Ibiza Cupra R Master Cylinder Reservoir - Part Number?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Classy6, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Classy6 Forum Member

Would be ideal to find a cheap MC/reservoir set-up without having to modify anything for a straight fit.

Silicone :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Are you going to use all 4 outlets or blank 2 off? If you blanked 2 off could you do any of them or would it have to be a certain 2 (left/right or fronts/backs)?

I've got mine now and cut off the lug, made a 3mm spacer, fitted the mk2 seals. Whats next? Do you leave the rubber washer in place on the master cyliner to seal against the spacer? I think i'll make a thin rubber seal to go between the servo and spacer.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  3. Classy6 Forum Member

You don't hang about. I still need to order the seals :lol:

Mine only has 2 outlets on the left side (pig to make brake lines for as it's tight, I'd use the right side if you have a 4 port) so you will either need to block off the additional outlets (use two on one side, block off the other side) & run it like factory... or if you want to run all 4 & have them going to each individual caliper you could do that to, albeit much more work.

I left the rubber seal on against the spacer, can't see it making much difference either way to be honest as it doesn't need to seal that bit. Either a seal or liquid gasket, matter of preference, as long as it does seal.

After all that's been installed & connected up - nothing, just bleed the brakes/clutch if applicable & tell us how it goes :thumbup:

4. 1990

I've made a seal for the spacer out of an old inner tube, its slightly ribbed but i'm sure it will seal. I'll block off the left ones, which are bigger, and use the other 2.

I've also got a 2 outlet one on the way (bid on 2 won 2 [:$]), i'll have to sell that on.

Whats the neatest way to blank the bigger ones off, what size are they?

Cheers

Ian

5. Classy6 Forum Member

The outlets on the left side of the cylinder (if looking at it installed on a fitted servo) are m12x1. I didn't realise the 4 port has 2 different size outlets?

6. mikeb New Member

Just bought one of the bosch master cylinders

[​IMG]

Then cut the lug off
    [​IMG]

fitted the mk2 master cylinder seals
    [​IMG]

What i did in stead of fitting a spacer drilled down the master cylinder tube 3mm and it fits perfect.
    [​IMG]

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

afaik its not the tube that is the problem, but rather the piston inside where the servo pin pushes. if you dont use a spacer then your brakes will be on slightly

8. mikeb New Member

The main tube is shorter so when you drill 3mm down the centre bore it still doesn't touch the back of the servo and doesn't affect anything.

9. rubjonny

oic, you drilled down the middle of the tube thats fine then! thought you meant you cut down the back :thumbup:

10. 1990

Did you do that with a hand held or something a bit more professional?

11. Classy6 Forum Member

Mike what reservoir did you use in end? Do you have a valid part number?

12. mikeb New Member

Just used a pillar drill went down with a small drill bit first to gauge the 3mm then slowly increased size.

13. mikeb New Member

bottle is from a 1996 mk3 golf 2.0 16v

14. RMN

rmn Forum Member

I am only just after seeing this.
    So what is the best solution?
    I will be running it in a 1992 corrado with ibiza brembo's up front.
    I take it that a 4 port master cylinder would be best for this.
    Looking at it the best way to fit it seems with the 3mm spacer and the mk2 resevoir, or corrado in my case and make up new hard brake lines as needed.
    Where sells the conversion spacer?
    Or does somebody have plans to sell a kit?

15. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

look at post #17 there is a link

16. RMN

rmn Forum Member

Thanks Nut20V

17. Classy6 Forum Member

To save making a new thread..

Albeit this is a lazy question but I spent some time bleeding the brakes on my mk2, especially the 8 tiny nipples on the wilwoods!

After cutting the lug off the cupra master cylinder, I've fitted a mk2/corrado reservoir - yet I can't see (now it's fitted) how it secures itself to the master cylinder? There isn't anything visible that looks like it could be used to secure the reservoir?

During the first round of bleeding I had a pressure bleeder set at the standard 2 bar & it actually managed to pop the reservoir out of the seals.

Any pictures/ info on how it's secured would be much appreciated, saves me having to make a massive mess taking the reservoir off again or making some custom bracket to hold it down.

Ta.

18. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Ah ha! A question I needed to ask also.
    I think the Ibiza bottle had a pin through it as the bit we had to shave off had a hole for one.
    I have a feeling the bottle just gets wedged into the seals. You need to use the mk2 seals and they fit tight. I'm not sure I have my bottle all the way down into the seals but it seems nice and strong. I might put some lockwire around the bottle and MC though for piece of mind. As you say you don't want it popping off.
    Managed to bleed mine properly this weekend and they are amazing. Need to bed the DS2500's in but I can already feel the potential.

19. rubjonny

ya the std mk2 reservoir has no fixings at all, and they sont pop off when bleeding. as said make sure you fit the right seals and you should be ok

20. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Looking at this picture...
    [​IMG]

Mine is not down that far, I have a few mm left between the bottle and seal.