german plates

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by jetpants, Oct 4, 2006.

1. jetpants New Member

Thinking bout getting some german plates for my mk4. How often do people get stopped by the fuzz with them on?is it wrth the hassle?unrelated but my turbo seems to stick and recently my engine runs really rough and has even cut out a couple times, its only 3yrs old, any ideas whats wrong with the thing?
    cheers all:)

oops this in the wrong bit. my small brain cannot handle such things

2. Admin Guest

do a search on the subject, most if not all the threads will answer your question.

3. Phil. Forum Junkie

Ive had German plates on for over a year now and never been pulled by the fuzz (oh err). Also passed MOT with them on although I had the originals in the boot incase they were being picky.

Regarding the Turbo, what exactly do you mean "sticking"? Is it not holding boost?, is it slow to spool up?, Is the boost spiking?

4. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Had mine on for a few months, never been pulled, even drove past a police car and they didn't seem intrested.

5. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

had mine since just after GTI international, been stopped a few times (for unrelated matters) they usually comment on them but nothing more is ever done

until the other week, pulled me BECAUSE of the plates, i got told to chance them, and a form to get stamped by an MOT place... they let me off the 30 fine because im not a chav, and they're "perfectly ledgable" :)

stuck the originals over the german plates, got my ticket stamped and took them straight back off :thumbup:

6. The db

The db Forum Junkie

had german plates on my old valver and never got pulled. Constantly driving past pigs too. No doubt they are too busy pulling over people with young children to ensure they have their booster seat in place or the likes of such ridiculous policies.

7. pwoiks Forum Member

had mine on for about 4 or 5 months (white on the back aswell though) been pulled last week and have to change to normal ones. i asked if a yellow "german plate" would be ok for the back and he said no and went on about letter spacing and the correct heights and reflectivness etc. im not sure what to do. if he pulls me again with a yellow german plate i could get the 30 fine and still have to change them.

8. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

pulled numerous times. fined 3 times.

9. jetpants New Member

nice one. cheers for your help folks. turbo is another story. tried everything i can think of to sort it so im taking it to my vw mechanic.
    thanks again :)
    T

10. jc.. Forum Member

ha ha this made me laugh. I love the way that even though many have been nicked they still say "f8ck it!" and leave them on.
    quite right too

11. Admin Guest

there are worse plates out there

12. jetpants New Member

why would someone want my number plate?it aint personalised or anythin.u mean someone would teal it just cause it looks a little bit german? surely not.

13. Mark16v Forum Member

He means nicked as in the driver was pulled over on the road, not the number plate stolen off the car.

14. jetpants New Member

doh.my bad.

15. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    got pulled last saturday the pigs around here are having a clamp down as the number plate recognition in the traffic cars cannot read them....

formal caution and if caught again 30 fine

16. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

what?? you get cautioned first? i'm nicer than nice to the officers and i've still had 3 x 30 fines [:x]

if NPR technology cannot recognise a standard EU font, then surely that's a failing on their part [:x]

17. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

yeah he said the recognition either just ignores it as it appears to be forigen or reads it as a completely different plate... as the "0"(zero) has a gap in it the computer makes it out to be a C....

i dont argue with them.... "yes sir i`ll change them, o heres a set of std uk plates in my boot"

18. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

i don't have a 0 in mine [:D]

just a fifty four [8D]

19. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

i thought you had different laws up there anyway, a lad a met off eastside at e38 said they were legal (you are scottish aint you?)

20. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

yeah i'm scottish, they're so legal up here they throw fines at me to show their appreciation [:D]