Engine problems

Discussion in '16-valve' started by joe98, Jan 10, 2019 at 12:27 PM.

1. joe98 New Member

I’ve recently bought a 1985 Mk2 and I’m having some troubles. The car from the factory came with the 8v engine however it has since had the 16v engine dropped in, its also got KJet injection.

The problem is that when I’m driving and I go near 4500-5500 rpm or above, the car will stutter and cut out. (The engine will still run but a drone sound comes from the engine when the accelerator is pressed)

It doesn’t happen all the time and it’s not always at the same rpm but around that area. The cars had a new alternator and battery and it has made it a little better but the problem persists. A local garage thinks it could be due to me having 3 standard plug leads and 1 BMW performance lead (came with the car when purchased). When the engine jerks and cuts out near the rpm range I can hear a relay (or a number of relays) clicking underneath the dashboard. When the engine jerks, it’s possible to slow the engine down, shift down a gear and the car will make it past without jerking all the way to red line.

It’s hard to explain what’s happening but basically when the revs get near 4/5k the car will suddenly start to jolt instead of accelerating. The car won’t stall out but I have to let off the accelerator for it to stop. This will happen either at WOT or just gradually building up speed.

What could be causing my problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 12:49 PM
  2. pigbladder Forum Addict

slightly sounds like hall sender starting to go..does the rev counter go ape?

3. joe98 New Member

I wouldn’t say it goes ape but when the engine begins to jerk, the Rev counter will blip up a bit even though I’m not moving the pedal.

Any more info needed please ask.

4. joe98 New Member

Caught it on camera. If anyone knows whats up, please get in touch.

The video clearly shows the car revving up to about 4k then when it gets there it tries to get above 4k but then will drop back down and then try again. You can also hear a relay clicking and the end of the video shows that the engine will rev above 4k. My foot barely moved on the pedal until the last second when it revved up properly.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Admin

ok for starters feel all the relays till you find the one which is clicking, let us know which one it is.

did you use the full 16v wiring, and if so did you change the fuel relay for the 16v one which should be 67, 80 or 167 in slot 2. worth posting a piccy of all your relays as well so we can check they're all good.