Help!!! MK2 8V half aircon

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Donnymk2, Jun 20, 2006.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

On AndrewF's 8v lump, the alternator mounts to the original location.

Just had a brainwave! The difference between the 2 setups, is probably if you have PAS or not. Without PAS you can use the setup on AndrewFs block, but if you have PAS as well you'll need to mount the aircon pump higher up so you can squeeze the PAS pump in as well!

2. rubjonny

Aha! now your pics work I can see your problem, the bracket you have from Andys car is the same as the one AndrewF has, as you can see the bolt holes line up with the waterpump mounting bolts.

Your issue is you also have a PAS pump bracket, which will not work with that setup, I suspect you need one like STU has, and pictured on that nice shiny 8v engine you have there, see where the PAS pump is located underneath?

Edit: It turns out Andy and AndrewF are the same person :lol:

3. rubjonny

Might be easier to find a MK3 with aircon and pinch the PAS, Aircon, water pumps pulleys & brackets etc off it!

4. AndrewF Forum Addict

:lol:

can't really add anything that rubjonny has not already said...i don't really know much about aircon. hope you get it sorted then, sounds like a PITA, but will be worth it when you've done it.

5. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

[:D] I'm sure it''ll be worth it!! The missus [:x] however, doesn't see things quite the same way! The Mk3 idea!! Any one know if that'll work, I know you can swap the bottom end from a mk3 so I guess going by that its worth a try, meanwhile I think my poor explanations are making this a little more complicated than it has to be!! so some more pics of the bracket fitted and the difference in the altenator mounting points, (hopefully resized this time)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Think I'll owe a few people a few pints if I ever get this sorted
    (wiring will be the next bit of fun)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  6. rubjonny

For the MK3 idea to work you would need pretty much everything off it, all the brackets, pulleys, belts etc. Probably should take the complete waterpump too just to be safe.

All the mounting points on the block will be there, you'll just have to clean out the threads. TBH, if you find one, I'd ask how much for the complete bottom end, then you can get a bit more power to make up for the drain from the aircon system :)

7. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

Any idea what bottom end i could use my engine is an ez 1.6 91 it already has a ported polished head a weber carb and a stainless manifold , I'll but a post in the engines forum aswell

8. rubjonny

2e engine code will fit straight in, simply fit your head onto it and away you go. Though thinking about it, you may have a problem with the dizzy!
    TSR used to supply the adaptor plates which allowed you to fit a MK2 dizzy to a MK3 block, but they have now gone under :(

9. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

[:^(]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  10. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

Looked into the mk3 bottom end as I already have a stainless manifold that has little clearence as it is so i'd need a "bubble block" which is hard to find on its own even without the a/c stuff!! will a mk3 a/c bracket will fit my engine and what engine would it come off? A 2E???
    on a plus side found all the engine mounts are vibratech:)

11. rubjonny

All the mounting studs on the 2e block are present on your existing lump, I think even the setup from a 16v ABF will swap over too!
    Passats are probably more likly to have aircon, as long as you get all the pulleys brackets & the waterpump you should be ready to roll :)

Edit: If you find one in a scrappy can always test fit it on a MK2 there ;)

12. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

Cheers! more to look into!! :lol: It'll be winter by the time i get this sorted!!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  13. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

been looking into it been told i'd need to change the PAS pump aswell?? and maybe alter the PAS pipes!! My local breakers all remove the engines and strip the parts so i can't go and compare so I know its a long shot but does any one have a pic of a 8V Mk3 engine bay with a/c and PAS!!

14. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Wheres your

Condenser
    Evaporator
    Expansion valve
    High and Low side piping?

15. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

condensor is mounted in front of the rad, evaporator is inside the car in the airbox with the expansion valve coming directly off that into the engine bay under the header tank!
    only have 1 pipe at the moment and that comes from the condensor across the top of the rad fan cowling and down into the compressor!!

16. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

well the other way round but sounds like u got most of the bits

17. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

Yeah all but The pipe from the airbox to the compressor and a bracket for mounting the compressor I've had plenty of ideas from the forums but hearing different things from different people as to what it would take to fit a mk3 compressor bracket!!

18. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

Just found a mk2 16v breaking which has complete aircon, glove box, lower shelf, brackets, pipes vac res, absolutely everything so i've handed over my money and got all the parts I need plus a complete set of spares!! Its taken long enough so hoping it'll all work out!

19. rubjonny

Yeah you'll need the pas pump from whatever aircon setup you have. I had no problems using the MK3 pump from my 2e engine with my MK2 PAS setup, they just plugged straight in.

20. Donnymk2

Donnymk2 Forum Member

from the picks i've seeen of it so far it looks like it should just fit upto the pas bracket I already have! If I remember correctly the guy who sold me the car said the PAS came from a 16V any way he just used an 8V bracket on the engine!! Though I decided to take of the old pulleys in anticipation of the new a/c and found theres an ally spacer been made to space the pick up for the pas pump??!! Weird[:s]