MK2 Alloy wheels?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by 8vGtiMk2, Mar 19, 2008.

1. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Those particular ones wouldn`t fit a Mk2, but if you can get your hands on four 4x100 spacesavers (about 35 + VAT each from VW) then these guys could widen them for you.

http://www.wide-wheels.co.uk/ :thumbup:

(They`re the ones who made the ones in your pics)

2. OldDirty Forum Member

thanking you ;D

3. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

StuMc...what tyre pressure are you running at the moment?

Checked mine today and they were 2.0bar all round...I left the rears that way and changed the fronts to 1.8bar as the car was too noisy, might even change the back to 1.8bar as well.

Another thing I have found, is that I can't corner like I used to with these wheels...does anyone do a quick-power-steering-rack for the MK2 golf?

4. DazzerVR6 New Member

[​IMG]

Out of interest, does anyone know what sort of alloy this is? Was it a standard Mk2 16v wheel?

5. StuMc

2.0 bar?...Let me just work that out...I`m old school, so I`d call that about 28.5psi on the rears and 25.5psi on the fronts. :lol:

Personally, I think that`s a bit low, especially on the fronts. I generally run between 32 and 34psi all round (about 2.25 - 2.4bar).

The cornering issue you have will most probably be down to the fact the pressure is a bit on the low side, but wider wheels will make the steering feel heavier, but not so much as to make much of a difference I`d have thought. Try inflating them to 32psi and see how you get on. :thumbup:

6. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

Yeah not far off 26psi up front & 29psi at the rear is what it is now but was 30psi all round and made a lot of noise when going over small pot holes and general crap on the road. I know this is to be expected when putting a lot of pressure in your tyres that why I only pump them up to 30psi up front & 32psi at the rear when I know I will be on motorway. This is my daily hack so will have to lower the pressure to 26psi all round i think.

My power steering was a little on the heavy side before I put on the new wheels then the pump died when I went to fit the exhaust. Found out that the owner before me put normal engine oil in the tank. I drained as much oil as I could but know you can't get all the old crap out. Changed the pump and put the red oil in. Can't tell if its still on the heavy side without putting some normal wheels on but think I will have to flush the system again and hope it all comes out this time.

7. Admin Guest

sebrings and came on the Rallyes as std, as for the rest of the mk2s i don't know.

8. BG16v Paid Member Paid Member

i really like those wheels...

but the borbet's are v nice too..good choice.

9. ev nutter Forum Member

isnt it a sebring?

10. StuMc

Read, man! Read! [><]

He`s quoting post no. 33, and stating he likes those wheels, not the Sebrings...