Long Distance Relationships??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by damogti, Jan 30, 2005.

1. damogti Forum Junkie

Oh believe me i know what i have and im grateful for it......

last year i was very dispondant with a lot of stuff for a while, some of which a lot of you probably remember me talking about.... well i have changed a bit sinse then and have a new outlook on things which i havent had for a long time..... new house going through..... sorted with money a bit better and great social life.

Now there are only two things i need to sort which i feel are stil big downers in my life...

1. My crap Job
    2. My lovelife

well.....

1. Im working on changing it and i think ive got it sussed, just gonna take a bit of time to get where i want to get.

2. Why do you think ive started this thread? most of you know why i did....... I know what i want but it aint looking too good for me getting it tbh.... [:^(] [:^(]

Edited by: damogti

2. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Damo, Sarah, listen up...

(Professor Dex lecture time)

1, GVK + Golfgirl met through VWs (GVK gallantly noticed her flaps needed attending to one day...) They share common interests and passions and to see them together is to see two very happy people. (although i think all those miles in the bucket seat has compressed his spine - he's definitely shrinking - needs a bigger box to get to the washing machine...)

Things i have learnt about distance relationships....

Charly and i were together for about a year, she was at uni in leicester, i was first living in norwich, then in wolverhampton with work - at the time i made sure to get to see her at least every other weekend if i was in the country - but mostly every weekend. Wasn't enough for us, and i considered binning my career to get a lower paid job so i could be with her. Turned out charly was cheating on me with half the country.

I vowed never to let a girl get in the way of my career.

So Kat and i got together, i was selected for aircrew training and started the hardest (and most rewarding) year of my life. The work was very intense for me in lincoln, meanwhile Kat started uni in Oxford. I used to drive down pretty much every weekend, one in three or so she would come up to me. By the time i arrived on a friday i was knackered, while she was dying to enjoy going out and having fun. I wanted to be able to go out and spend the time with her, but normally by about half nine i'd need to go to bed as i was shattered.

At the time i owned my mk1 (TLC) which i had spent a small fortune on and loved. TLC wasn't too reliable, and since i could only work on the car at weekends i would get left with the choice of a weekend with Kat or a weekend with the car. So i sold the car. I honestly nearly cried after i dropped off the car with it's new owner, but i knew i was making the right choice.
    I was still finding it hard to spend enough time with kat - the weekends didn't seem long enough and i would need to spend quite a bit of time sleeping off the work in the week (full working week with several hours study each night)

eventually i had to make a choice, and started to spend more weekends in lincoln doing work for the Aircrew training and less time with Kat. Eventually we realised things weren't right and split, easter 2003.
    By june 2003 i got binned off the aircrew course (long story) and got a choice of posting - i chose to come to Brize Norton so that i could be near Kat and hope we could spend more time together. She was seeing a guy at the time but pretty much dumped him straight away when we first met up again - i was in heaven. The summer holiday came and Kat went off to do her charity work (volunteer helper for people with learning difficulties/handicaps) as well as travelling. We had a couple of weeks together in the summer and had a fantastic time. The i found out i was off to Iraq in October '03.

As we hadn't properly got back together as a couple. but were exclusive, i thought it was unfair to tell her quite how much i loved her just as i was off to spend four months in iraq doing bomb disposal....
    So i didn't. and i went off to Iraq, keeping in touch by e-mail, phone and letter as and when i could. I don't think an hour went past while i was in Iraq that i didn't think of her, and wish i was back in the UK with her - i loved the work out in Iraq, but i *knew* i had found the person i wanted to spend the rest of my life with.

I was terrified that confessing the depth of my feeling would be the *kiss of death* (quite literally) as i had to concentrate on my job while i was there and try not to think of her.

When i got back in Jan '04 Kat had met Adam. Kat and adam are still together. I have been single since.

If you've read this far you are probably hearing the simon bates "our tune" music playing in your head, and wondering why i am telling you this morbid dirge...

(think i'm feeling a bit melancholy - very close friend lost a mate on the herc in Iraq yesterday)

Here's the lesson - Carpe Diem - Seize the day.

Life IS too short, (but it's the longest thing you'll ever do) - so don't waste it - if you love someone tell them, let them know absolutely unconditionally how you feel, give them every reason to trust you, to risk getting hurt for you and to know they won't get hurt.

