german plates

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by jetpants, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Admin Guest

money to burn then? the fine being the same cost as a set of plates.

the irish run white all round on a pressed front, can't see what the bother is really.

2. mk1steve Forum Member

i dont see the big fuss either white on front yella on back , the chavs have worse ones if any number plates so why do these get u lot pulled over??[8(]

3. jdubz Forum Member

A Q plate is a non transferable registration and stays with you instead of the car i think, so when it comes to selling it the next person will have to re register it which will be a pain in the ****. also given to kit cars and sometimes imports or a car thats age is uncertain. apparently it can de values the car when you come to selling it so the copper told me ?. Not sure if it affects insurance or not, apart from that its not the end of the world. I mean im not really bothered about changing the reg to a personalised one.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  4. timbutjack Forum Member

i have been running german plates for a while and have never been stopped even when police have pulled up behind me at the lights. would it make any difference if i put the german seals on as well? i guess it probably makes them even worse in there eyes. not sure whether to risk it or not

5. MeanHeart Forum Member

im going to get a set for my mk2 8v its not going on the road for a little bit some hopefully they will get that "been there for ages" look :lol::lol::lol:

6. sam_51 Forum Member

7. vduben Forum Member

i had mine on for about 5 months, then got pulled, he flew up my **** like i had got 100 grands worth of contraban in the boot!!!!!! had 1 of them mot thingys but didnt do it, now i have a 120quid fine!!!!!!!!!

8. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

120 fine for plates?

i've only ever had 30 fines. 3 of them.

9. chris9n

chris9n Forum Member

never been stoped but! a mate has and they took them off him there and gave out a 60 fine and told him to get new plates and leave the car were it was just carry set of normal plates with you thats what i do if you get stoped put them on untill you get home

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  10. paul_c Forum Member

If the DVLA withdraw the plate, you would get another age-related plate, not a Q plate. The legislation is more aimed at people who have plates which they try to make look like words/names, by mucking around with the style of the numbers, so that they get misread. That wouldn't happen with a German plate, its easy enough to read, just a different style, etc.

Q plates stay with the car, not the owner, like any other plate.

The only reason a Q plate would be issued is if the car is unknown age/origin, for example if it was a dodgy (not not illegal) reshell.