MK2 Type 19 differences to later cars

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by spitty6, Feb 16, 2012.

1. sidevalve New Member

I'm into American cars too, and I know the phenomenon well! Luckily for me I'm an originality fanatic, and I like to keep my cars original and perfect for as long as I can, so as I said above I have always covered the carpets and mats and looked after the car as well as I could, and I realised it was unusual early on and resisted the temptation to fit big bumpers etc. (although I must admit that I like how they look). I also have a 75% original 1937 car and two 100% original 1954 cars, so the Golf is the baby in the family. But it has done 228000 miles, hence needing some work...

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

odd then, be sure to post up lots of pictures and measurements! I cant find any reference in ETKA that the related panels differ in anyway 84-92, but ETKA isn't perfect!

3. sidevalve New Member

I will try to, but as I said somewhere the car is in Devon and I am in southern France. But the sills are deffo narrower - the inner edge by the side of the driver's mat is vertical rather than sloping inwards.

4. sidevalve New Member

And somewhere I still have those sodding mats that don't fit! :)

5. rubjonny

On a hunch I've gone back and looked again, the current part numbers for the left floorpan is 191803205C. I took the letter off the end and that appears to be the original part number, it has been superceeded twice by 191803207 then 191803205C. Likewise the seat crossmember piece is currently 191803231A but this has superceeded the original part number 191803231.

so its possible the original pan 191803205 is what you have, and at some point it was redesigned. Unfortunately the part has been superceeded for so long ETKA wont tell me what years it was made for, so i cant say if its very early thing or if all typ-19 shells were like this right up to 88

sidevalve likes this.
  6. damien.wrl Forum Member

Holy thread revival..... Two White Gti 8vs.... The e reg is a private plate , both cars registered on the same day in 88... One is missing a swage line and has no tinted glass..... One is a type 19 one a 1g , Probably the only feature 19s never had was big bumpers , some even had rainbow interiors

[​IMG]

7. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

19's have the wipers on the other side and only have two holes and the are mirrors further back no the doors and quarter light windows and on holes for the side trims
    Only one hole for the bumpers on the front wings and rear mk1 style hand brake

IMG_20160712_202328_zpshsuqjknu.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  8. damien.wrl Forum Member

Nope the f reg above is a type 19 only "early mk2 bit left is the handbrake, no grill no quarter lights proper wipers ... Type 19 is a "scene" name for early production Mk2s .......

9. MUSHY 16V

Aye hand brake is the pivical point between the two

And the vin number

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

My 'Type 19' Mk2 Golf...

[​IMG]

And another "Type 19" from the thread How to ABF your MK2 Golf

[​IMG]

1984 cars were different to 1986 cars then there was minor facelift at the end of 1987. I also owned D660LKM, which was subtly different to a B reg GTI I also drove back in the day.
    All of the above have '19' in the VIN and it just goes to show how ill informed folk can be when using jargon such as TYP19, Type19, OBD1, OBD2 to identify certain vehicle features.

11. MUSHY 16V

They must have changed them as the old parts ran out then moved over to the newer ones

Funny how they do this mini face lifts every year or two

My one was D reg built 86 early grill big spoiler early rear panel wipers on the wrong side red and grey striped seats no washer bottle in the boot
    Quarter light windows aerial on the front wing sill foil rather than skirts
    Mk1 style hand brake
    K_jet EV engine code hydraulic tappets flange twin down pipe
    Stuck on side mouldings with the red stripe so no holes on the side
    No swage line stripe though may have been resprayed

12. MUSHY 16V

It funny how the change the sill on the mk2 as mentioned earlier
    They did a similar thing with the mk1 sills the outer is different as is the hinge on the door post

13. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

My 1986, K-Jet 8v GTi on a 'C'reg has 7 slat grille, small bumpers with red stripe, stuck on side mouldings, wipers on the left, quarter light doors, early door pockets no speakers in them or storage bins, 4 button steering wheel, grey stripe interior, single cut out in the rear valence and the early smaller piston rear brake calipers, also have black swage line stripe and VW badge in centre of rear panel

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  14. Toyotec

Then D reg from 86 Sept. My old (D660LKM) GTI was the same.

15. Andy947 Forum Addict

The front towing eye was different on earlier cars. My Kamei X1 front splitter won't neatly fit a later car. So i bought an early towing eye and the angle of the eye is different.

16. Toyotec

^^That I never knew. Everyday is a school day they say!

17. rubjonny

aye the plastic grille in the valance and tow eye cover differs as well to fit round it proper

18. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

The center console on my A reg had a shallower cubby

19. Djslater81

Djslater81 Forum Member

Bit Late but been working like mad for the past month and had no access to internet, here are pics of my MK2 GL, as I mentioned the previous owner had done the looks of the car (basically fitted coil overs and the rims and carb upgrade) everything else I have done (stuff he didn't or couldn't be bothered with doing i.e. heater matrix, vacuum leaks, carb rebuild, stereo rewire, dash lights including heater control light... list is endless and still going) forgive the filthy state, usually its clean and shining but Ive become lazy over the past month.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  20. Djslater81

Djslater81 Forum Member

[​IMG][/URL] [​IMG] [​IMG][/IMG]

sidevalve likes this.