Golf MK1 Hillclimb-Sprint Car

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Dub Nutta, Feb 8, 2009.

1. jamesa Forum Junkie

Thanks ... that would suit me as I have a 9A in my Mk1 :thumbup:

The MSA S12 engines section now allows any make and type of engine, was sure that it used to be manufacturer and model specific ? ... hence my Saloon Libre comment.

Good luck with the gearbox rebuild.

2. gogsie New Member

Box dropped off at the guy i trust will make a good job for me. He has looked after my old Clio over the years and sorted it out so i'm confident he will be the same with this one.

Thanks for the info/help lads much appreciated.

My thoughts are wondering now as if the internals are damaged beyond repair now would be a good time to play with the ratio's. Anyone got some suggestions for a good hillclimb/sprint setup?.

The old A2 class winning Clio.
    [​IMG]

3. gogsie New Member

The gearbox is not in good shape!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Nothing money wont fix! Nice car, which part of scotland you from?
    Jon

5. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Shame. You need to pull the Quaife apart to see if the water has got in there or not. Hopefully not and that's reusable. I'd personably skip the box, it all looks a bit dodgy and obviously been a lot of water in there at some point, better getting a new clean 8v box and rebuilding that. 16v is no better, no matter what you hear, and the 8v is more plentiful and more parts available.

As for hillclimbing I used to use an FM/FD gear set (early 1600 gti - its the closest std ratio set available) with a 4.47FD. Then just use 2nd of the line, the rest are nice and tight. The problem could be that mine is a full race 2.0 8v and quite big power so will pull 2nd gear no probs even with sticky slicks, an 1800 16v might struggle a bit with the gear. A safer bet might be sticking with the 4.25 FD and using 1st gear - also 1st to 2nd is a better shift than going across the box with 2nd to 3rd. The problem is 1st to 2nd ratio is a big jump but all std VW boxes use the same 1st! Not sure why yours had the long second gear in it, never understood that theory. Probably comes from the Circuit boys, I can see there could be a use for it on a race circuit but not hillclimbing and sprinting - but everyone has their preference.

VWMS gear kits have a long 1st and much nicer for launching off the line and hairpins, the rest of the gears are nice and tight. The 5 ratios fit where the 4 std one fit (2nd to 5th). 2nd hand VWMS boxes are usually old and you pay your money and take your chances (If you can find one), there is also a collector tax to be paid unless you are lucky. Its probably cheaper to build a new one to be honest, as a few suppliers about. I use a syncro S/C Bacci set from Italy. Once they re engineered the design to suit my engine its been reliable. They say they have upgraded the material and case hardening on all their 020 stock now after my issues so I'd be happy to recommend them. I forget the costs but about 2k for the gear set, FD and diff extra. Plenty of 4.25's about though, 200.00 for the FD gear and matching shaft.

A 4.25 with an FM gearset and a quaife isn't a bad set up though. Probably about the best performance/cost setup.

jamesa likes this.
  6. gogsie New Member

Some good info there cheers.

Where's best to get a new 4:25 CW&P set from?. I tried TPS today but thats a nogo, i see a few aftermarket sets on ebay but not sure on the quality of these?.

I just picked up a free and very seized ACD box so if the gears are ok on this would i be able to use the 2nd gear from it on a 4:25 shaft?.

Also i see theres a difference in input shaft size. mine is 20/21mm od with 24splines doe's this sound right?.

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

My sprint car has an FM with 4.25 and plate diff and as Tony says its a nice compromise, pulling 7500 in top on 20" OD tyres
    Jon
    Siezed ACD box? Not really an ideal starting point for a race box.
    The 4.25 FD has a crownwheel and the pinion is built onto the mainshaft, but you know that already presumably.
    The mainshaft spigot bearing is +1mm on 16V along with the bigger clutch spline setup. You can get your 020 8v casing bored out. I have had it done.
    Not convinced this small change from 8 to 16v input shaft is massively stronger

8. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

I got my 4.47 from bearing supplies years ago but they seem to be less available now, they still do the 4.25 and I've never had any issues with mine so I would suggest the ones available are ok.

MTS motorsport in Germany list a range of FD's some listed as competition, some as std. Their prices seem ok, I'm guessing the std ones are the same source as the eBay suppliers etc.

As Jon says the 16v one has a slightly larger shaft and more splines (24mm I believe)but I think that has to compromise on the bearing to get the larger shaft in. This resulted in a stronger shaft and a weaker bearing - that is what I understand but as I've never had an issue with the 8v boxes I've never looked in to the 16v ones.

Yes, the 2nd gear would be fine (as long as its good as Jon also says). Except for the 8v/16v issue all the box parts are pretty much interchangeable. The early ones have a weaker 5th gear set up I believe, your gearbox man should be able to help there. I know there are certain things that Hotgolf always changes on my boxes. Little things but it makes for a more reliable box, certain gears, fixings and bits and pieces. I don't ask he just tells me he's upgraded this and that :).

Worth using a set of MK2 cases (or late MK1) as you can then use the box on a MK2 as well as a MK1, the MK2 cases also allow the use of 100mm cups, should you wish. The MK2 cases have a few extra holes on the diff housing to take the MK2 gear linkage or mountings - can't recall what but I know the early MK1 cases are missing them for sure.

9. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

If you want super low, then a 4.8 is great. I have an 020 FD ratio and 4.8 with quaife diff in my mk2, and for tarmac single venues its great. It'll have stuff all top end but around chicanes its excellent. And your into 5th gear everywhere. You'd think wheelspin would be a massive issue, but it doesn't appear to be, with 190hp anyway
    Jon

10. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

shame i had a FM out of my mk1 only got rid of it when i moved a few years back

as i said on the other thread it looks to have sat with the speedo drive open to the elements for a while

11. gogsie New Member

Ebay to the rescue again!, I stumbled across a fully rebuilt (by Hotgolf) race box from a MK2 so it was quickly snapped up and i set about fitting it yesterday which went very well. So its alive again and running great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [video=youtube;u1BXwwynd9k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1BXwwynd9k[/video]

and yes i did use axle stands they where in my hand when i took the pic.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  12. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Engine sounds rather angry!

13. gogsie New Member

Well completed my first hillclimb in the MK1 and i'm well chuffed with it. A few handling issue to tweek but apart from that its a hoot to drive and i managed to set PB times on both days beating my old Clio times.

[video=youtube;T3po6urdAxY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3po6urdAxY[/video]
    [video=youtube;5bzfcLNwTJE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bzfcLNwTJE[/video]

14. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Nice car! Hill climing looks like fun :thumbup:

15. jamesa Forum Junkie

:thumbup: C0 car 78 ;)

Fintray`s looking good ...

16. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

nice car bud!

17. gogsie New Member

Some more pics from last weekends antics.

17979274090_4e4b92a629_b.jpg
    17546403363_a207fc40e1_b.jpg
    18140510636_6571c1aef5_b.jpg
    18167001515_ff723d6eb0_b.jpg

Also had a wee photoshoot with the generation of R's we have in our family
    17157455338_a28d01b33a_b.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  18. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wish I could of gone to fintray looked a good day
    Good result :thumbup:

19. gogsie New Member

do you know him?

20. jamesa Forum Junkie

Thought that 78 was yourself as there is no car listed against 60 in the results ... even though you had said that you would be in B2.