MK2 Golf Jacking points...Ouch

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by mat-mk3, May 17, 2012.

1. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Yeah its strange where they all join in that area.
    The holes do not go inside the car thankfully, Just into the sill section.

Right, Lets get them ordered:thumbup:

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Glad you've been able to source some.

I've discovered that the equivalent panel on one side of my G60 needs attention. Hohum.

3. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Mine looked similar to yours and I've been quoted 400, but that includes replacing the whole drivers sill

4. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aye you have a filler panel that go's from the floor to the sill
    9 times 10 the floor is not to bad
    You can see that on my car

5. Joe16v Forum Member

Did you get this sorted in the end Matt? What did you use?

Tempted to try the polo route as using sheet steel for this seems to be an increasingly bad idea.

6. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

But the standard MK2 ones are still available for 50ish a side, aren't they?

7. Joe16v Forum Member

I thought it was just the rallye ones at over 200 a pop.

Vw heritage want 100 each. Anywhere else?

Problem is my sill has rot. Not sure how I'm going to attach the panel to the sill.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you need to cut all the rot out first, fix it, then put the outer panel on. its no good welding over rust!

9. Jacek Forum Member

Has anyone had any luck with those panels from polo 6k or golf mk3? Do they fit? Or maybe the part from polo 9n is ok ?
    The original one 191803097F is avaible in VW Classic (check here http://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/bestand/, use google translate) for 90€ and shipping ~26€ (almost 100).
    The ones from polo 6k (Left/Right 6k0803097/6k0803098) or golf mk3 (Left/Right 1H0803097/1H0803098) are cheaper. I checked price online on one VW dealer website in Poland, it's 50. I don't know if they are still available . The ones from Polo 9n (Left/Right 6Q0804177A/6Q0804178A) are still available for 40 (VW OEM).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  10. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

An Intresting read.

I have the joys of welding up a jacking point on a MK2 this weekend if I can find my brave pills. Will report back on how things go, unless I get tense and just go to the pub ;)

11. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Well yesterday I took the brave pills and jacked up Ecurie Ecosse Mk2 and it looks like the normal rust hot spot had happened and it loos like it had just "punched" it's self up into the shell when it was jacked up. Over all the small amount of rust was quite localized.

[​IMG]

As the damage was not that bad (on a 21 year old car remember) I made up a repair section. I managed to remove and save the actual jack cup and attached this to the new section, which i made up from 16 gauge sheet. Just as a belt and braces type idea I welded in a two 1cm bracing bits of 16 gauge along the back of this just to ensure it would not bend.

I chopped out the old rusty floor and then welded in the new section. I took the repair forward and just up into the wheel arch for 1-2cm just for neatness and to give the new section some strength.

Gave it a quick coat of paint then just fired up the compressor and fired stone chip over it.
    [​IMG]
    Job done and I jacked up off the stands on the new repair section and nothing moved so I mark that down as a success.

Over all it took me a couple of hours but very satisfying and even in the winter doing these small jobs is not too bad inside. One thing that was quite shocking was the amount of wax that came out once some heat was applied VW really did go to town with this stuff.

12. MUSHY 16V

use the direct link it should then work
    like below
    looks good:thumbup:

{IMG]http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a504/mattdthomas1/before_zpsd48cf7e4.jpg[/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  13. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Ah new to this forum lark, but thank you for fixing the photos. And the complement on the job in question.

14. Jacek Forum Member

I found photos for 6k0803097 , this is element for Polo Classic / Seat Cordoba (6K). As it looks it won't fit to Golf mk2:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe part from Golf mk3 or Polo 9N will be better.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  15. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

How bad is the rust / hole on your mk2?

I have had this issue on both my and my mates mk2, and from my experience they don't tend to rust too much. Can you not get away with just a repair patch ?

[​IMG]

This is all that was needed for the repair last week.

16. Jacek Forum Member

17. MUSHY 16V

I'v seen a lot worse
    And other than the bit affected it looks quit solid

18. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

I agree that it dose look a bit worse, it is not going to be fundamentally any different as far as the repair goes. Other than needing to remove the inner plastic wheel arch and needing to weld in a bit of a larger patch to run up the inner wing.

As Mushy 16V has said it dose over all look quite solid.

19. Joe16v Forum Member

Mine is a ball ache. My passenger side is the worst. Through jacking it up. There is no way I could have plated it once I started poking around. I need to replace a bit of the sill too.

I have now removed the majority of the panel but its not a straight forward fit as it stands proud at the back so I'm going to have to plate over it onto the floor.. There is rust on the inside of the chassis leg that the panel was coveringtoo which I now need to weld up.

I have an oem panel for the pass side. If anyone wants a photo or two let me know.

Seriously considering parting it :thumbd::(

20. Andy947 Forum Addict

When I fixed mine, I used 4mm plate, and ditched the cup parts. Makes getting a jack in on a lowered car much easier. Just use some 10mm heavy duty neoprene pads to protect the car.