Help!!! MK2 8V half aircon

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Donnymk2, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

Just Got myself a 1.6 driver tow away!! for 300 already with chromed RS splits and coilovers, ported and polished head, stainless maniflod and a weber carb etc but for some reason it also came with "all"?? the parts for a/c, which i assume will take a chunk of all that gained power away but the airbox and radiator came fitted but no glovebox or shelf But the main problem is that although the pump bracket fits on the engine the altenator doesn't!! I'm assuming i've got brackets and pulleys from a 16V as the wiring came attactched to a 16V idle control relay! Tried as many breakers as i can find but no one can help!! can i use mk3 parts?? Any help would be Great!!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

speak to andrewF, he has the aircon pump & brackets off a MK2 8v engine, which should be everything you'll need to get the alternator to fit as well :)

3. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

:) Cheers I was beginning to loose hope!! sent him a message so fingers crossed i'll be driving to E38 in my own airconditioned car this year :)

4. rubjonny

Cool!

P.S. You lucky b'tard :lol:

5. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

I thought so until half the aircon was wrong can't complain too much though!! :lol: While i'm at it you ever heard of bbs rs 047 thats the code on my wheels! They fit perfect with an offset of e38 can't find any info on them!!

6. rubjonny

Very nice wheels, iirc they were a rare option on G60 Golfs & the Rado?

7. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

your a true fountain of knowledge Cheers!!

8. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

[:^(] The search continues went down got the bracket came back fitted it realised there was nowhere for the PAS Bracket [xx(]

9. rubjonny

The PAS bracket uses the same mounting threads as the waterpump, but with longer bolts. I was surprised to see the waterpump almost fall off once I stripped the aircon bracket off AndrewF's 8v lump!

10. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

Lost me now!! Does that mean I'm not screwed?? I sat out there for ages trying to make it fit its the adjustment for the PAS that i can't mount hopefully i've put some pics on here
    This is the bracket off Andys car
    [​IMG]
    this ones what came with the car
    [​IMG]
    this is the one that was fitted when i got the car
    [​IMG]

plus some pics of my new car

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/Donnymk2/PICT0297.jpg
    http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/Donnymk2/PICT0296.jpg
    http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/Donnymk2/PICT0295.jpg
    http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/Donnymk2/PICT0294.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  11. gillm

gillm ***** User

don't you have to replace all the seals as that system will use old type gas and the new gas will eat the seals

12. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

No, I thought that, but a professional A/C engineer convered my Mk2 air-con from R12 gas (old type) to R134a (new type) simply by changing the low and high pressure valves where you gas the system. He said it would be fine, that was a good few years ago and it's been fine since, just needs re-gassing every now and again.

Regarding the A/C brackets, mine is on a 16v but the A/C compressor bracket is bolted on with the same mouting points as the water pump, just uses special bolts that are threaded on each end with the 'head' in the middle if you see what I mean. Not sure if the 8v is different but on mine the PAS pump is mounted lower down below the water pump on another bracket. :) The alternator mounts higher up in the bay than it would on a non-A/C Mk2.

Got some pics somewhere which I'll post up but as I say, 8v may well be different?

13. rubjonny

On AndrewF's block, the bolts holding the aircon bracket, also held on the waterpump. So once we removed the aircon bracket the waterpump was loose!

They wern't special bolts though, just longer. The pump mounted to the bracket using 4 bolts through the sides, if you pm AndrewF and ask him nicly he might take some piccies of his bracket ;)

14. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Here's some pics, as I say, this is on my 16v so may be different? Might help you work out where everything goes? :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. rupe Forum Member

It's a bit of a bodge just dumping the R12 and putting R134a in, they use different oils which is where the problem lies.You need to flush all the old oil out the system and refill it with the correct oil for R134a it still works if you don't but it eats the seals as gillm pointed out.

rupe
    (fridge engineer)

16. rubjonny

nope thats defo different to the 8v one, once the bolts were out the waterpump almost dropped off :)

17. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

First off cheers for the pics and advice so far[:D] !! a few Q's so please be patient!! First the a/c pump i have was rebuilt in 2003 and the oil left in the pump is a really bright, almost neon green is it poss to tell what gas it had in it?? second i'm Pretty sure andys bracket was from an after market a/c system coz it sits the pump so low down its a stretch to get the pipes down to it and the genuine vw pump i have doesn't fit the bracket!! From what i remember from etka (which now doesn't work due to my new monitor being widescreen???[:^(] ) there were 2 types of bracket but stu's looks different to the ones i remember!! Mine does use the same special bolts that are threaded both ends!! do you have any pics of the altenator from that because the a/c pump bracket ive got is almost the same but it has an extra lug which fits in the old altenator place!! and the old altenator doesn't fit back on to the a/c bracket!! is it poss that a different altenator will put things right?? though it would sit really high!!
    Sorted the pics out aswell

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  18. rupe Forum Member

If the oil is neon green i expect it's had a die added to help find leaks within the system.

19. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

just found this pic of an 8V engine with a/c I guess this is what i'm aiming for
    [​IMG]

20. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

My alternator mounts high up, like this...

[​IMG]

My setup, though on a 16v, looks very similar to that complete 8v engine you posted a pic of above.
    If I remember correctly, the alternator bolts to the block with an extra little bracket which mounts just above the A/C pump bracket. It's kind of a flat bar with two lugs on the end, a bolt goes through this and the alternator to allow it to pivot to tension the belt.