Megasquirt Newbie Questions - All the really dumb ones you were afraid to ask!

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Mike_H, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Thomas New Member

Thanks for the help, sorry to be a bother

2. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Update.Trigger datalog shows nothing.I connected the jimstim and tried for rpm signal and works so i don't know what to do next.Any thoughts?

Cheers

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Update:

I've been trying to start mine for a couple of days - going through and testing bits of the system to see why it won't run.

I haven't got a spark at the minute. I've static tested the hall sender with a multi meter (when I turn the dizzy gear by hand, I get a voltage every 90degrees (about 4v, compared to the 5v input to the hall sender).

From testing with a known working timing light, when I first switch the ignition on, I get a single spark (which created an interesting backfire tonight, with the exhaust being full of fuel vapour), but there's no spark on cranking the engine over. Any idea what would cause that?

The coil and TCI unit were working before with Kjet, but they're next on my list to check.

The car had a new VAG ignition switch 18 months ago.
    The light on the ECU stays lit throughout.
    The Fuel pump primes for a few seconds with the ignition.

4. bens_cab Forum Junkie

is the ignition feed going live dueing cranking? sometimes theres a few 12v switched wires that donr go live just to fool you lol

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

They're certainly all live with the ignition on, but I haven't been able to test them during cranking.

I'll get someone to help me diagnose that when I've got a charged battery again. Thanks!

6. bens_cab Forum Junkie

i did this recently when fitting a new loom for someone everything worked with ignition on but as sson as i cranked it we losy power so tested the power output amd under cranking it was dead so i got fooled by it lol

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

It's an RS Autosport loom, so more likely that I've wired it in wrongly, than a problem with the loom itself. I'll keep my eyes and mind open though.

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Right, when I switch the ignition on, AND when cranking,

- at the feed to the 7 pin TCI unit plug, I've got 5v
    - at the input and output at the hall sender, I've got 5v
    - at the hall output from the dizzy (grn/wht) back into the ECU Pin 24, I've got 5v. I think the meter isn't quick enough to pick up the fluctuations at cranking speed (it was ok when I turned the dizzy by hand)

BUT

at the feed from the the ECU Pin 36 (blue wire labelled S5) to Pin6 on the TCI Plug, I've got 5v when I switch the ignition on, but it drops to zero within a couple of seconds, so there's nothing there before it starts cranking.

So either the 7 pin plug is wired wrong, or there's a problem at the ECU end?

7 Pin plug is wired as follows:

EDIT: Just going out to double check that.
    EDIT 2: Double checked correctly.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  9. emery1990 Forum Member

I need a iat sensor and a coolant sensor, whats a good place to get sensors as i presume all our the same, what ever car ? just better quality etc. also where do i plumb them in. is it just anywhere on the intake side and the flow on the coolant side? i think i might putting a cone filter on my car as it saves me searching for seat ibiza? airbox. is the map sensor on the circuit board? Or does that need to be plumbed into the manifold, read that its on the actual board?

My cars a mk2 golf gti 9a kjet atm.

10. bigbeat

bigbeat Forum Member

I'm going to be using an abf multi plug on my ms with the internal crank. Am I right in saying that I don't need the knock sensors? AS they relay back to the digifant ecu?

11. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

12. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

No you do not.

13. emery1990 Forum Member

http://www.glensgarage.com/catalog/shopping_cart.php

Atm these products are in my basket ready to buy, (from what toyotech said to order in his abf megasquirt thread) Im running a 9a though, will i be reusing my iscv? ( searched megamanaul and google but cant find it unabbreviated!) if so i wont buy that kit, how much plus postage and tax does it all end up coming too?? atm its around 200? so should I be expecting around 300

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

It runs! Starts first turn of the key now!

Thanks to Toyotec for the hours he spent in the baking heat on Sunday - helping me diagnose it. Turns out the dizzy was dying - I'd previously tested it and thought it was ok, but when we retested it, it was constant 5v.

I bought a recon bosch dizzy on Monday, set it up roughly at TDC, and it starts really well now. Idle isn't great, but I can sort that out now!

Now the hard work starts of mapping the thing... to be continued on the build thread for the track car.

15. Brookster

Well done Mike good work :thumbup:

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

It's about time - it's nearly the ECU's 2nd birthday :lol:

17. Brookster

Snap :lol:

Are you using Megatune or Tunerstudio MS ?

18. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Rich,
    Does not matter which user interface you use to tune the ECU/engine. I have the registered Pro version of Tunerstudio, but I am just more aquainted with MT. Tunerstudio expands and displays the funtions of MS i.e like diagnostics in a way that MT cannot and is a better package. You still need to know your way around the engine if something is untoward. Even so the calibration will be delivered with the same feel, maybe a bit quicker if there is extensive control troubleshooting with TS.

19. Brookster

Yes Andy who tweaked the MAP just felt the Tunerstudio was easier to use. :thumbup:

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

Megatune is installed on the laptop, so that's the way I'll be going for now.