Golf MK1 Hillclimb-Sprint Car

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Dub Nutta, Feb 8, 2009.

1. gogsie New Member

Ah right no i was car 60, there was no car details as i was a late entry.

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Thanks for sharing those pictures on here and on FB.

3. jamesa Forum Junkie

Recalling my road class times of 2004 - 2006 ... pre the track resurfacing.

Mk1 with 1800 8v ~ 140bhp was in the 36`s

Mk2 with 2000 16v ~ 170bhp ? was in the 35`s

I`ve spent more time cutting the .....y grass there than driving the track lol

Hoping to get the Mk1 back there ... sometime :o

Thanks for the update - photos :thumbup:

4. gogsie New Member

Thats good times, its a very tricky track i get fed up with folk saying "its very short" when they've never driven it. I managed to get a 33.24 in the end i reckon i could have been in the 32's but my last run was full of missed gears probably due to me over driving the thing!.

Next year i will be using slicks as everyone else doe's in the class but i'd like to go 8" rims so a bit of work is required before that will happen.

5. gogsie New Member

So i made the long trip south and attended a trackday at Anglesey recently . It was a hell of drive there and back with my Caddy on towing duties but definitely worth the trip. Its a very demanding track compared to my local Knockhill, The afternoon Coastal track setup was my preferred option which seemed to suit the FWD machines a little better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next event for me and probably the last for this year was the penultimate round of the British Hillclimb Championship at Doune.
    I borrowed some slicks from the B2 class winner this year to get used to them before i bite the bullet next year. Wow they have seen a full season and more and still worked very well on the Golf, it took me a while to get my head round the grip level and push myself that bit further it didn't help that i had a bad vibration coming from the front all weekend which had me dismantle half the suspension to see if my rose joints where goosed but all looked ok and in the end i just had to drive through it.
    Sat practice saw a 51:46 as fastest time for me which is way off my PB of 50:29. Sun was better as i ended up with a 50:54 still shy of my PB and most annoyingly still not in the 49's.
    So a lot of work to do suspension wise over the winter and hopefully get into the proper B2 times.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. sports racer Forum Member

That's the money shot right there.

Love it!

7. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

:thumbup:

8. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Excellent, saw that for sale and considered a punt. Very good build that was. Has it still got the Exe-tc rear dampers on it?

http://www.exe-tc.co.uk/

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  9. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

10. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

It's a cracking car Rob and still in stunning condition. As good as a factory team build. Truly a credit to Ray.

I thought it was very good value to be honest. Hasn't actually been used that much since Ray sold it. Still feels fresh. It's had a few track days, a Nurburgring trip and 3 hillclimbs. 2 owners since 2009. Just had a new hot golf rebuilt CR box and peloquin diff, full overhaul, cam belt, water pump etc Still MOT'd as well and is already MSA log booked.

I have the full history file here, even the bill of sale when Rays dad bought it for him when he was a Young lad back in 2001 inc some pictures when it was a 1.3 with gti arches and interior. Also I have all the invoices for parts for the build. What is especially nice is all Rays hand written technical calculations for the engine build, Inlet runner lengths, pulse tuning calculations and Custom parts. Inc some solid works diagrams. So nearly everything from the last 16 years.

Yep has the full exe tc dampers on it group N rears and re engineered weitec bodied exe-tc fronts with remote cans. Engine is still really strong did 206 on dyno this year. Its one of the best Motorsport prepared MK1s I've seen in the UK. I've spoken to a few people who considered buying it.

I've got a list of things to do but nothing to change the ethos and soul of the car. This is one MK1 that isn't getting berg cup treatment! The 1781cc engine is staying as well.

Plan is a few events in the midland hillclimb championship this year. :thumbup:

11. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

And now is in my storage facility :thumbup:

MUSHY 16V likes this.
  12. MUSHY 16V

Tidy will save me asking Gordon
    Glad it got a new home

13. MUSHY 16V

threads now merged :)

14. gogsie New Member

Glad your liking it, Plans sound good and maybe one day when circumstances change i could buy it back haha.

