hottuning/raceland manifold?

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by hooblah, Sep 3, 2010.

1. hooblah Forum Member

i need a manifold for my mk1 abf conversion, but it has to be a 4-2-1. the only ones i could find were the supersprint one and the hottuning/raceland one which looks like an exact copy of the supersprint. are there any others?

does anyone know anything about the hottuning/raceland manifold? (i.e. quality)

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

3. hooblah Forum Member

hardly any info in there at all mate ;)

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just trying to help - I can't read threads end to end prior to linking them!

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Feel free to try the search function near the top of the page.

Buy supersprint if you can afford it. Buy something else if you can't, but don't expect it to fit or last as well, (or make a downpipe from a Mk1 and a Mk2 downpipe if you can weld).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  6. hooblah Forum Member

the supersprint costs 500. i could have one custom made for that price!

what do you mean make a downpipe from a mk1 and a mk2 downpipe? i need a manifold, not just a downpipe.

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

In which case use those threads I've linked to for prices on the alternative manifolds.

And before you say there's no info on them again, I've checked ;)

This might interest you too.

8. hooblah Forum Member

it doesnt matter now, ive just bought the hottuning one for 200 :)

lol you want me to pay 10 again for another membership pack?

9. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

Youth of today [:v:] not even a thank you for taking the time to put of some links cos he was to lazy to use the search function.

I too have been looking into exhaust manifolds and have found the supersprint one for alot less than 500 notes and not much more than you paided for your cheap, won't last hot tuning one.

10. hooblah Forum Member

oh sorry, thank you for posting links which contained hardly any info ;)
    i want a 4-2-1 manifold and there are only 2 companies that supply them.

mk1g6turbo - please go on...

11. Admin Guest

i read both those threads, full of info and prices.. and peoples experiences with them all.

what more do you want to get?

12. hooblah Forum Member

there was no info that i benefitted from. thanks anyway.

13. danster Forum Addict

If you already knew all the info that those two threads showed you are a smart cookie. Cannot believe you can't hunt down a manifold with such knowledge. ;)
    You are coming across a little arrogant though, so it would be nice to keep it a little more polite and helpful.

The bottom line is there are clearance issues with trying to fit any make of manifold on a mk1 with a 16v short block, never mind the tall block adding to the problem.
    HTH :thumbup:

14. hooblah Forum Member

well ive tried doing a bit of research but ive had no luck other than those 2 threads already mentioned. there seems to be hardly any info out there about the hottuning manifolds so i asked to see if anyone else knew anything, and clearly noone does. yet people seem to **** them off... (is s.lag really that offensive?)

oh did i mention that they come with a 10 year guarantee? not bad for something that has 'quality issues'.

i'll update this thread when mine arrives ;)

15. Admin Guest

hottuning is cheap for a reason, it doesn't last long, no end of coilover issues on the forums, but what do you expect when you pay 200 for a set of coilovers?

there are many other threads about other hottuning products out there. none of them have rave reviews.

if yours works with no issues great:thumbup:

You've asked for peoples opinions and help on the matter and have received it.:)

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

If they do last 10 years, and if they fit properly, then they're a bargain at that price. I'd have my doubts though. Make sure your engine mounts are in good nick.

17. hooblah Forum Member

the car is being totally rebuilt from the ground up, so everything is getting renewed or replaced with uprated parts.

i'd rather hack up a 200 manifold to get it to fit than do the same to something costing me twice that. most companies charge 300 at the most for a nice stainless manifold, and i fail to see why the supersprint should cost over 100 more. i doubt they use any special materials or techniques to make them but i guess they can get away with it because people are willing to pay that much.

with any luck the manifold will turn up in a couple of days time and then we'll see :)

chris - i have been trying to find out more about it but there really doesnt seem to be much info out there. it seems like noones bought the manifolds except for the saxo and 106 brigade lol.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  18. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

What is your engineering reason why you must use a ****e manifold. What is the delta in performance between this "uprated part" and a STD one. If you cannot answer any of the above then I am afraid you are wasting both your 200 quid and time.

19. hooblah Forum Member

i would like everything to flow better. generally speaking, a more laminar flow = more power. the reason i want to use a 4-2-1 is because they have more torque at lower rpm than a 4-1. why this is i dont know, but apparently they do.
    I dont know what the delta is between a standard manifold and this hottuning one, but many people do fit tubular manifolds and report a gain in performance.

from what little information i have managed to gather, hardly anyone has used or seen a hottuning manifold in the flesh, but they all 'know' they are crap. this is not proof enough for me. if i deem the quality of this manifold to be crap then i will most certainly be sending it back, but there is only one way of finding out for sure.

20. chrismc Forum Junkie

Has the hot-tuning manifold been dyno-developed for a proven gain?[:s]

Aren't they the same people who make them oh-so-wonderful quality coilovers too?[:$]

Jack of all trades, master of none;) That's why they are cheap....

You sound like the kind of "expert" to make a silk purse from a sows ear though, so please dont let others experience stand in your way...:lol: