a "Jetex Golf Mk2 GTi 16V Competition/Rally" exhaust system which only has two boxes and is larger bore. I'll re-fit the K&N panel filter, box it off, drill & vent airbox through the o/s wing. All these mods are legal in my class.

I think I may leave the head work & cams 'till later in the season. Stupid question I know but judging from other posts on the forum I'm guessing this should see about 175 bhp with the standard cams ?

4. greg s Forum Member

At Stealth, yes. ;)

5. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Someone has just done just what you're planning and got (yeh yeh, at Stealth) 174bhp and 145lb/ft.

It's the improved mid range torque that you notice the most with this swap though. :)
    Edited by: GVK

7. iguana Forum Member

Maybe save cams for later but I'd have ya head flowed & valves re-ground in new guides stem seals etc etc to save any losses there- (or indeed flow a 2nd head so you can then just swap them over in an afternoon) a properly flowed head is worth very good gains on the 16v.

8. Carl S Forum Member

Iguana, I was thinking of the flowed head too will it make any difference if I get the ABF head flowed, or get the old KR one done when it's off the car ?

9. iguana Forum Member

Carl, I dunno on the KR vs ABF head flow rates & power figs to be honest, I had thought that once they were flowed the results were the same, but thats only heresay.

10. Carl S Forum Member

An update on this thread, This weekend I started the engine swap from KR to ABF, see photos below;

[​IMG]
    The old girl awaiting surgery...

[​IMG]
    Was quite easy to get out even without removing the bumper etc.

[​IMG]
    stripped of all ABF specific parts, ready to getKR & Kjet ancilliaries

[​IMG]
    Most ancilliaries now on, showing expensive clutch alignment tool ;) (well it works!)

[​IMG]
    02a box now on

So far the main problems I've had have been around bits breaking ! the first was the stud that holds the cambelt tensioner on, it stripped it's thread when torquing up, VW actually had one on stock!! so collected it and promptly re-stripped another thread, this time on the nut, so was able to finally get it torqued up third time lucky with a third nut!
    The other breakage was an engine sensor to left of the water pipe (I've posted a question about this in the engines section)
    Tomorrow I hope to get the engine back in as soon as I can figure out how to fit the flywheel protection tin off the old box onto the 02a box [:s]

Most parts swap over fine, but interestingly I've had to use the Mk3 front engine mounting bracket as the KR one doesn't line up with one of the gearbox bolts, something to take note of if you're sourcing the box from a scrappy...

11. steved Forum Member

Well your getting on with it, whats your next event? Lydden is on the 16th july half track day half sprint and that James Sanders will be there with the Tsr powered golf.

12. Carl S Forum Member

Due to holidays and commitments at home the next event is a trackday at Goodwood early August. Although I plan to make up for it at the end of the year with a few events. Would you say Lydden is a better venue than North Weald? As there seems to be quite a few events at both available this year.

On the up side, I'm currently shopping for a trailer so I don't have to worry about nursing the car back from an event like I did at Goodwood. Also should mean I can start going to tracks a bit further away !

13. steved Forum Member

No comparison, NorthWeald is a laugh and thats it Lydden is a cracking circuit and a bit challenging, I will be doing North Weald in August.
    I've just sold a brian james trailer i found it was just to big so now i've got a towing dolly i can fold that up and put it down the side of the house.300

Edited by: steved