More Power from 16V

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Gwedo, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Gwedo New Member

Getting abit board of my GTIs power [:s] its running really well all healthy :)

All the mods are a panel filter, drilled airbox, and a magnex system.

What would be the next logical step for more power,

would a manifold be a good idea? not looking to spend loads what gives the best bang for buck :)

cheers

Gwedo

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Firstly have a browse or do a search on here, we've discussed the 16v a lot recently.

Best bang per buck in my opinion is a second hand 9A 2 litre I paid 350 for mine - if you're handy with the spanners you and a helpful mate could fit it in a weekend, use the KR cams from your old engine though

350 sounds a lot but by the time you've bought a 4-2-1 manifold (250) and a Vibratechnics mount to stop it cracking (140) it won't sound a lot of money - obviously if you've got to pay someone to fit the engine , that's a different story.

Then -get the car set up by someone that knows the 16v

A rolling road tune at Stealth racing gained my car 21bhp :lol:

See the tune up page on my site for details, click the www button or the link in my sig :thumbup:
    Edited by: G_V_K

3. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Get a 2.0 [:D]

4. daveybwoy Forum Member

I would agree with gary but be careful you could take a perfectly healthy KR block out which has many miles left in it to replace it with 9A which already has a hole dug for it in the great engine cemetery in the sky.

Its whats stopping me at the mo.

5. micky1 Forum Member

Have a look around on autotrader etc for a complete car.Ibought a passat from brum with 12 months mot for 300.drove her home and checked it all out,ie compresion ,top end etc then ripped it to bits!(best bit)I`ve got the lot now ready to go in soon,

P.S. i even disguised the day out to the missus with a shopping trip!!! ;) :lol:

6. nez1978 Forum Member

just out of interest, what sort of price do people charge for fitting a 9a engine?? I want a 2l i think, after thinking about the vr, and 20vt. I want to tune a 9a instead. Just my mechanical doesn't stretch to engine swaps.

My engine i think is on its way out, its got 163,000 on it, but it uses oil, and now it stinks too. Not a good look for a mint vw.

7. Gwedo New Member

i knew you would all say 2ltr lol

but as nez, i dont have the skills to fit and engine and to pay someone to do it would cost loads [:^(]

So other than a 2ltr what else would you recomend for some extra power?

8. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

cant you just fit parts from the 2ltr?
    bottom end or whatever?

9. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

I'm thinking along similar lines with my 16v which is on 125k miles, runs fine but has a crunchy gearbox and not enough power!

Thinking of doing a post on 'what bits do I need for a 9a or abf 2litre conversion' soon! [:D]

My worry is that if I change to 2litre bottom end will my existing alternator, PAS pump, air-con pump etc all fit it okay and what gearbox to use?!? [:s]

10. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Dave - that's my worry too! Never been in a 2litre Mk2 though, probably just need to experience the power/torque advantage and I'll wanna get the spanners out though! ;)

11. stealthwagon Forum Member

if your not on a budget then get it turbo'ed
    and gain some real power and torque!

12. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

it all depends on your budget - if you are looking at under 100 then try pumping up the tyres and changing the oil

up to 1000 then go 2 litre

somewhere in between? name your price and we'll tell you what you can get for it, or name the power you want, and we'll give you an idea of price

13. Guests Banned

Theres an engine in the classifieds ;)

14. ViCk Forum Member

A rolling road tune ?

15. flusted Forum Member

get the two exhaust cam trick done its wicked.You will need a machined chainwheel which HOTGOLF on this forum can do,the whole mod will cost you about 50 less fitting and makes a hell of a difference :p [:D]

16. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Stu - the 9A block has all the same mounting holes as a KR so all your bits should fit.

17. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Cheers Gary - good to know, that could make things a lot easier! Ideally I wouldn't want to have to de-pressurise my air-con, just tie the compressor to one side if possible and then remount it on the new bottom end.

I will do a post on what bits I need and where from when I get chance, thinking about gearboxes, whether to rebuild the 020 or go cable change etc? - get ready for a lot of questions! :)

Could make my car a bit more interesting for next years 'Ring trip though! [:D]

18. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Cable chnage isn't worth it IMO.

I went cable change in my old 8v.. i havn't and won't in the 16v.

19. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Tub - how much would it cost to get my 020 rebuilt then? I think the 2nd gear synchro is on the way out and I've changed the oil, renewed linkages etc already.

Would it be better to get another secondhand 'box or get the original rebuilt? :)
    Edited by: StuB

20. Gwedo New Member

"get the two exhaust cam trick done its wicked.You will need a machined chainwheel which HOTGOLF on this forum can do,the whole mod will cost you about 50 less fitting and makes a hell of a difference "

whats this then? anymore info?