K-Jet ignition mapping K-Star/unichip?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by chrismc, Jan 1, 2011.

1. SCOTG New Member

The tool ian is referring to is the quantity compariter which allows you to check flow rates on k jet. As far as i know they still have it and use it. As he has stated there is no secret to CFJ. And to reiterate what chrismc said that it is not suggested that anybody is ignorant or missing anything but attention to detail can sometimes help. Whoever started the secret 'thing' therory is sorely mistaken.

2. chrismc Forum Junkie

I'm sure many of the latest custom mapped/Megasquirt ABF engines floating about must be in the ballpark of the CFJ/VUC outputs thanks to time and effort spent perfecting the fuelling/ignition....vw-Singhs mk1 springs to mind?

All a result of dyno-time/on-road mapping using a wideband as req'd...

These excellent results have been achieved with stock cams/internals & ?head? too...

Add the suitable performance hardware & yet more power would surely be forthcoming??

I think Graham/Ian have just got engines that have benefitted hugely from old-school dyno time/ trial & error tuning & any hints/tips/peculiarities picked up by TSR from their Slick 50 car prep-work.

3. vwp6n Forum Member

very well summed up Chris, least it is clear that there is no secret and with enough time,effort and money the results can be replicated,

with regards to the metering head, does anyone know what is different with a VW Motorsport metering head compared to a standard 16v?

i know a company that do uprated metering heads so was thinking along those lines if i was to try push what i have any further.

4. ianb Forum Member

We tried the Msport metering head...I managed to get that from AmD years ago.

After much time we ditched it as it was over fuelling the car.

BTW I think the the 'THING' was started by a small clique on here! There was never any secrets.

There was alot of banter over the Schrick split durations though. They were only part of the sum parts used on my car....no secret bits though! The combination of the parts I choose and the set up I wanted which was Kjet on the budget I had resulted in a great package.

5. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

And for anyone yet to see CFJ or VUC in action, get yourself down to Combe next time they are there and enjoy!:thumbup: They really do fly round very very well.

Gurds

6. ianb Forum Member

Cheers m8! :thumbup:

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It would be improper of me to name whom I was speaking to recently, a private conversation clearly is just that. But you do know that the car has courted controversy, folk that you've been to Bruntingthorpe with, rolling days with etc. You do know that some of this has been perpetuated by the folks at these meets, as well as by your own dialogue with these folks over the years. The result of what effectively is an information stalemate was the 'thing', a nominal unnamed device to explain the gap in performance folk could not achieve relative to CFJ. No one believes it exists as a side gadget bolted on, but they have believed, rightly or wrongly, that it's an undeclared spec difference. That's what they believe...(d).

From what you've said at the bottom of the prev page though, it really does seem that it's just on some very good, very standard components, very precisely set up, and a sweet spot has to be found, and clearly this is key with regards to the dyno. Fair enough, if that's what it is, it does move the car into a reference zone for others to use, and there's no real reason another person can't get a car to the same position, they just have to experiment with cam timing, which is the remaining unknown. Would you or Graham like to assist Club GTI folk in that respect? [%]

As I stated by me earlier in the thread, and echoing what's above, the speed of the car has never been in doubt. As said I considered purchasing it myself some time ago, not to find out the spec, just because I know it's a good car. Too many cars at the time, I was struggling for space to house it :thumbup:

8. ianb Forum Member

It may have been discussed by some back then by I am reiterating what I said then and now. The spec of the car is as is published....I am not a mechanic and it was carefully put together with the parts I had gathered from Tim Stiles. The cams I got from Bill as he recommended as he wanted to go to higher lift in his Jetta. In particular Graham at TSR devoted many hours to perfecting the Kjet set up on CFJ....nothing secret just his knowledge of getting the best from it.

I will leave it to him to expand further than I have in particular cam timing as he maybe able to elaborate further.

Ian

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I recall the cams in the Jetta now, that goes some way back!

Thanks in advance re any further guidance for CGTI folk :thumbup:

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Was it anything to do with setting the cam chain a tooth out +/or slipping the cambelt a tooth?

Can you give Graham a nudge? Thanks.

11. vwp6n Forum Member

would be good to hear from Graham as Chris said then that way it might be clear what is different from other valvers,

when is the first track day this year Ian?

12. SCOTG New Member

Don't quite know who thinks they know all about it, but cfj and my own car have had the benefit of dyno time. As Ian has said the sum total of all parts has achieved the results of good power but does that detract from torque? As every set up is different then the cam timing issue (And I don't have any tricks) is neither here nor there. Again the bottom end in my own car is straight from the breakers only having a baffled sump and windage tray.
    At the end of the day bhp is pub talk and a good 2 litre 16v golf is still one of the most competent all round cars that I have ever driven on the road or track.

13. vwp6n Forum Member

so it is down to the person setting the car and there knowledge of setting Kjet,

do you use a wideband lambda when setting up the car of the rollers Graham?

14. SCOTG New Member

No wide band used on cfj or mine. It't largely irelevant when setting up an old mehanical system. Mine has got ks3 with map sensor but I really don't think it is necessary only when there is an issue with low lead fuel. Again I only run mine on sainsbury's cheapest without any octane additive. The main point with all of k jet is blueprinting to the bosch specs, are all the flow rates right? What is the primary/control pressure when you have to bare in mind that more is not always better! in respect to k jet and the engine. Some theories of tuning are exactly that and don't actually work in practice. The 16v vw engine loves the right blend of fuel and ignition timing and power/ torque reliability suffer if any are wrong hence the reason I lost a piston 12 months ago!

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

[​IMG]

16. Steven Bloch New Member

hi does anyone know who owns the old TSR race car Mk11 GTI ex Steve Bloch ?