Golf MK1 Hillclimb-Sprint Car

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Dub Nutta, Feb 8, 2009.

1. jamesa Forum Junkie

Aye ... :)

Reason for asking is for comparison to my own, same 350lb front (Leda kit) and 650lb rear. ARB`s are Eibach at both ends, not sure on dimensions but was the `standard` upgrade kit back in `99` !

Caster is a +ve 5`.

The thinking behind this is ... the higher rear rates dial out rear end grip and also delete the requirement for higher pressures. The caster is for a sharper turn in allowing power out on the diff (Quaife ATB).

Trouble is I have not yet tried it, only ten years of waiting ... :o

2. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

2nd set of photos

On the way out of Pardon Hairpin

[​IMG]

Track is starting to rubber in. First event of the year so was pretty 'Green' out there on Saturday.

[​IMG]

Full throttle up to the Esses

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

The mk1 has loads of castor. Not only on the top mounts but adjustable tubular wishbones and it has a peloquin diff so I'm on the power really early out of corners. I do miss not having a dog box as with the 020 you need to take your time a bit. But I'm waiting on the JMR Shifter from Jason which will help. But a nice Seq would be epic in the mk1.

I was running 18 psi in the rear so planning on 20 next event and will then work up to 22.

jamesa likes this.
  4. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Last set:thumbup:

Heading into the Esses

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hugging the Armco on the way up to the Semi Circle

[​IMG]

I'm pleased with the photographs from the Pro. This chap wanted a 5 note before he took any and I wasn't sure to go for it or not but I was strapped in the car at the time, so told the misses to send him a note. Glad I did now :thumbup:

Not something I do at every event but at certain times it's nice to look back on.:)

Nige and Yoof like this.
  5. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

A In car clip. I think it's 3rd practice on Sunday. So 2 secs slower than my 2nd competition run Sunday afternoon. If you look carefully you can see the washer jets kick in first corner and me **** myself lol

https://vimeo.com/164601610

[video=vimeo;164601610]https://vimeo.com/164601610[/video]

I didn't manage to catch the fastest final run of the day as my SD card was full. We had a lot of stoppages waiting to go on. Which was a shame.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2016
    1.8T_mk2 and MUSHY 16V like this.
  6. gogsie New Member

The washer jet thing freaked me out too as did the side window slamming shut when i first did a tyre warm up!. Awesome car and sounds fantastic.

7. AjVR Forum Member

I did try that in the rain on the long bend at Rockingham with 2 cars next to me seeing who would take the most speed, I took the most speed and went sideways. lol I think it depends a lot on which series you run in. Our grids normally have 5/6 cars split by 0.5s and changes happen through out the race.

Do want to give hill climb a go also at some point seems like you have more freedom to develop the car.

Any link for the regs is it just an engine from the era or stock block?

8. jamesa Forum Junkie

9. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

good stuff Andrew
    when your mk1 is finished we need to get both cars together would kind of fitting seeing your car inspired the build of this one

10. jamesa Forum Junkie

:o ... it and me will require a significant makeover first lol

MUSHY 16V likes this.
  11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Not meaning to go off topic, how far is it from completion Andrew?

12. jamesa Forum Junkie

Thanks for the `space` Mike ...

Some time yet ...

13. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Not much of a update but have Booked up for a MSA-SDCC Sprint at Curborough on the 29th, Figure of 8 layout. I didn't make the Curborough test day on the 4th May so using this and the Club day as a proper shakedown. Fingers crossed its dry.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  14. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

This did arrive the other day. Snap off boss from lifeline.

[​IMG]

I find the OMP steering wheel a bit big in the MK1 so planning on buying a sparco steering wheel the same as in my MK3 Race car. It's about 30mm smaller and a bit chunkier so fits in your hands better.

15. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Curby update

Well my day was one of the best I've had in a long time. I've been attending these days on and off for the last 10 years and made more of a effort to chat to as many people as I could this year and it was one of the best I've had.

After a hectic week of my Audi Allroad blowing a suspension air bag. I managed to source a replacement tow car and a smaller trailer had to be sourced. But after a few phone calls peeps cane up trumps :thumbup:

We pucked up of the car early and had a smooth trip up, hooked up with the Allard at the motorway services. All was running to schedule for once.

[​IMG]

My day on track was a interesting one and learned a lot more about how the the slicks worked and operated. We ran all morning on the road tyres which were shot and de laminating so quite pleased with the time. Equaled the time I set with the MK3 Race car nearly 10 years ago. I would have been on the slicks earlier but had a *******ing from the sound man about slicks. But once he had gone the Pit crew were on it and a swift pit stop was carried out. Tyres, fuelled, suspension adjustments and back out. We repeatedly held up the cue as we're not be the quickest lol but still better than Red Bull F1 my slicks were all lined up and the crew was on hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Super softs are new tyres to me and need a lot managing to get the best from them. We found with the sudden ambient temperature rise in the afternoon and double driving the car, pressures went through the roof and the compound got too hot and went off. Instead of going quicker thought the afternoon we went slower. These have such a small operating window it was tricky to get them in the correct operating zone. They will work for approx 50-60 seconds then overheat and go off. I also noticed they need a very smooth driving style as any ragging of them just increases heat soak and performance degradation. Like F1 tyres they go off the cliff and impossible to get them back. I had a chat with TonyB and he mentioned some drivers pouring cold water on them between runs to drop temps. So decided to pull up and head over to see Trev for a catch up.

