Little Red Ryder (hood)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by PhilRyder, Dec 7, 2020.

1. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Oh my God! !!!, they are in the wrong way round!!!! :o:thumbd::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

2. PhilRyder

New ones ordered :cry::cry::cry::cry:

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Blinking heck, that's not a great end to the day.
    Home made press reminds me of pulling torsion beam apart on my clio van and stripping threads as it was m10 skinny stuff.

PhilRyder likes this.
  4. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Posted this up elsewhere a while ago and kept the link just incase, apologies if you've already seen it - Personally I couldn't justify buying one at the time for a single job, but if you're doing it on more than one car / regularly might pay for itself.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175113446657?ViewItem=&item=175113446657

Cut'n'paste from Google Translate -

"Hello, you are bidding on a special tool for pressing in the rear axle bushing on the VW Golf 2 (8/83-12/92), Jetta 2 (2/84-7/92), Corrado (10/88-7/95), please check the socket diameter! 2 variants have been installed, Seat Toledo1 (1/91-3/88 except 2L 16V) and possibly other models from the VW group. It is to be used for bushings (new) with a diameter of approx. 45.0 mm. The scope of delivery includes the 7 parts as shown in the picture below: socket for the bush, centering sleeve, spindle, 2 nuts with washer and axial roller bearing. The axial roller bearing makes work much easier and minimizes wear on the spindle. In the picture above, the tool with the rear axle bush is shown as it is when pressed in. The bonded rubber bush and the 2nd tool are not part of the auction and are only used for better illustration. Since this is a wear item, especially the spindle, I only accept returns in the delivery condition. An important note on the spindle, which is made of hardened material and is not a hardware store item and therefore has a high tensile strength. Please also check my other auctions, I also offer tools for Golf 3, Golf 3 Variant / Passat (35i) Variant, Golf 4 / Audi A3, Mercedes-Benz and tuning cones for older VAG turbodiesels."

bush thingy.JPG

5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I actually have one of those, and typical, haven't had a need to use it since I got it!

6. PhilRyder

Bushes came out quite easily last night, correct size socket and a BFH :lol: One is probably re-usable but I don’t think we’ll bother. New ones incoming.

dodgy likes this.
  7. PhilRyder

New ones arrived today (I can’t recommend Murray’s Direct on eBay highly enough for speed of despatch) so I couldn’t resist fitting them.
    Well, I don’t know if the hole is tapered but it was significantly easier this time round :thumbup:
    I had to fashion a new brace piece and use different sockets to clear the bracket but I could then swap back to the bigger brace when there was a little more space.
    4049DFBF-5CB5-423F-B648-764AEA4A4BCF.jpeg
    8CF5CFB1-937E-407E-AF40-5E289D86A9D5.jpeg
    I made sure everything was well greased including the nuts and washers and it all went swimmingly. I didn’t even need the new 3ft breaker bar I bought specially today :(
    As an aside does anyone know why they are such a stupid shape? I note the polyurethane alternatives such as @caddyboet has used are just round.

dodgy and costel1969 like this.
  8. Tristan

They are designed to deform in a particular fashion, to create a small amount of rear steering, when you load the suspension in a turn.

PhilRyder likes this.
  9. PhilRyder

Well, who knew, thanks.

Tristan likes this.
  10. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Check out the big brain on Tristan today...

Tristan likes this.
  11. caddyboet

caddyboet Paid Member Paid Member

As @Tristan said, OE ones are designed to flex inside that steel sleeve and allow the rear beam to rotate ever so slightly under cornering load. The polybush ones apparently do the same thing as despite being slightly stiffer rubber they lack the steel sleeve so can flex a similar amount. Just a different way of doing the same thing I guess.

Are you running new brake lines as well? Or reusing your old ones? I was hoping to reuse mine but ended up having to cut them all to get the rear beam off.

12. PhilRyder

Reusing the ones in the pics above and hope to repurpose the longer ones that are on the car currently. Need to have a look and see how they run.

13. Tristan

Phil, GTI/rear disc lines are different to 1.3 ones iirc. They have a very defined "S" bend of sorts on them just after the floor pan. I don't think 1.3 ones are long enough to replicate this.
    I have a pair removed from a car, I can send you a pic if you want.

14. PhilRyder

Yes, please do :thumbup:

15. Tristan

Here you go

Attached Files:

16. Tristan

Yes, the picture is upside down, but that's deliberate, as the pipes are stored the wrong way up!

PhilRyder likes this.
  17. PhilRyder

We started to put the rear beam together today to see what we were missing and how the brake lines should run. We found that I had ordered the wrong bolts for the stub axle to the beam [:v:] so located a couple of suitable bolts to be going on with.

Put the brakes together and found that the calliper carriers were rubbing on the discs so they had to be ground back.

Then found that the spacers don’t fit the discs. The centres are too deep for the hubcentric spacers so they will have to go back.

Finally, what the hell are the brake pipes made of? When I cut them to meet the caliper hoses I could not make the flare with the flaring tool I have, they are much too hard. This poses a bit of a problem in as much as when I come to flare the ends of the existing pipes under the car where they join the proportioning valve I don’t think it will be possible. I seem to have two options, buy a better flaring tool or replace the pipes front to back with copper.

18. caddyboet

@Tristan Do you know why they have to have the aggressive S bend in them? Seems unnecessary given the line is essentially “static” up to the bias compensator.

Tristan likes this.
  19. caddyboet

I was doing the same jobs today and used my flaring tool for the first time. I’m not sure which one you have but I bought this one on EBay and it worked brilliantly.

A9C76DD6-ADD9-49EA-A1E5-1883D082BB98.jpeg

With regards to spacers I was aware of the issue you have so am going to use stub axle spacers instead. I prefer them as they fit between the beam and the stub axle so you wheels sit fully on the hubs and you don’t need longer wheel bolts either. I bought them off of Stayner Works on Facebook and they come with new stub axle bolts as well.

35CE7F13-7DB5-4969-9D0E-D339DBE9ECF5.jpeg

20. PhilRyder

@caddyboet yes I think I need to buy that tool. It worked on the existing pipes well?
    I was going to go for the spacers you have but I think I still need spacers on the face as the calipers protrude past the face and there is not much dish on the wheels we have. I need to fit and see for sure though.