Help!!! MK2 8V half aircon

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Donnymk2, Jun 20, 2006.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yup the pumps will all bolt up ok, I bolted the mk2 pump to the mk3 bracket ok. The problem is the pulley spacing is different, so I had to strip it off again and use the MK3 pump. Shame as the MK2 pump was reconned, but at least the MK3 pump works ok, touch wood!

2. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

Well I'll find out friday how well its all going to work!! I'm going to try to fit a set of Mk3 clocks with the MFA in aswell, being a '91 I hope it'll be a plug and play apart from the oil and outside temp functions and the vacum hose i'm told for the MPG I'm going to have to make notes on what parts came from which cars incase I ever need replacements or sell it!

3. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Brilliant! Best of luck fitting it all, give me a shout if you need any more pics or info :)

4. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

All is going well so far:) but any ideas how to stabilise the idle ona carb engine? I know that the 16V uses the ISV relay and an Fuel injection 8V uses 2 valve relays to put more air through but no idea how to get similar results from my weber carb! Any ideas???? Or am I just going to have to set the idle high so when the aircons on my car doesn't stop!

5. rubjonny

I think it has an extra air bypass, or the 3/4 point unit is different. Its in the Haynes somewhere!

6. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

Which Haynes have you got?? I've been through both of mine the petrol only one (green) has the most on aircon in it but still only deals with Fuel injection models, i've also been through the bentley manual and the peter russek pocket book and can't find anything!!

7. rubjonny

If you look at the large vacuum diagram it mentions 'to control valve for increased idling, A/C or Automatic models'

Good news is it looks like you can pinch what you need from an automatic model :)

Edit: Heres the valve from ETOS

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  8. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

Couldn't find anywhere for any extra vac lines on the back of my Weber,[:^(] so wondered if i needed parts from a weber from an automatic car, so searched around and found this- http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/Donnymk2/Webergolfinstructions.jpg
    an auto weber doesn't seem to have anything extra vac related just a pipe, unless it goes to something I can't see!

9. rubjonny

Looking at that the auto has an extra vacuum connection, which I assume is blocked off on an non-auto unit, and you should hook the aircon vacuum to that?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  10. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

I'll have to take the carb off to check! Finally got all the wiring in though BIG thanks :clap: to your electrical FAQ! Possibly the most usefull thing on here!!

11. rubjonny

no problem, it was really bugging me that I'd have to scroll thru pages & pages of diagrams to figure out where stuff goes, so thought f*k it, I'll write it all down!

12. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

you've got more patients than me then I spent 20 mins trying to figure out the haynes flow diagrams and gave up! I was close to calling in an auto electrician! Using that FAQ its easy why couldn't haynes manual have that??

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  13. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

Found the vac connection on the carb the guy i bought the car from had reconnected it to the old vac system. Hopefully problem solved, phoned some breakers about that vac solenoid they recomended I get a new one from VAG!

14. rubjonny

Its 45.57+VAT if you really want to buy it new ;)
    Worth checking with GSF first though.