Double driving the car with Lloyd Allard

[​IMG]

On track photo of Lloyd on a quick lap

[​IMG]

All in all a learning curve but that's what this test day is about. I'm sure there is another .8 second to come from it in current spec. Still a good time and only .06 sec off what I did in the VR6 race car back in 2009 in road class. So not bad for newly acquired car. Plenty more to come

Here is a in car vid. First run on slicks and in the 27s but didn't really commit to the first corner and was a bit scrappy though the mole hill. But a 27 in a NA car isn't to be sniffed at.

www.vimeo.com/168825363

16. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

A few photos of the MK1 line up. Just so nice to see a load of track prepared MK1's together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

A couple of long overdue updates on the end of last season.

Firstly we booked up a Prescott Driving School day in August. For this we needed a MOT and some road tyres. The Kuhmos were delaminating and down to the threads so I picked up a set of brand new Team Dymanics alloys and a call to BMTR sourced some Avon ZZR's

[​IMG]

Clearance on the wings was tight as the car runs tubular wishbones which allow the wheel to be move forward for added castor and increased wheel base

[​IMG]

The car passed straight through but had the old boy at the station scratching his head a few times and didn't really understand what he was looking at. So the last 30 minutes of the logged test was spent chatting about hillclimbs lol it's booked in at the same place for next year already.

[​IMG]

18. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

The Prescott driving day was for seat time on the hill as you can't practice there at all and to try and pick up on some more of the technical lines in the complex and the blind semi circle.

After a good breakfast supplied by the venue and a introduction to some like minded petrol heads we suited up and headed up the hill for a talked walk. Nothing better on a summers morning with a cuppa in hand.

After the first 2 runs we all stopped for a briefing and I got pulled out of the crowd of 30 drivers. I though I was in for a *******ing for some reason.

But in fact I got highlighted for being outstanding in Technique and style. Also it was mentioned I was knocking on the door of the road going under 2.0 class record. All good, but quietly I was asked to take it steady and concentrate on fine tuning the lines rather than going faster. Of course I paid attention and the run after that I lost the back end turning into the semi circle spun off the track and went down a bank 50ft backwards at 50mph. But managed to miss all the Armco and hedges. But the farmer had to let me out the bottom of the field next door lol. I was quite embarrassed with such a big off, but the Marshall loved it.

This is the corner I came off on. You can probably see what a drop off it is, quite daunting when turning in on the limit.

[​IMG]

I was formally chastised for coming off but later in the day was awarded TOP Driver. Which is a highly regarded award as my main instructor was Jos Goodyear the Ex British hillclimb champion. Who loved my all out driving style and commented on my committed approach to the hill. One of the other instructors a Ex ladies champion in a Gould who also spends her spare time rebuilding Hewland gearboxes, she was less complementary and described my driving as on a mission and criticised me for driving too hard for a school day. Hey there is only one way drive isn't there 'Flat Out' as Colin would say.

[​IMG]

Lots of 3 wheeling action. Sorry for the watermarked photos on these. I am planning on buying them but haven't had a chance yet,

But the chief instructor was well impressed with the MK1 and enquired about purchasing the car or swapping for his Caterham. Of course a not for sale reply was given and easily understood why not.

So a Overall mark of 85% was given, I'm told it would have been in the 90s if I hadn't crashed lol next person had 83% and was in a Porsche 911 hill climber

[​IMG]

I do have a funny vid of the day with commentary from the instructors which I will upload when I get a chance

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  19. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Overall I must say the car has run very well on events over the last year, but it has suffered a couple of failures while on the road in between them. Firstly a alternator went down on the way up to Retro Rides at Shelsey Walsh, so that ended the day before it had even started, as I didn't have a spare. And was a right pain to pick up a genuine bosch brand new one, it's a MK3 unit which I thought wouldn't have been a problem. Seems like VW are stopping production on a lot of older parts.

[​IMG]

And later on in the year the facet fuel pump died and blew a fuse for the ECU which sent us down the wrong direction fixing it, but within a hour I was on the road down to Merlin Motorsports to pick up another.

[​IMG]

We also fitted a JMR Satchell Eng shifter which had made the world of difference. A few teething problems with fitting and set up but all sorted now and it's a joy to use.

The chassis had to be modified slightly and the compbrake solid steering rack mounts needed milling down a fraction which wasn't a big issue. I did have some problems shifting from 3rd down to 2nd when flat out, but with a few modifications to the shifter mechanism itself and to one of the linkage rods it was spot on and I love it. So much I've decided to stick with the 020 rather then fitting a 02A Quaife dog box or even a SEQ box. You can't beat a good H pattern and going through the gears. Pure enjoyment.

Shifter in place

[​IMG]

New linkage installed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also a USRallyTeam clutch cable mount bush was fitted giving a much better pedal feel. The whole drive train feels so much more solid and connected now. I'm surprised how much of a difference it made to the whole package.

[​IMG]

As ever fixes and modifications. :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    1.8T_mk2 and Sirguydo like this.
  20. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Ive decided on a change of seating for this year, I've always loved the Sparco Evo's as my first ever bucket seat was the same. But I wasn't a fan of the blue seats and after many years of racing in winged seats I found the low side support of these to be insufficient so decided to buy something a bit more appropriate.

The old sparcos

[​IMG]

So ive gone for a Recaro Racer SPA Hans Kevlar Carbon seat. I opted for the standard width version which is a bit snug but with the diet I'm on will be perfect come Race season I hope lol. The winged Hans seat offers so much head protection its a must for competition.

[​IMG]

Fitted in place

[​IMG]

That Ali foot rest has to go far too heavy and I can't stand chequered plate.

[​IMG]

I'm also upgrading the 4 point Williams harness to a 6 point with a crutch strap. Not only for safety but they hold you in place so much better. So that's on order with demon thieves. I shouldn't say that really as the have just put me on there sponsorship scheme and have given me some reasonable discounts recently.

gogsie, 1.8T_mk2, Nige and 1 other person like this.