Mk2 Golf Carbon Roof

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by taks, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

I reckon people would want to see it. Didn't look rough to me, when the car was in Deano's workshop for the cage. Nice tidy looking car really.

2. skywalker38 Forum Member

okay,so if i understand right you guys did cut the flat part which is sitting directly in the rain gutter completely away,thanks for the info

3. Jommanjo Forum Member

That's correct. May be you won't need to on another roof/car, they're probably all a little different.

4. Jommanjo Forum Member

I'll try to get a simple thread together.

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Spoke to my neighbour at the barn yesterday. They make a lot of fibreglass panels, but he confirmed that they can do carbon as well, although they don't do much of it.

4 would be the minimum number of carbon roof panels to make it worth making a mould, and he doesn't know prices, as he doesn't know the price of the materials at the minute.

If folk are seriously interested, we could start a group buy... Not after one myself, as I don't have a Mk2

6. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

100% interested. I've been after a carbon or fibreglass roof for bloody ages. If there's a group buy I'm in

7. priceygti Forum Member

i'd happily take a fibreglass roof skin for a mk2 providing the cost was reasonable, fibreglass is worth about 250-300 and carbon say 500-700 depending on quality

can you can photo's of their work so we can gauge what it's like?

8. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I'd prefer fibreglass, it's only going to be painted anyway

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Just as an example...
    [​IMG]

Is a fibreglass roof going to be as strong as a carbon one? It's certainly not going to be as light. I wouldn't think it's a good idea (to fit either fibreglass or carbon roof panels in any car without a cage and full harnesses.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  10. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

My plan is to bond it over the top of the original roof, I only want it so I can delete the sunroof and not have to worry about rust. It'll be purely cosmetic. I won't be cutting anything out

11. priceygti Forum Member

i will be having a full multi point roll cage and i want the roof the body color so carbon is a waste of money for me tbh.

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

Isn't the whole point of a carbon roof to reduce weight, rather than to make it look pretty?

There's a budget clubman option, based on the ex Jon-Olds Mk1 golf I bought. He's just riveted and bonded a sheet of ally in place of the original steel roof skin. Takes a lot of the weight out, for a fraction of the cost of a carbon roof.

13. priceygti Forum Member

yes carbon is going to be lighter than fibreglass but fibreglass is going to lighter than a steel roof with the sunroof and mechanism.

plus if your getting that concerned about the weight you might as well swap out the wings, bonnet, bootlid, rear quarters, inner front wings etc. you could chop the front off completely and space frame the front end.

my car will never be used in a competition sense of use, so i would rather have the car looking clean and simple with a color coded roof yes i can paint carbon but painted carbon can look really crap. i've worked on painted carbon panels for seat leon's in a gt race series and the paint was always a ***** to get right always had some imprefections or niggle and if there's any distortion in the carbon you can't really skim it out easily

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

Painted fibreglass isn't famous for keeping its finish y'know.

Saving weight in the roof is more important than other panels, because it's higher up, so what you say about other panels is true, to an extent. Also, a lot of fibreglass stuff isn't that much lighter than steel. I was looking at fibreglass doors for one of my old racing Alfas, but they weigh more or less the same as steel ones, and don't fit nearly as well.

Most of the weight you can save is from removing the sunroof cassette (about 15kg). If you weld the sunroof panel back in, and seal it up, it'll look fairly OEM from the outside, but save most of the weight. Probably better than a fibreglass roof will ever look.

I agree - there's no point buying a carbon roof and then painting it. Even McLaren struggle to get a perfect finish on Carbon fibre - the weave tends to show through.

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

A company called LWS Design is advertising carbon parts on ebay, and could be a potential supplier for this sort of thing. They advertise Mk1 carbon roof panels on ebay, but I don't see a Mk2 one in their current listings. They're based in Portsmouth. Does anyone know of them, or has anyone used them? Based on a quick bit of googling, I think they were only set up this year.

Where were performance trim based - anywhere near there?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  16. skywalker38 Forum Member

i have spoken with daniel seidel from creativ-car-design in Germany and a roof will cost 800,00 euro in cf

17. Bruce T Forum Member

I bought a set of MK2 carbon door cards from LWS, a chap called Lewis. Was very helpful and the product was very good for the price.
    He mainly does Lotus parts but said he can do most things if there is a demand so may be worth contacting him to see if a roof is possible. He sells MK2 sunroof panels so I cant see it being out of the question.

18. Jommanjo Forum Member

They were a part of, I think, Mulsanne Sports Cars near Chichester.

Visually, I intend to keep the roof bare carbon, in keeping with some of the cars you see on the road with black roofs like some A3's, Mercs etc, but I'll try to paint a carbon bonnet and bootlid (leaving the Gti black screen surround in carbon). I think it would be cool to open a red bonnet/boot to see the carbon on the inside.

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

EDIT: Just had an email from LWS - confirmed they're nothing to do with Performance Trim.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  20. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I'd be happy with a fibreglass roof skin as well, need to get rid of my stupid glass sunroof and it'll have, at least, a 6 point weld in cage to add rigidity back to the shell.