My 2.0 ABF Dyno run. Power seems down and AFR is high.

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by Nige, Mar 3, 2009.

1. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Maybe a small air leak and more evident at high rpm with engine inhaling harder?

Or becoming bigger air leak due to engine movement under load, ie rubber parts streching?

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Sam,surely on k-jet, from my experience, if you've got ANY air leak the idle goes to pot.

If you had rubber parts stretching, ie air intake pipe - throttle body elbow, it would run terribly as sucking in unmetered air.If it had an air leak that bad, it'd whistle, wouldn't it?

Been chatting to Nige this week on the phone bouncing ideas around and it appears it runs 'ok' just feels gutless to what he's used to.

Obviously there must be a problem with the fuelling to show the AFR it did on test. Rubjonny, could it be a 'flow' problem with the fuel pump rather than pressure?

On ess-three's thread he's put a plot from a standard ABF lump up, 151bhp 12something lb/ft on a Maha set up.....

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I suppose it could, i was thinking flow would also effect pressure? definitly worth a try anyway. on mine with a blocked filter there wasnt enough pressure to even open the injectors but thats already been replaced...

on the dyno did you notice the main pump got louder as the revs increased, perhaps pointing to the reservoir starting to run dry?

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Main pump reservoir running dry would mean the lift pump is not up to task.
    If the mechanical components are working as evidenced by the back to back testing using parts from Brookster and default, then it may be that at STD system and control pressure differential, the main pump is not flowing the require amount of fuel to achieve lambda and thus torque at the fix spark angle settings.

5. GVK

You just wouldn't hear that on the rollers with the other noise.

Nige, something I have just thought of, you've probably checked already, but are there any fuel lines kinked or crushed under the car at all?

6. rubjonny

get down there and put your ear to it then :lol:

7. azur Forum Member

I still (with my limited knowledge) think its to do with the cams. has anyone actually used twin KR exhaust cams on the ABF before and got good results? I know its been done on the 9a but aren't there some small differences between the 9a and ABF head?

I read somewhere that the exhaust valves were smaller by 1mm on ABF heads (27mm v 28mm) and valve lengths were shorter too, so if you have KR cams with less lift than ABF cams might this make a difference?

If you have the time and some standard ABF cams lying around you could plonk them back in to eliminate that problem.

Feel free to dismiss my suggestion if im being stupid :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  8. GVK

KR cams work fine in an ABF

Ian Vant's old mk1 had an ABF on k-jet running kr cams, and it did 173bhp on Dave Walker's rolling road. Bloody flew.

I think Nige has already put some ABF cams in it (possibly) to try.

He's deffo swapped the twin ex cams out and fitted stock kr's

9. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

All true Garry, i was just guessing really as i had a simmilar fault on my corrado

Rubber elbow had a fine slit in it, used to idle well and drove fine if driven gently but had problem when accelerating harder, must of been streching and leting air in

Was perfect since i replaced elbow

Still cant see how it can lack fuel if pump has constant pressure as Nige said on test runs?

10. rubjonny

my thoughts would be to bench test the injectors, get 4 containers of equal size, put each injector into one each. jumper the fuel pump relay, then pull the metering head flap through its full range of travell, note injector spray pattern from idle to wot positioning, and also volume of fuel injected :thumbup:

doing a 'hot' test is a bit more tricky as you need to heat up the wur somehow, i wouldnt want to try it in a hot engine bay as this could result in 'Bad Things' occuring

edit just thought about it, I assume the WUR heater would eventually bring it to warm control pressure, not sure the length of time this would take mind...

11. GVK

Sam, fair enough if you've actually had that fault, I just thought any air leak on k-jet would cause a rough idle.

12. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Only found it by chance, was cleaning 18 years of grime from all rubber couplings and came accross the split in the boot, it obviously only manifested it self under load and alot of movement which was ALOT due to shagged engine mounts

Just thinking it could be something as simple as that allowing unmetered air in and leaning mixture

Hope Nige finds the fault and saves this engine!

