mk1 gear linkage parts/prob.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Riley, Apr 7, 2004.

1. murdocr New Member

Can you let us know the results?

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

:thumbup: sure will,parts on order.

3. AL*Mk1 Forum Member

Hey up guys...

Riley, I know this part as the "Onion" - thats what my personal mechanic calls it anyway!!!
    It should sort your problem out.

I find that the short shift kits put so much stress on other parts of the selector mechanism that it ends up chewing joints quite quickly.
    On my mates Mk1, the bracket on the rack has actually snapped. he currently has an exhaust clamp holding it all together as it kept breaking welds when we rpaired it!!!

4. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

:o snapped! and onion :lol: i see why al!!

had a quick look tonight and with sum 1 moving gearstick forward and back,the shaft dosnt move as much as the onion :lol:
    i reckon the 13mm? nut on the bottoms come loose and sort of rounded off the flats of where the lever bolts up.if ya know what i mean [:s] mmmmmm,or could it of rounded the shaft?
    the short shift dont half make em notchy too,needs weighted shift i suppose.
    Edited by: riley

5. AL*Mk1 Forum Member

It could have rounded the flats off if it has been loose for a while. See if you can get some thread lock or something. That 13mm nut is a bugger for working loose.

6. ariser Forum Member

You talking bout where the gear rod goes into the clamp that bolts it to the rest of the mechinism?

Number 42 in pic?

7. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

n0. 14,the relay shaft which n0.11 bolts too,also seen n0.3(bearing bush) and i dont know if mine has this or not? it dosnt ring a bell. [:s]

8. ariser Forum Member

I to remember replacing a few bushes around that area but cant remember that particular bracket.

Is the thingy that controlls the side to side movement aint it? It mentions power steering on the web etka but aint got my normal etka here as its at work and cant check .

I know one thang after i fitted the gsf kit combined with the onion thingy off vw the gears were a hell of a lot smoother.

Do you have a short shift kit fitted? What do they do?.

C :p

9. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

yep ive got a short shift and today ive found out how close it makes the gearchange again :p
    tightened the 13mm nut on bottom of relay shaft and ive got my gear lever back :lol: feels a bit iffy though so still gonna replace the relay lever.

best off using a weighted shift rod as well as the short shift to keep it smooth,i need one.

10. ariser Forum Member

Well hope it all goes well when ya change all the parts.

Nothing better than to spend all your hard earned cash on your golf. I know I do hehe.

:)

11. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Just thought I'd add my 2p.

I bought a Missinglinkz kit from the states which includes replacement metal rods with metal end caps instead of plastic ones.It also includes a quickshift, weighted shift rod and ultra tough poly bushes for the relay shaft.

Anyway, it didn't actualy make that much difference and after a few days I'm sure it had actually got worse.

So...I spent 80 odd to buy the Neuspeed Shift Repair Kit from Awesome. This includes the plastic capped rods, replacment bushes (much better quality than GSF ones), new shift finger (the rubber ball thingy), new white ball thingy that the gearstick moves in, and a new bracket that the long rod (with splined end) goes through.

It took me a few hours to fit it all in yesterday but the result is truly amazing. The gearchange feels as tight as a virgin now!

MIssinglinkz kit anyone?

Forgot to mention that www.badhabitrabbit.com has a good how-to on adjusting the main splined rod.

Edited by: mr.brown

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

Hmmm my large white ball (can i say that [:$] ) thats attached to the gearstick makes a really creaky squeeky noise when im changing gear? apart from that alls fine.

Will WD40 sort this out?

13. mr.brown

You need some proper grease in there. Halfords do a "multipurpose" grease that will do the trick.

14. fthaimike Forum Addict

Do you have to take anything apart because if i touch it it will never be the same [:$] :lol:

15. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

good info mr brown... :thumbup:

mike id stick it in reverse,first etc and cover it each time,should coat it enough to sort it id imagine.
    if not then itll never be the same :lol:

16. fthaimike Forum Addict

17. mr.brown

Don't forget to shove some grease up from underneath. If you jack the car up/ put in on ramps you'll see the gearshift boot underneath. Remove the end cap (it'll come off by hand) and shove loads of grease in there. Good idea to clean the old crap out first - mine had crystallised into a gritty substance - yuk!

18. GTI

GTI Forum Member

well, i finally got round to it and fitted a new rubber ball thingy this morning.

i'd like to vouch for this as being THE SOLUTION to forward-backward play in the mk1 linkage.

funnily enough, it wasn't so much the rubber bit that was at fault, but the rectangulat slot in the metal being slightly oval and thus not gripping the vertical shaft properly.

my linkage is now sorted [:D].

top thread guys!!

19. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

:thumbup: good!
    its the bottom nut working loose that causes the slot to wear.
    mines just nipped up with a bit of thread lock for now until i rebuild the car.
    just shows a mk1 gear change can be good :clap:

20. Golf lad New Member

I have the same problem on my mk1 but i can't get to the rubber ball (relay shaft)or tighten the nut that keeps on coming undone because i have a shield in the way. Does this simply unbolt? Also, how hard is it to replaced the bushes on the vertical shaft?
    Cheers
    Tom