Merry f*cking Xmas....just been laid off / Just been bagged (again...)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PhatVR6, Dec 22, 2008.

1. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Thats a good attitude for once for someone in this situation.
    I always get the "**** em, Im not going in if they are sacking me" speach:thumbup:

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

But Paul is not an employee of the company and he is not being made redundant from anywhere. Paul is a contractor (just like myself) and they are his client. As a contractor, you're paid only for the hours that you're present; naturally you're going to pack in as many hours as you can until the end.

3. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

indeed, and seeing as i don't get a penny in redundancy, every second counts.

4. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Give it the “I’m sorry to be leaving as it’s such a nice place to work” speech, you may be the first one they ask back

5. Nordoff Forum Junkie

We get told how many are getting laid offagain monday or tuesday.
    Got an interview for a job I want next friday.
    Means job security till november.
    If I get it I'm taking voluntary redundancy.
    PS.
    Matt, can you deal with static guard work?
    Pay aint much but my 2nd boss is offering 40 hour weeks in cheshire right now.

6. mark25 Forum Junkie

No need to feel lonley, 2.6 Million got the boot in the USA in 2008. That's about 0.9% of the population:o

Good luck for all those looking.

7. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

This isn't meant to come across as a personal attack....

Simple choice- dole or job that you might consider "beneath you"

Most people have done **** jobs at some point in their life, lots of people get experience, education, training and move onwards and upwards. You tend not to get a say in being made redundant - but would you rather go back to a **** job, or sit on the dole and hope something comes along?

Personally I'd always rather take the rubbish job - at least then when you apply for other work you can show you're committed to working...

8. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Just been told a third of the lads from our factory are going.
    We'll know who a month today.

9. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Think i might re-train and become a Teacher if anything happens.

Lots of Holidays and more secure than Construction.

10. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Well, slight update.

Last week the company announced possible redundancies. Then I got another week extension.

I should have been leaving this Friday, yet today, more developments. "unofficially" I've been told "carry on as normal, you're not going this firday, or next frday for that matter"

officially i've been told "we don't want to lose you, but we can't justify contractors staying whilst we're cutting down on staff".

so for the next few weeks at least I'm safe.

meanwhile the staffies have to choose comittee members and go through all the rigmarole of interviewing affected people and all that legal balls. it's a waste of time, i reckon the board have already picked out who they want rid of, they are just going through the motions and doing it all by the book.....

I still think i'll have to go before they get rid of any staff, but there is a chance i'll be asked back after that's been dealt with.

11. prof Forum Addict

is there any chance of going on the books instead of being a subbie?

12. Nordoff Forum Junkie

We find out which ones are going sometime in the next 2 weeks.
    Our shop will lose about 9 out of 27.
    and after mid feb there isn't a single order so looks like the whole factory is getting shut down.

13. suze New Member

I got 6 weeks notice on monday.... So i'll be heading back to Ireland probably!

14. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

My old man has managed to find some work, for a few months at least anyway. He's having to travel to Plymouth though, 140 mile round trip, but it's better than nothing.

15. Admin Guest

We are having some suprise meeting this coming monday, the whole of the North sea lot.

Looks like there is going to be layoffs, or at minimum no bonus (could affect wages by up to 20K for some).

16. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

for half the wages? I'd rather be at home!

17. PeeJay Forum Junkie

It's getting a bit real here now. Rumors are flying about a few nameless people in the office getting the bullet today, but I think they're just that rumors.

The other big worry is the redunancy package, it's quite generous as it stands and would mean I'd get a couple of months leeway which makes all the difference at the moment, but it has the onimous words "we reserve the right to change term at any time" The legal minium of a weeks wages per full years worked would mean I'd need a job pretty much imeadiatley, and stacking shelves just wouldn't cut it.

18. G-Man Forum Junkie

My exam results later tonight dictate if the firm will keep me on or not, as if I fail they're got the result they want of releasing me without paying redundency :( due to the nature of my contract.

Not looking forward to joining the job market as the industry I work in and need to be in to complete my full qualification are cutting down staff and even running of a 4 day week for the entire firm.

19. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Is it really that bad up country Marc?

Our line of business is still going well at the moment, it's horrible to say but companies are making redundancies but still need to keep us on.

20. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I'm just waiting for them to give me my notice again on Monday, then change their mind on Wednesday...it's almost become routine now. I can't wait to get a job offer elsewhere and see how they react when I tell them.