MK6 GOLF GTi

Discussion in 'Mk6' started by Richard Mk2, Mar 5, 2009.

1. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^^ you probably wouldn't want to drive a 200+ bhp car as heavy as a mk5 without that type of stuff!!

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

We've been there before... hands up who still plays casette tapes? Hardly anyone, things move on, it's called progress.

If progress is a GTI that weighs nearly 1500kg has 200bhp (needs 200bhp to pull the bloody thing around!) and a load of driver aids, then so be it.

3. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

You comparing top end/rarer models of one type of car (Focus RS and Sport megane) against the boggo standard Mk6 Golf. of course the Golf will look underwhelming ffs.

Looking at the boggo standard Models of all those car mentioned, I think the Golf stacks up well, and more importantly I think the Boggo Mk6 looks much better than its Mk5 counterpart. Its certainly a step in the right direction looks wise - if not all, as others have alluded to in this thread.

Compare the R20T against the the RS and Megane Sport and you ccould have a decent piont. But I think that holds up well enough to them.

4. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Love mkV and mkVI Gti Golfs

MkV drives way better and quicker than figures suggest, and who cares of 0-60 times!

Means nothing of how quick the car will be in reall life

Focus Rs is bolody amazing achievement as Gary saidand i'm with him on that one

However Gti will be much nicer car inside and is alot better looking, to me anyway

If i had the money i would have both!

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

As I said on another site when people were saying the 0-60 of the Focus is only 5.9....

How often do YOU do a 0-60 sprint??

6. cocobay63 Forum Member

happen to agree, not much of a Ford fan myself, but this RS does look like a really nice car, im sure the Mk6 golf Gti will be good, but will have to test it when it comes out, no doubt there may be a Mk6 R32 version too,

7. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I'm in two minds about them. I was the same with the MKV but eventually I took to them. Will wait till I actually see one in the flesh to pass judgment.

8. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Exactly....

30-50mph

50-70mph

Alot more important

9. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

But if it didn't have all these driver aids then it wouldn't weigh so much, and actually have some figures worth showing off!

Every set of traffic lights :lol:
    What's the point of a Golf GTI if almost all of the common rival hot hatches, and your 20 year old counterpart are gonna leave you for dead at the traffic light grand prix?!

10. Admin Guest

nail on head Jolfa:thumbup:

11. Admin Guest

bmw x5 has a casette player for some reason, had the jous of fixing the cd multichanger in my directors the other day.

12. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

:o :o You can't say that. I did, on another thread, and became the stupidest f**kwit on the forum for even suggesting such a thing:lol:

13. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

No wonder we dont get many new car owners on this forum. Not everyone wants to be shaken to the bone in an old rattle Mk1/2 Golf on their daily commute. Just cause a lot of you guys run them as dailys, doesnt mean everyone wants to.

This is the modern age. Cars are sold on their safety ratings. Pedestrian safety is as much of a seller as passenger safety. In order to meet these safety laws, they have to conform to certian shape and size criteria. Also, a lot of the gadgetry on modern cars saves lives. Why would a mainstream manufacturer not put them in?

14. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Fair enough, but if they're going to put that much extra safety/weight in a car then they need to up the power to shift it at any kind of competetive speed!

15. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Why? Is the Road a competetive place? "The Car Market" might be competetive, but when you've paid your money and on the road it isn't a competetive place is it? New models and what is on them is driven by what the majority of people want when looking for a new car.

Hense:

Air Bags
    Traction Control
    Side impact
    crumple zones
    etc etc etc

This all adds weight - and Fuel ecomomy/emission output, is more important to people when buying a new car than Headline BHP and Weight figures.

If that attitude changes, then we will see a new range Golfs very similar to the Mk1 or 2 - But that won't ever happen now.

Basic Supply and demand really - The Majority of people when buying a new car want comfort and stylling over performance. You and I don't, hence we drive around in rock hard lowered 19 year old cars that, apart from teh actual shell, probably bear little resemblance in terms of parts to what actually rolled off the production line.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  16. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

By that logic, why doesn't 'average car buyer' just buy a basic 1.6 model then.

All I'm saying is the GTI isn't special enough to warrant the badge in my opinion of course...

17. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

And all I'm saying is that it isn't special enough for you.

It is plenty special enough for many many people, hence the reason that nearly every Mk5 Golf I see, is a GTI.

18. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Much more in a front wheel drive and your asking for problems.
    Its still got to be in a price range including tax and insurance.

I think they have the balance spot on:p

19. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Hey man, enough of the basic!!! :p

I happen to love my 1.6 and shes very nippy! When I can afford to buy a 16v GTI in good nick I will!

This aside, I agree with Jolfa - the GTI isnt nearly quick enough in comparison to rival hot hatches, sometimes it seems to me that VW rely more on past reputation to get them by than stirring up a sh*t storm with their new motors. However, I do love the styling of this golf - I cant say the same for the new Scirocco, which I think looks like a bag of sh*te.

20. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Have you driven a Mk5 GTi?
    I waited 5 months for mine to be built and delivered, I waited for what seemed like an eternity with quiet awe simply based on how stimulating the car was to drive on the 45min solo test drive Nottmingham VW let me have. The car goes, stops, & steers infinatly better than any Mk2 16v road car I've ever driven and thats been plenty, can even be more fun than my mk2 Jetta track car. I've had mine for 8months now and only covered 2000miles but every time I go out in it it makes me feel special and rewards the efforts I put in.... when my term with this one ends i'll be straight into a MK6 GTI or even the R20t...

Your welcome to your opinion of course, but I suggest you drive a Mk5 or Mk6 GTI when its out, you might just change your mind.