Don't let your job, your family, your friends or even your car get in the way - if you have to sell the car, move away from the family and friends then do it - if you can't be with someone you care about then what use is the cushy job and nice car? Hollow replacements for being loved.

(oh, and don't sell a mk1 after you've just replaced "everything" so it is really reliable for the next owner....)

3. damogti Forum Junkie

Yeah mate, looking forward to it, esp if this week goes completely pear shaped [:^(]

4. damogti Forum Junkie

:clap: Dex :clap:

Thanks for that mate...... that is everything in a nutshell for me......

I just hope she reads in and takes it all on board [:s]

5. mark25 Forum Junkie

They're not problems, just things YOU need to make desicions about. You would not believe what i've given up to be where i am, fantastic job with blue chip co, nice house with garage and drive for 6 cars, etc, etc.

I now have, no house, no car, no money, no job, no etc, etc. But would i change things.....NO, would i have my old life back and always be wondering what 'could of been'? never!

It's life m8, the things you put the most effort into are the most rewarding in the long term - compare having a smoke to working on your Dub and i think you'll get the picture.............

6. damogti Forum Junkie

Yeah i get it mate, and i totally agree and feel the same tbh...... yeah im happy with parts of my life at the moment but that doesnt mean to say that i wouldnt change things now if it meant that i would be happier in the long run.

At the start of the new year i vowed to be happy. That is my mission for 2005 if you like...... to find happyness.... which is something i havent had for a long long time for various reasons....... Ok so i didnt imagine that i would feel that ive found it so soon but at end of day you never know whats round the corner so when it comes you got to be prepared to make sure you dont let it slip through your fingers.

I'm trying not to lose it and ive done all i can to make sure i dont lose it but its out of my hands now...... i just hope sarah realises how prepared i am to give this a go......

7. mark25 Forum Junkie

Good luck whatever happens.

8. damogti Forum Junkie

Thanks Mark, i appeciate it :)

9. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

Go with the flow m8, if it goes arse up, at least ya tried!

10. pictonroad Forum Member

Dex, you've just scared the hell out of me but in truth it's nothing I don't know already, we hide these things from ourselves [:^(]

I love this girl
    [​IMG]

so much it keeps me awake at night and before I hurt her she felt the same about me. Everyday I tell myself I will tell her what she means to me and everyday I wimp out.

Perhaps I'll do it today [:^(] [:^(]

11. b'locks Forum Addict

I think i'm going to be violently sick. [:s]

12. pictonroad Forum Member

make sure little Timmy is well out of the way, you don't want to be washing his clothes AGAIN....

13. Matt-pd130 New Member

was with my gf for 18months, im in kent shes in glasgow, scotland use the plane as its a 10hr drive. I still love her, as she does me we split a couple of weeks ago yes it hurts but i know either summut al happen and we'll end up together closer or we'll move on and find someone more suited.

Life is a game of risks if you fall, pick your self up and get on it obv wasnt right for you right at that moment. Life is a learning curb always learning.

Did find i loved my time to myself tho, and yea we used to have great times when together but around work, uni and money it worked, just we are both highley physical people who need each other way more than we can. I go in for the long-term and we found we simply couldnt grow shame she is sooo my perfect partner what a bummer.

somethings work some dont i guess.....

How did some of you couples on here meet....curious.

Matt

14. damogti Forum Junkie

[%(] [%(][%(][%(][%(][%(][%(][%(][%(][%(][%(]

[:^(] [:^(] [:^(] [:^(] [:^(] [:^(] [:^(] [:^(] [:^(] [:^(]

Well thats that then [8(]

15. b'locks Forum Addict

It was love at first type... [:$]

16. b'locks Forum Addict

?????? [8(]

17. damogti Forum Junkie

She dont wanna know mate......[%(] [:^(] [:^(] [:^(] [:^(] [:^(]

18. pictonroad Forum Member

[8(]

sorry mate.

19. b'locks Forum Addict

Chin up mate, plenty more fish. [:^:]

20. Miss Psyclodia

Miss Psyclodia Forum Junkie

if it;s ment to be it will happen if it's not only time will heal and you will find someone who you will be equal too
    *swtich nice mode off*

DIIIIIIIIE.