Mk5 gti candy project

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by mk2 nas, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I'd always lightly oil a bolt thread and underside of the head before torque-ing.

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Great work, but out of curiosity why are you taking a screen shot of the picture and then uploading the screen shot? [:D]

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I do that sometimes to change it to jpg or to reduce the image size in kb/mb, to make it easier to upload.

Savagesam likes this.
  4. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Lol I think sometimes if I've took a lot of pictures then I screenshot sometimes so they are most recent and easy to find at the top of my list.

5. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Took mk5 for mot today and it failed.but I'm a bit annoyed.
    First problem split cv tbh I should have spotted it but didnt so fair enough.

Second fail is the auto levelling headlights
    That's a first for me.and didnt realise it was a fail.( just check they work and that's usually good enough)

Third fail now this one I'm really annoyed
    Tester can see corrosion on edge of sill at rear end reckons he can see a problem.
    Bloke on reception says for a retest I'd have to book in and let them remove side skirts.
    Or i remove prior to retest.are they f@cking serious.

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Have a look at the MOT manual online, in my days of MOT testing it was not mandatory to remove panels to check for hidden corrosion.

It may have changed, but I'd be searching for facts to go back to them.

Should all be on the Mot GOV site.

7. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

That seems a bit rough - I've seen advisories on MOTs history sheets of cars I am looking to buy that say along the lines sill covers fitted can't see to test etc.

However, for peace of mind, it might be worth removing them and taking a peak and getting it repaired before it gets out of hand. Where abouts are you based? I've used Andy from Mobile Classic and Customs. He is based in coventry but travels to me near Cambridge. He works to a reasonable day rate and will just do the welding and you do the painting - if it's just a couple of ends of sills he will get it done in a day, possibly both sides if you sourced some repair panels so he doesn't need to fab too much. He always cuts out rot fully and never plates over old rot. Real nice bloke - he actually taught me the basics of how to weld but I'm still not confident to do say an arch.

https://www.facebook.com/Mobile-classics-customs-109532620940537/

8. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Didn't think they could remove any trim?
    2 cars mot since 28th Jan, both had a note in advisories, and had same on my inca as had cupra sill covers on.

What I found odd last time had polo tested, had advisory on blowing exhaust, not a fail

Attached Files:

9. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Too be honest I've done a shed load of.work on the car.i dropped side skirt on drivers side to sort out front end where door/sill/wing meet.
    But kinda left the back attatched had a good look and seemed reasonably ok for an mot.
    With the intention of sorting later.but I never saw any serious issues if I had doubts I wouldnt of presented it for an mot.
    As I know how anal some testers are.it will get an mot but it wont be with them.he said remove side trim and bring it back.i told him none of my cars will ever be back.
    He couldnt definitely answer me on the corrosion.i said if it's not in view then surely is isnt part of test.we went round in circles and then I left.i dont scimp a car it gets what it needs and I wouldnt drive an unsafe car but this result is bs.
    Just to add the car dosnt have self levelling
    Headlights but he has noted another fail as the dash switch dosnt move the up/down
    Motion of headlight.headlights work fine.
    Side/dipped/high no issues.
    My passat tdi had 3 advisories last year same garage I've sorted NONE of these
    And it passed recently at that same garage
    With none of them mentioned from previous mot.so yes it seems wrong tester wrong day
    And your screwed.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022