MK2 Type 19 differences to later cars

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by spitty6, Feb 16, 2012.

1. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

Love my lhd wipers. Even my mot gut asked why my wipers went the other way. I did however ditch the doors as I couldn't see anything with them mirrors

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2. dazfxvw New Member

I thought all mk2's were type 19 no matter what chassis number it came with??. I thought type 19 was just VW's collective name for all second generation golf's.
    Personally I think all the typ19 scene talk is just people's way of trying to make an earlier version of the same car seem more special than it is.
    I had a B reg golf C formel E about 20 years ago and I'm sure it didn't have some the things from the type 19 lists above, it did have start stop assist and speaker pods in the doors , I was the second owner and bought it from an older lady.

3. dazfxvw New Member

This is the engine bay chassis plate from my 1990 mk2 golf and it clearly say type 19 on it.

This is the engine bay chassis plate from my 1990 mk2 golf and it clearly says type 19E on it. I'm going to start calling mine a Type 19 ????

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    sidevalve likes this.
  4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I believe the '19E' code is a separate thing, something to do with German type approval for the MK2 Golf.

check the boot sticker that shows the full type code as used in the VW parts system, plus you can see there your chassis number refers to it as a 1G chassis :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    sidevalve likes this.
  5. sidevalve New Member

Some extra differences that no-one ever seems to mention (I've got an August 84 GTi):

Thinner inner sills - if you look at Djslater81's pic above you can see that the inner edge of the sill inside the open door goes down vertically, whereas the later ones slope inwards (I found this out when I bought a set of genuine VW floor mats and they didn't fit!)

My GTi also has mechanical (not hydraulic) tappets as well as K-Jet mechanical injection - I think those were discontinued very soon afterwards. I have actually been told by a VW parts bloke that it's a Mk1 (idiot). I know it's original because I know the car's history from new, but it comes up on all the parts records as being exactly the same as a Mk1 Campaign Model.

Also seldom mentioned are the lack of red strips on the bumpers and the Mk1 side decals (instead of rubber strips).

6. sidevalve New Member

Ha! Just realised you were responding to my own post - thanks! It's been so long that I hadn't realised that it was me who asked the question!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  7. sidevalve New Member

I had a real nightmare with mine because I imported it to France (it was registered new in the UK as B311GTV but now it's on French plates). The first question on the import form was 'Type du moteur' (type of engine), and I had no idea what they wanted me to say - 'petrol', 'EA827', '1G', 'Typ 19', full engine number, or whatever. So I asked the little Hitler at the French DVLA ('les Mines') if he could come outside with me and have a look at the car and give me a pointer as to what the question might want as an answer. The car was literally 6 feet away, right outside the huge picture window of his office, but he raised himself to his full not very impressive height and said 'I'm an ENGINEER' (as opposed to a mechanic - in other words, he didn't get his hands dirty). So I just looked all over the engine compartment and wrote down every code number, plate and casting number that I could find. He very unhelpfully refused to tell me if I was on the right lines, but 2 days later the reg came back so it was all O.K. Typical example of a bureaucrat doing exactly NOT what he's supposed to do (serve the people), though.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  8. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Engine number is easy and will most likely start with EV if it is a 8v

sidevalve likes this.
  9. sidevalve New Member

Thanks - I know that though! What I didn't know was what question Hitler wanted to know the answer to - I didn't think 'engine number' was the right answer to the question 'type of engine', and in fact it wasn't. I can't remember what was, but it's filled in on the French reg cert, which is with the car (i.e. not here!).

10. sidevalve New Member

One more thing (several years later!) - my Type 19 has mechanical tappets. The VW garages always used to tell me it was a Mk1 Campaign and all Mk2 GTis had hydraulic tappets - until I arrived and parked it outside...

11. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

My type 19 has AWD.

sidevalve likes this.
  12. sidevalve New Member

Really - didn't know they had it that early

13. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

They didn’t, I did it myself.

14. sidevalve New Member

Excellent!