MK2 Alloy wheels?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by 8vGtiMk2, Mar 19, 2008.

1. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

Hi everyone,

I need a little help and advice in choosing the right alloys. I need to get these alloys by the end of the month or ive had it. I can only afford around 400 and thats pushing it. I do like my BBS & old skool TSW wheels. I have always stuck to 6.5J 15inches but I have seen these on the bay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-17-Wolfrace-Katana-2-wheels-and-205-40x17-tyres_W0QQitemZ360019149121QQihZ023QQcategoryZ9888QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Or i could stick with these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-15-Wolfrace-Katana-wheels-and-195-50x15-tyres_W0QQitemZ320183554607QQihZ011QQcategoryZ9888QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

If using biger wheels what difference will this make to the ride?

Is there a right tyre size to use with each wheel? ie 195/50X15 or 195/45X15...or 205/40X17 or 215/40X17...how do you know if you need an upstep?

Any advice to steer me in the right direction is much appreciated...even if you think I am making the wrong choice in opting for these 2 wheels mentioned above...BRING ON THE C O N S T R U C T I V E C R I T I C I S M PLEASE

My car is a Tornado Red 3 Door MK2 Golf GTI 8V

2. James_mk2 Forum Member

ride quality will suffer a LOT on the 17's, and if the car is lowered they may not fit at all, its also a lot more weight to lug around.

as for the style i'm not a fan but its your car not mine :-)

3. the idiot abroad Forum Member

If your cars a daily drive stick with 15's and i don't really like the wolfrace wheels but thats just me.You say you like bbs wheels why not stick with them, a good set still looks great.

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I considered those wheels when they first came out. They look OK off the car/in pictures, but when I saw them on another Mk2 they just looked odd. 15s are you`re best option anyway. Particularly 8" wide ones! [8D]

A few other options:

Scmidt Moderns (what I`ve got):

[​IMG]

Brock B2s:

[​IMG]

Borbet E:

[​IMG]

Ronal LS:

[​IMG]

Keskin Futuras:

[​IMG]

Check out places like Dubmeister (http://dubmeister.co.uk/) for hundreds of other choices/prices. :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  5. BBSparky New Member

if you fancy a set of B2's then i have some for sale ;)

6. miggs2002 Forum Member

7. StuMc

Nice! Just the wrong size, that`s all...

8. miggs2002 Forum Member

was just an example, and honda's are the same pcd as vw's just a different offset!

9. StuMc

Thought you might fall for that! :p I meant the fact they are 17"...;) :lol:

10. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

I think I will stick with 15's, I have allways wanted 8" wide ones but need to know if it will affect the car in any way with the offset....

What's the deal with the offset? Do you need spacers to get it right if offset it higher or lower? ie an offset of 13 requires spacers and an offset of 40 does not?

StuMc...I do like the look of all the alloys you have posted up but don't think I will get a set for my budget to be honest. Yes you are right they do look good off the car and I have been trying HARD to imagine what the would look like on a MK2, so thanks!

11. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

I have checked on dubmeister for Keskin Futuras but can't find them. I think they have to be the wheels for me.

12. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

Did find them but they come in 17's...bummer!

Kerscher Futura

13. StuMc

Yeah sorry Kerscher! I thought they came in 15" too, but apperently not...

14. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

I have been looking around but if I do want wide deep dish alloys (which I do) then I will have to go for 16's...will this be a problem like the 17's?

Also the et's on the 9" wide alloys are et15...will this be a problem (for the back)?
    I would go for 7.5" wide with an et35 for the front.

My first Golf GTi 8V had TSW Hockenheims 15's running P6000, now they were the nuts.

15. StuMc

You won`t necessarily have to go for 16s to get a deep dish, though if you do then they will still fit with no problems (dependant on offset, and suspension drop of course).

Off-set is always one of those confusing subjects, but to give you an idea, if you look at my Mk2 in my sig; I`m running 8x15" Schmidt Moderns with an on offset of ET20. They sit right in line with the edges of the arches, which is as far as you can go legally. As you can see thay have a decent dish (about 35-40mm).

If you decide you will need spacers for whatever wheel you go for, I`d recommend no bigger than 10mm either side, because you can put stress on the wheel bearings. Also remember you would need longer bolts to compensate too.

16. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

why not do something different and fit original alloys?

17. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

I have allways had original alloys on all of my MK2's and like the look of deep dish alloys..and I know I can't see them while its rolling but it does look good when it is!

18. Matt G Forum Member

what about ats cups?

i would go find yourself a set of ronal ls's - ive seen them on the bay for less than 400.

that or stick with the original's and find yourself something unusual.

19. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

Is that 8X15 with offset of ET20 all round?

20. Aphex Forum Junkie

Definately the schmidts like stu's. Beautiful wheels.

Or (if you can find them) revolutions rfx's came in8x15, even some minilites do as well I believe