More Power from 16V

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Gwedo, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Girlyracer Forum Member

he does everything else !!

2. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

of course 800g's rebuilds gearboxes,

that's just over breakfast....

3. prof Forum Addict

actually he has a gearbox for breakfast just pours the milk in and munches away

4. micky1 Forum Member

barny,what was a drive in drive out price?The gearbox rebiuld or fitting the lsd?

5. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Always loved the idea of having a G60 16V but I understand that's possibly the hardest engine conversion one could think of doing! Considered getting a standard 8V G60 lump too, but I guess sticking with 16V will always be miles cheaper.

It's interesting to know who rebuilds 'boxes because this is something I'd definitely want to have done too.

I never realised rebuilding gearboxes was such a complicated and expensive thing to do.

6. AZIM Forum Member

I was wondering is there any negative points to the two exhaust cam trick ????

7. mike2662 Forum Member

Used and tried all 4 engines and digifant, 1.8 and 2.0 8V(both digifant and KJet),16V and also a ported and lightened and balaced 9A(has since gone to the graveyard owing to a defective oil pump!!). currently running a standard 9A with KR cams. I would say the 9A has the best of both world in terms of power and torque, if with a ported head and balanced and lightend crank it really flies and it would get upto 130MPH easy!! In the future I will go back this road and even the missius misses that engine!! I will put the crank back in when I need to do the clutch and port the spare KR head which I have with me [:D]. Please also bear in mind in Malaysia I do not have access to all the spares and tuning houses that you guys have. VWs are as rare as a Porsche in this country as the former agents were crap. I envy you guys for having access especially Vince at Stealth again is coming to Malaysia for a holiday???

With a 2.08v(ABK)with digihead the initial response is much better 2-3000RPM but after that the 16V really flies and I think the 9A does not lose much is just the way the power differentation is on the 16V 2.0.

8. flusted Forum Member

NOPE!
    as long as you know someone who will fit or do it yourself

9. blighty Forum Member

this two exhaust cam trick, is it a simple remove exhaust cam from one engine and replace the inlet cam?
    I presume it also doesnt help the mpg much?

10. tomsdubs Forum Member

7 year bump, impressive

11. blighty Forum Member

it was one of the better explanations further up that made me reply to this thread and not one of the others. lol. been reading into it a bit more now and think I kind of understand the process a bit more.

12. SimonG Forum Member

Wow, that is good, 7 years :) Changing over is pretty straight forward if you have basic knowledge. I think that the exhaust cam will need a keyway cutting into it. So not a diy job unless you have the tools. It has been mentioned various times over the years. And it may affect your MPG, not hugely though.

13. PB-1981 New Member

id like to know what the 2 exhaust cam trick is also, although i feel i may be leading with my chin lol

14. bazmcc Forum Member

Weigh up the 2 exhaust cam mod against buying a decent set of aftermarket cams....

15. danster Forum Addict

Old threads do not always have the most up to date info.

Have a read of a more recent one on cam specs. here.