13. GVK

Same here :thumbup:

14. paul_c Forum Member

No need to warm up the warm up regulator. If you pull the air metering unit's flap to fully up, this will represent WOT, at max rpm, on a cold engine. In other words, the maximum possible fuel flow possible. If it was held a little down from this position, it would represent WOT at max rpm with a warmed up engine. WUR only affects CONTROL pressure, not SYSTEM pressure.

In fact, the only value of the injector test is to check for quality of spray pattern and an equal amount of fuel delivered by each injector. There's no real point trying to get quantitative fuel amounts off it. Getting fuel flow on its own is not so great value. You want fuel flow relative to airflow, in other words AFR. The wideband and AFR measurements does this much better!

For info, this is my AFR at WOT, 2nd gear accelerating from lower rpm to hitting the rev limiter at 7000rpm or so. You can also see MAP, which shows (approximately correlates to) how much the throttle was open too.

[​IMG]

15. paul_c Forum Member

Also found these which might be handy. AFR vs control pressure:

[​IMG]

AFR vs mixture screw adjustment (note how it makes almost no difference at high power):

[​IMG]

A run thru the gears:

[​IMG]

16. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Cams are the std ABF cams now.

I am going to do the injector flow into a measuring bottle next week and will post my findings here, maybe somebody else has some figures of their own to compare ?

You wouldn`t hear a THING in that dyno booth ! it was so loud, even putting your ear to it wouldn`t make a difference.

I thought.
    If I unplugged the lift pump and drove it, what symptoms would I notice if it was faulty, ie, would it start hesitating at high revs, or just do similar to what it is doing now?

Basically, there is voltage at both pumps, if I unplug the main pump the engine stops, if I unplg the lift pump, I couldn`t tell any difference with it idling, but didn`t want to take it on the road with that unplugged until i`d asked here.

I have looked CLOSELY at the pipes / hoses and really can`t see any splits :(

17. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

just reading pauls post, as the wur gives more fuel when cold, would it not be worth unscrewing it from the engine block whilst I try and find the problem, that would richen it up even when warm wouldn`t it ??

Obviously this is only a temporary suggestion to keep it rich for now.

18. GVK

Normally if the lift pump fails the main pump is really noisy, sounds like a chainsaw.

Mine failed once a few years back and it was very sluggish on acceleration.

19. rubjonny

Doh yes you're right of course :lol:
    The idea wasn't about checking the ammount of fuel sprayed overall, but checkign all 4 spray equally (hence why i specifically said, 4 equal sized containers ;)) and also to check the spray pattern at all fuel loadings to make sure the fuel pump is up to the job. My assumption is that if the main pump is failing to supply enough volume under load this would be obvious with the fuel spray pattern trailing off and/or stopping altogether...

The MK1 haynes & bentley gives figures for testing the ammount of fuel flow from both the main and lift pumps, I assume this is still aplicable to the MK2?

20. paul_c Forum Member

You want to preserve the function of the WUR, ie lower control pressure at cold, higher once warm, so it fuels correctly at cold/during warm up, on all throttle and driveability settings, ie idling, part throttle, in traffic, etc. So simply unbolting it from the block is no use, it would simply give a 'bump' where it was too rich (part way thru warmup) since the heating element would eventually get it up to temp.

Neither is unplugging it, or a combination of unplugging and unbolting. This would reduce the authority of the control pressure swing, which would translate to too lean at startup and/or too rich once warm.

I guess the suggestion of ditching the whole K-Jet and going with EFI is looking fairly good, at the moment? Don't worry, its possible to set it up properly, you just need to be able to accurately measure the important things (CO at idle, AFR at part and full throttle). Also being able to measure fuel pressure is handy, since it saves the guesswork in setting things up sweetly. Once you have got the knack of knowing what sets what, a 'window' of good running will reveal itself, and you simply try different settings within here on the dyno, to get best power.