Megasquirt Newbie Questions - All the really dumb ones you were afraid to ask!

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Mike_H, Apr 27, 2010.

1. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

great stuff Mike, will have to come round and check out your handy work. This MS stuff is still way over my head but seems the way to go to get the best out of the hardware.

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'll be on the case this weekend, if you want to come for a look, fella. It was your old dizzy that turned out to be dead, but you did give it to me for nothing, so I'm not complaining!

Still need an extra pair of hands for the vinyl roof!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  3. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

interesting :lol: that wouldnt have helped cause the head gasket damage in my original engine or is it totally unrelated. Im quite fired up about this MS stuff only just discovered Eddie's 3 year old thread on his 8v MS conversion which seems a lot simpler than your CE1 stuff. I will try and pop round to see you.

4. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

where do you get Megatune and Tunerstudio?

I have a car coming in in a weeks time with megasquirt ecu (5ltr v8 drag car thing), which needs some fuel adding after its had a larger throttle body on it. customer bringing his disks and info for me to use..
    Not used megasquirt before, so hoping my usb-serial converter I use on dta's will work with whatever he brings with him.

any links, suggestions, or software would he helpfull
    thanks

5. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

I guess it's theoretically possible, if the dizzy was firing at the wrong time, and causing detonation, but it's not something I've heard of before on a golf.

Sure.. call first though. I have some errands to run, and multiple car projects in various counties ;)

7. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Andy Nic had the USB - Serial adpator that he uses for his DTA and that work fine with the Tunerstudio.

Comms port 3, good thing about the Tunerstudio it will search for your ECU.

Download here too -

http://www.tunerstudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=13

8. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

thanks, I'll download these later :thumbup:

fans not working right sadly..
    got it to high speed, but it started smoking.. so is with anstee-ware now for diagnosis

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Hey - I just replied to your thread on MSEFI telling you to look over here (assuming you have the same user name)

If you really want to build your own ECU you can, or there are wise people on here and elsewhere, who could do it for you.

I guess the price is the price, and with the exchange rate moves in the last year, it's got more expensive over here. Glen's garage are the place to buy, really, but you could compare them with UK suppliers. I guess duty is going to be about 30% overall

10. alexisblades99 Forum Member

A quick question about megatune - With the ecu connected to the laptop, the MAP, TPS, CLT and IAT readings are moving around, despite not being connected to anything at all, with the ends of the wires taped shut.

Is this normal, ie are they just floating around because they're not connected to anything, or could I have ground issues?

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'd have thought they should be stable - they are on mine. Where are you earthed to?

12. alexisblades99 Forum Member

ECUs three ground wires connected straight to the battery -ive, all sensor wires are isolated. Strange.

13. bens_cab Forum Junkie

are the wires not connected to the sensors? if not connect them up and try again it could be that the ecu is seeing them as a short or something

14. alexisblades99 Forum Member

I think you're right Ben, they must just be floating around because they're not tied to a particular voltage. Will try connecting them all up.

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

Are you using a standard loom, or did you make your own? Mine's an RS Autosport loom, and the sensors are earthed directly back to the ECU, not via the body. There are a good ten or twelve earth wires in all.

16. alexisblades99 Forum Member

It's the loom that came with it (microsquirt from triggerwheels.com), all I've done is extend it a bit. Sensor ground runs back to the ecu, then three ground wires run from the ecu to the battery.

17. Mike_H Forum Addict

I guess the MicroSquirt loom is a bit different then.

18. alexisblades99 Forum Member

It's basically the same as a megasquirt 2 internally, but with a few bits missing (map sensor, serial port etc) to make it physically smaller. Slightly different loom, but runs same code as megasquirt.

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

So you have to run an external MAP sensor? What sort of connection does it have for the laptop, if there's no serial port?

Given you're already grounding the ECU to the battery, I can only suggest you check the quality of the connections, and maybe clean up the battery terminals?

Is the fluctuation worse with the engine running?

20. alexisblades99 Forum Member

3.5mm headphone jack to 9 pin serial port, and external map sensor. Engine isn't running with this system yet, I'm outside at the mo connecting up the sensors to the loom.