Anyway keep us posted and above all keep using it for what it was built for.

Its very sadly missed, even my wife is a little sad its gone!.

MUSHY 16V likes this.
  15. Yoof Forum Member

Looks cracking!

16. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Gordon,

It was good to meet you the other week and thanks for taking so much time to chat when we met. It is a little cracker of a car. I'm growing very fond of it already. If I ever sell it I will give you first refusal. But have a feeling it might be a keeper.

I think a JMR gear linkage and shifter is on the cards first and I'd like to fit some composite panels to drop the weight further. I've also been thinking about a triangulated rear axel. Other things planned is getting the driver seat lower its a bit high for me so I might weld in some proper rails and remove the factory cross bracing.

But just looking forward to getting out in it.

17. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

18. MUSHY 16V

here is two pictures i took last year

IMG_20150728_193200_zps0zaoqqfn.jpg

IMG_20150728_192900_zps8azdikxv.jpg

Toyotec and pascal77uk like this.
  19. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Just been sorting out the paperwork for the insurance with competition car insurance. I must say it was a incredible product they supplied and have the cars full specification. So I thought I'd post it up here as it makes for interesting reading

VW Golf 1984 1781cc 16v ITB Hill Climb Competition car.

Low mileage 1984 1.3 Driver shell. Weight 750kgs

Fully seam welded. Roll Centre FIA 12pt weld in roll cage. Rear wheel well removed, aluminium cover, professionally finished in Audi laser red.

ENGINE:

MIKE TARR ( RATT RACING) BUILT 16 V ENGINE PRODUCING 207BHP/145lb/ft @ 7600 RPM.

1781cc block, Kolben Schmit forged pistons (11.8:1cr), forged g60 crank, 1.8t forged con rods, Schrick sump, windage tray. Dave Crissel ported large port (026 casting) cylinder head, 283/279 cat cam's with adjustable pulley, Iskenderian valve springs and retainer's, lightweight hydraulic lifter's, lightened and balanced pistons, rods and crank assembly with helix sprung paddle clutch.

Suzuki 48mm tapered throttle bodies on bespoke pulse tuned and port matched inlet manifold, jenvey 120mm trumpets, ITG megaflow filter, 250cc Bosch injectors, 1.8t fuel rail with aeroquip stainless steel braided fuel hoses, Omex 600 ecu and tailored loom (complete with manual, software and USB windows xp setup)

Supersprint group A exhaust comprising of stainless steel 4-2-1 manifold and 2.5" system, fitted with lambda bosss and hung on stainless steel wire mountings.

New OE Mk1 gti fuel tank, facet pump feeding a mk2 16v swirl pot with nitrile rubber and copper nickel pipework throughout. can run very low level's with no fuel starvation.

bespoke aluminium radiator (204x800) with 50mm pace core. aluminium header tank,silcone hoses,bespoke aluminium fabricated water outlet's and 74 deg thermostat. mocal 235x 16 row oil cooler with aeroquip hoses and constant flow sandwich plate.

GEARBOX:

Mk2 ACD CR box, 8v casing and internally re-worked to improve oil flow to 5th gear.Peloquin atb differential, 4.25 final drive, 100mm driveshaft's with new gkn cv boots. TSR spherical bearing gear linkage with recent OE replacement bushes and short shift.

BRAKE:

Willwood 6:1 bias pedal box with remote reservoirs, wilwood bias valve in rear line. carbon 12 (tuthills porsche) 6 pot radial mount callipers with 305x28mm discs (OE Cupra r), pagid rs4-2 pads (blue), hel ss braided lines, OE drums at rear.

SUSPENSION:

Custom exec-tc c&t damper's WRC Specification with spherical bearing front (adjustable) and rear top mounts, spherical adjustable wishbones(increased castor), poly bushed rear beam, Eibach 25mm rear arb, Neuspeed 28mm front arb, bespoke t45 front strut brace. hubs fitted with studs and nuts.

INTERIOR

Sparco EVO seats with Willians 6 pt harness, Sparco dished steering wheel and boss, polycarbonate windows with front sliders, lightweight door cards front and rear.

