MK2 Golf Jacking points...Ouch

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by mat-mk3, May 17, 2012.

1. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

What do i do about this?[:^(]
    Its the passenger side but the drivers side is the same, But no holes in it yet!
    The area around the "cup" has cracked when i was jacking it up and have used the subframe mount since.

Its obviously going to cost me but rough guide and where the hell to take it?
    I could do it myself but getting under it and time is an issue at the moment!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Hi mate,

Does look quite nasty and quite far progressed over a wide area that does. Also looks like it has been looked at before and had that flaky stonechip applied over it.

Hard to say without cleaning it all back and seeing exactly where the metal has rusted far enough to need cutting out and replacing.

It used to be possible to get the original panels for that area (as I did, pictured below) but sadly they're NLA from maindealers now.

[​IMG]

3. danster Forum Addict

As mentioned above, you really need to investigate that further to see the extent of the corrosion.
    If those mk2 repair parts are no longer available, the Polo 6K models are very similar but a stronger design in that area and could easily be adapted with a bit of fabrication I am sure.

Just remember that these cars are made of bits of steel welded together when new, so cutting out large damaged or corroded steel sections and replacing with new parts or good sections cut from a donor car to repair them is acceptable if the work is carried out well.

Might be a good idea to asses the rest of the shell before committing to this work though.

4. Willber Forum Member

I'd imagine theres plenty more once you've chased the underseal back - thats the first port of call. Heatgun and scraper time! Not too bad an area to repair though but there are some tricky bits if its spread nearer to the sills. Good luck :)

5. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

looks similar to what happened to mine, both jacking points collapsed. i gave it to a welder to fix & also have a look round rest of the floor, he found problems all over the floor, worst area being around the rear beam mounting - something i thought was only an issue on mk1's!

basically anywhere the original underseal was cracked, rot had got in

showed me all the rotted area's, then charged me 300 to repair the floor completely and then underseal it

6. Fray16v Forum Member

My brother just did a whole load of welding on a mate's mk2.
    Every time panels where removed more rot cropped up and that started off with just the bulkhead/firewall and a couple of hole's in the floor and ended up both rear arches front/rear inner arches, above the petrol tank, patches on the sill's, battery tray and the air box side. ended up a fair bit needed done.

What a solid shell it is now though. it's going to look mint once it's been resprayed Helios blue.

good luck

7. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Bugger, get the car nice and high with your new jack (bought one didnt you?) and then grind it all back with a flat twist wheel then a brassed steel cup brush, that will get it nice and clean and you can work out just how bad it really is. Iv got a Mk2 on its side at the moment repairing bits of it tbf once the metals clean its easy to patch it up nice and strong if you take your time.

8. mat-mk3

Thanks all for the input.
    The rest of the shell and underbody is fine from what i can see. These bits have been repaired before by the looks of it due to the widow maker going up though.
    Looks like i will have to get under and clean a bit more off. I think the sealant makes it look worse, Or thats wishfull thinking!

I have that picture in my libary Trev and have been looking for a set for a year now, Nothing[8(]

Do you think it would pass an MOT like that? It flew though the last one and i fail to see that much rust forming in 1 year with the car only getting wet twice on 2 track days.

9. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

aye dan thats a good point as a lot of the polo/caddy stuff is mk2/3 based

seat ibiza use the same jacking point as the polo 6k as well as the caddy
    6K0803097 6K0803098
    below is the seat
    [​IMG]

the polo 9n jacking point may be worth a look as well and just use the front bit
    6Q0804177A and 6Q0804178A

part nunber 4 in the picture below

[​IMG]

plus the mk3 golf
    1H0803097 and 1H0803097

a lot of mk3 parts are very similar to the mk2
    as i have found out

and all the above parts cost 20 to 40 quid the mk2 golf one was over 200 quid

and with the polo parts you may be able to use the tt jacking point saver
    as lots do on the mk4 r32

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  10. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

The standard MK2 Golf panels I got a few years ago (which are still on the shelf for if / when I use them on my oak 16V!) were only about 50 each IIRC. It's the G60 / Corrado panels (which are quite different) that were 200ish.

Interesting about looking into panels from Seat, Polo, etc. I remember my old MK1 Seat Toledo had exactly the same Golf MK2 chassis arm panels in the engine bay, for instance.

11. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

yes you right wonder whats different about the g60 golf ones

corrado/golf g60 191804079B and 191804080B about 280

golf jetta 191803097F and 191803098F as you said about 48

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  13. mat-mk3

Trev, Can you confirm the PN's you have for them?

So they are! Do you think this is the plate i need to repair that section?
    Im going to get another big jack so i can get the front right up in the air!

14. rubjonny

its hard to visualise how mcuh they will repair in your car as its so rotten iunder there, but certainly the part numbers match up to the panels trev has :thumbup:

trouble is i think you also need floor pan repair pannels as i think you have the floors right up to the sills, then those 2 parts are welded over the top for strength if that makes sence

15. rubjonny

16. mat-mk3

Found this pic of a 191803097F deep in ebay

[​IMG]

Does it look correct? I guess the jacking nipple goes on the underside where that oval part is pressed into the panel?

I might just order up one of these as it looks like what i will need and go from there. Once i strip it all back i will have to order others if i need it.

17. mat-mk3

Floor pan, Oh god lets hope not!
    I need a ramp...:lol:

18. rubjonny

the holes go thru inside the car dont they? if so its gonna need more than those panels as they just strengtehn the floor pan, you still need to weld the holes in floor shut first! you could go for patches cut out of floor pan repair panels or just cut flat metal to suit

19. Andy947 Forum Addict

I don't think you'll need any floorpan sections to do the repair. Those pieces should have enough.

I've done the repair on a couple of MK2, Those rust holes expose the inner sill, not directly through the floor.

20. rubjonny

cool thats good news then! wasnt 100% sure of the construction around that area