First Project !

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Kempster, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Admin Guest

For the originality purist this project is just great to see. So many people would have re-shelled but you've dived in there and what you'll end up with will be a car that'll make you smile and be proud of what you've achieved.

Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Matt.

2. Paul 16v Forum Member

I don't suppose you got this from Edenbridge in Kent did you??

3. Gaddmeister Forum Member

What you are doing is fantastic and what classic car ownership is all about. Look at the aircooled scene. When I used to work for a beetle restoration garage 20 years ago we used to have to weld in complete floor pans, heater channels and numerous other panels just to get the car in one piece. The scale of your rot is nothing and in my eyes a simple fix. There are too many people that would scrap it, but my last project was the same. It needed a new scuttle panel as it had rotted out under the windscreen. So many people said it was not worth it, but it was easy and straight forward and I saved another MK2. I have just bought another off a guy who took it in part ex and bought it off the car lot as they were going to scrap it. He thaught it was worth another years service to run into the ground. I have bought it to get the welding done which is the fuel filler area and rear apron. The rest is mint and never welded. I see it as worthwhile like yourself and wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing it done!

4. Kempster Forum Member

Slowly but surely

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Gaddmeister Forum Member

Looking good! Just started mine, all good fun!:)

6. VAG

VAG Forum Member

i like a you :thumbup:

7. G28OPN Forum Member

glad you stuck with it kempster. when its done, you can sit back and have a little giggle to yourself. will be doing something similar myself soon once i have my engine run-in and tuned etc etc. :thumbup:

8. Kempster Forum Member

bit more done:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Good for you, I got my 1989 GTi fully restored - it was a case of do it or lose it and losing it was NOT an option. My husband actually offered to buy me a new GTi and I said "do you mind if I keep the one I have?" Reason being I have owned a lot of cars over the years, a couple have come close to my Golf but none ever equalled it. I do not like new cars. Our local VW dealer did it and there was a lot spent on it. There are ancient posts on here if you want to rummage, my car was absolutely awful. I never realised just how bad it was until they ripped it apart, I went in a couple of times a week to take photos. If you want, let me know and I can send you a disc of it from start to finish.

Don't be put off or disheartened, have faith, it will be well worth it in the end and, I have to say, although mine is now a "pet car" that never goes out in bad weather, it never fails to put a huge smile on my face. It isn't about money, we do it for the love of it and the guys on here are lovely and very supportive.

10. VAG

VAG Forum Member

^ inspiring post <3 ^

11. sean76 Forum Member

im gonna go this far with mine if i dont sell it.good work fella:thumbup:

12. Kempster Forum Member

very inspiring thanks, slow progress at the moment but hopefully it will get going soon :)

13. dub303 Forum Member

I'll be proud when I've sorted a tiny bit of rust on the bunged holes in the floor of mine... will have taken me as long to do that as it's taken you to do all this!

Keep going, don't short change yourself on the prep, and I can't imagine how good it will feel when the first few coats of primer go on! It'll be like a magic wand.

14. sean76 Forum Member

are you going to spray this yourself or have it done at a sprayshop?
    im quite glad i found this as its giving me a push in the right direction to start sorting mine.

is the original engine going back in?

15. Kempster Forum Member

The Plan is to paint it myself but we will see as for the engine its knackered so i should think an 2.0 abf doner car will be purchased once the body work is sorted and then i will put as much in from the doner in as possible

16. Kempster Forum Member

UPDATE: all be it a little one, i have now managed to source the following from a local scrap yard all in tip top condition from a j plate 1.3

bought tailgate and shell so the following are now at my disposal or will be
    tailgaite
    chassis leg and battery tray
    inner wing sections both sides
    floor pan
    rear valance and rear section to replace damaged panel
    sills
    ofsside tray over chassis leg

ontop of that i have got myself a welder and all the necassaries so so quick progress should be made soon

watch this space

17. Kempster Forum Member

Had to make a jig today as planning to replace a chassis leg on my mk2

i know its not great but i was pleased with it as it all held together

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  18. Stooza Forum Member

Really loving this thread, bro, it does'nt matter how long this takes you. Each step completed is one more nearer to your goal. You will love this old motor, imagine its first outing when it's ready! Very inspiring, all credit to you for doing what your doing :)

19. Kempster Forum Member

quick update: car from scrappy heavily delayed so further stripping and por15 testing has occured

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

Fair play to you for having a go and doing it
    I have to repair peoples cars for a living and although this is a big project its not too much to do, but keep on. you will learn how to weld, then re-learn how to weld onto metal that is not 100% then decide to cut out even further to get to the really good metal !
    But when you finally get the chassis leg in all will be well in the world !
    Keep on keeping on my friend
    Steve