Stack st200 Rev counter with shift light and tell tale record facility.

Racetech oil pressure, oil and water temp gauges in bespoke panel, bright 6 warning light's and digital speedo/fuel gauge.

Battery cut off switch.

ATS DTC Lightweight wheels (7X15") with Kumho V70A fitted..

Sirguydo, Toyotec, sparrow and 3 others like this.
  20. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Well after a manic few days with the mk1 I've managed my first real update and report. Hope it's a decent read.

The car has been been in storage under a cover since i picked it up. Work has been so busy and with a new house project underway time has been limited. But it was bought to be used and since we are 5 miles from Prescott hillclimb the idea was to sprint it there over the summer. So Prescott's first event of the year was on the 23/24th. A big event at Prescott, the season opener of the British hillclimb championship.

Our entry was confirmed a week before the event so plenty to sort out. Along with sorting a new helmet as my old sparco had gone out of date at the start of 2016. Bloody annoying. So a phone call to demon tweaks and a new a Stilo composite arrived. Would have loved a carbon one but at double the price just couldn't justify it. Must say I'm pleased with it and the fit was spot on.

[​IMG]

So things kicked off on Wednesday and we headed up to BMTR to pick up some Avon slicks in A15 Super soft compound, really helpful guys and Managed to get the car over to the unit for a pre event check on Thursday. A few things needed sorting out. Nothing too major just fabricate a new catch tank as the old one was a plastic oil container. Make a timing strut to comply with the regs for breaking the beams. The hand brake cables were rubbing on the inside of the wheel so needed tying back to the beam and the seat moved to get a better driving position. A full nut and bolt check. And not to forget a last minute rush down to Merlin Motorsport for a battery cut off pull cable which was seized and snapped where the wires had worn. There were a few other bits but not enough time before Saturday. Gordon had done a excellent job with the car last season so it was mostly a pre season run through.

[​IMG]

The new Avon Crossplys needed a specific camber and toe set up to work optimally so a quick set up tweak and everything was spot on. We took a degree of camber off the front and set the toe to parallel. Rears were a bit high at -1degree but not enough to cause too many problems for the weekend. I will shim them when I get a chance to -.5, but will do for now. Car felt much better after and wasn't so twitchy on the brakes with the toes sorted. Originally both fronts were toeing left a bit.

[​IMG]

We headed back to the house loaded up and made our way over to Prescott to get settled ready for the next day.

Then it dawned on me. I hadn't been in competition since 2009, my last real track day was in 2010, so I'm taking on a new Motorsport discipline, in car I haven't driven in anger or tested, at a circuit I've never driven with no real testing possible, on Super soft slicks I've never used, at one of the biggest hillclimb events of the year, the British championship opener. Genius or just stupid! I still can't decide. As one of the local hillclimbs said to me 'straight in a the deep end then' funny as once a racer always a racer so didn't think twice about it. But hadn't realised how rusty I'd be lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I hadn't sprinted on the hill before one of the requirements was to walk the course before signing on at 8am so I arrived at 7am set up the tent and set off for the walk. I can't describe quite how stunning the track is. Truly breath taking and something naturally special. Many man made courses seem so fabricated in comparison but this was epic. But concerning at the same time. It was very greasy under the trees on the top section and on a lot of corners it had thick moss growing up to 2ft in from the Armco on corners, so even straying a fraction off centre line would result in a trip to the Armco. And when the road isn't much more than 10ft wide that isn't much room for error. But a great walk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to the pits and Slicks were fitted, timing strut attached, signed on, drivers briefing completed and scrutineering passed. Phew.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scrutineering was no where as in depth as for circuit racing. I had made sure the car was was on the money but still it's always a relief once the car is passed.

[​IMG]

The first 2 practice laps were more like sighting laps for me just getting my head around the layout and a chance to feel how the car behaves when lent on. By the end of Saturday I was pretty tired from the waiting around all day between runs but pleased we were both still in once piece lol

Toyotec likes this.