My 16v Turbo Track Car

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by sparrow, Oct 19, 2006.

1. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks guys.

Swirl pot is on it's way:
    [​IMG]

Also need to order an oil catch tank, but will do that tomorrow evening as my Paypal account will have some money in it by then. [:D]

2. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Small update, no pics unfortunately.

Fuel pump is in and sorted. Catch tank and intercooler piping all sorted and fitted. Intercooler piping was then removed to get dump valve welded in (as it's ali, it had to be sent away). Just wating for the pipe for the N75 to be welded in and then that can all go back in.

Oil cooler is, in front of the radiator, which has twin slim line fans installed.

No reverse lights at the moment as the clutch cable mechanism fouled on it, and a clutch was more important than reverse lights.

Pretty much ready to go as soon as the ali pipe work is done. Just a case of bolting up the front end and starting her up.

Will get a basic map up to 4k rpm, and then it's time to start running her in. Will do a full thousand miles, and then turn the boost up to 1.5 bar and see what happens. [:D]

3. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

She runs! [:D]

[YOUTUBE]KATBY1x11tA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]6_ceZRwGhnE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]9kDHh8U0Ogo[/YOUTUBE]

Had a couple of problems. When she was started on Tuesday, there was a water leak from the head gasket. This was replaced today.

When the engine was warmed up, we found an oil leak from the back of the engine. Turns out there must be a pin hole in one of the welds on the oil return pipe. This is a turbo off job unfortunately, so means the car won't be ready until next week now. :(
    I was hoping to put some miles on her this weekend, as I'm going to do a couple of hundred miles this weekend, but never mind.

Also need a new switch on the rad for the fans, as they weren't coming on.

Once the above is sorted, it will be mapped up to about 4k rpm, and I'll have some driving to do. Can't wait! :clap: :p

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That's great news Alex [:D] I didn't realise this one was nearly running.

Fun times coming up!

5. jim..c New Member

Hi Alex - good to meet at Bedford yesterday! Looking forward to seeing this run.:thumbup:

6. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Hey Jim, nice to meet you too. I can't wait for it to be running either! [:D]

7. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Alex,

Looking good. You may remember me, I am the `sparrow` killer from Bedford ;)

Should be a beast when finished !

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

RSPB have been informed mr Pinder!!

9. BULL

BULL Forum Member

It's Alive!!

10. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

:lol:

Hi Nige, course I remember you. You did this:
    [​IMG]
    Killing my kin! [:x] :lol:

Indeed it is Jim. I'll go down to Stealth tomorrow for an update. Should be just about ready.

11. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I didn't make it to Stealth yesterday due to a solid case of man flu (spent yesterday flat on the couch or asleep in bed). Went down this morning to have a nosey, only for some more bad news.

Vince got the car running, and on to the rollers. However, the car was running way too rich. Even with the injector duty cycle as low as it would go, it was still rich! [:s]
    A quick check on the part number yielded no results, it's as if they didn't exist.
    Vince grabbed some other injectors off another project, fitted them. Guess what? Er, no, it was worse.

After much faffing around, eliminating things, the only thing left is the ECU. A call to DTA later, and the problem is solved. Apparently there is a problem with the very first S40 ECUs, so that has now been sent back to be updated. Bleh.

Now waiting on this to return.

Everything else is done, apart from fitting the front bumper. Wheel alignment is done, running 5* caster and -1.5* camber for now. Will adjust as needed once it's been on track.

Hopefully by the end of next week. Sure I haven't said that before! [8(]

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Keep the updates coming. Any front pics/bonnet pics?

Pretty sure Bill's got one of these lined up for his Ibiza?

13. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

No pics Chris. Forgot to take the camera with me. I'll take a proper set when I pick the car up.

It shouldn't be a problem for Bill, if he's only getting his now, it was only the very first few. I bought mine more than 6 months ago, one of the first ones.

14. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Dont you hate it when a manufactures know they have a problem with a product, but chooses not to inform customers until they complain. Ive had the same thing with Bosch over the last year [:x]

15. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

S60 on mine and in need of a reflash I'm told, which you can do on S60/S80, not sure on the S40 but I think so... if its a firmware issue and not hardware.

good info tho.. I have sold a few S40's and not had this report (yet)

16. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I am a bit annoyed, especially as I bought it direct from them. I wouldn't have thought it would be that hard to check who had bought them, and send out a generic letter to inform us.

17. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Not sure how to solve it on the S40, although Vince had to send mine back. It's only Version 1 of the S40s too.

Paul 16v likes this.
  18. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Now the brand new turbo needs new oil seals!! [8(] [:x] [xx(]

When will it ever end?

19. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Bought a new turbo, and dropped it off at Stealth yesterday. Hopefully turbo fitted this week, and a running in map on next week.

Took a quick pic of the front of the car with Rallye intercooler and oil cooler:

[​IMG]

20. prof Forum Addict

great work there mate, forgot how huge those rallye intercoolers are

but a hot oil cooler in front of intercooler hmmmmmm

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008