My 2.0 ABF Dyno run. Power seems down and AFR is high.

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by Nige, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

Good work... now advance the timing to 8 degrees and stick it back on the rolling road and see how much power you've got ;)

Glad you got it sorted!

Just one thing puzzling me - I thought you'd already tried those parts, and it wasn't any better - or were you just not sure without the feedback from the AFR meter?

2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I`d taken it on a known road, with the datalogger running and done a 20 - redline in 3rd gear. its a standard test I do to see how the car is going, its repeatable as I do 3 runs and take the average (they are all within 0.1 anyway). The tests after fitting Brooksters MH and Injectors were identical to the ones before, with this engine, hence me thinking there was no difference.

maybe not in performance, but there definately is in AFR. I`m making a set of det cans up and will THEN advance the timing whilst listing for det and hopefully get some of those missing horses back :thumbup:

3. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

My 16v was running 10 deg advance when Stealth set it up.

4. paul_c Forum Member

Well, only a part success. Its no longer leaning out at high rpm (its under stoich of 14.7) but it goes out of optimal AFR (which is around 12-13) at high load/high rpm. Notice how all the shape of the lines is similar, just displaced? This is a function of the shape of the cone on a K-Jet metering head, since this is what determines how much the fuel valve lifts according to how much airflow goes through the thing, ie the 'map'.

Are you running a 16V metering head at the moment? If so, I'd try a 1600 metering head instead. Unless you don't want more power, of course.

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'm surprised you didn't get a difference. Was it windy?

6. Nige

I was too, hence me thinking there was no change.

Paul, you have a part Number of the 1600 MH please?

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

According to VAGCAT.com, the part number is 'no longer available' :lol:

8. Nige

I`ll just fit a standard one then. Before the AFR gauge, with the working MH, I thrashed it on lots of trackdays with no problem, the AFR was probably rising at the same point, I just never knew :lol:

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

There have been Kjet track-cars pushing 200bhp, so the 16v metering head should be able to cope. Did stripping down and cleaning it not resolve the issue?

I might know of a 1600 metering head coming up, along with a 1600 eng & box (1600 gearbox with 3.9 diff), but it's still being chased up, so have no idea on condition.

10. Nige

Checked the Lift pump filter by removing the pump from the tank
    [​IMG]

Filter was clean, at least that is now discounted
    [​IMG]

As my old Metering head was the problem and a replacement was on its way, I decided to strip the old one down to see if I could spot anything obvious.
    [​IMG]

The nozzles in the head were clean and unblocked or visibly worn
    [​IMG]

In the middle of the head is a small filter
    [​IMG]

I removed the filter
    [​IMG]

It wasnt blocked but was slightly blinded
    [​IMG]

gentle clean with an old toothbrush and some petrol cleaned it up in seconds
    [​IMG]

The central metering valve was a little worn, but not really enough to show on the photos
    [​IMG]

Re-assembled and refitted. Absolutely no difference, still lean. :lol: [8-}]

Replacement MH arrived today courtes of Lizard :veryhappy: Fitted it easily enough
    [​IMG]

Went for a drive and the new MH works as well as the loan one :thumbup: Still leaning out over 6,500rpm but OK up to there.

Decided to check the flow rates through my injectors (I`d removed the new loan ones when I swapped the MH)
    Removed all injectors and placed them into 4 measuring bottles
    [​IMG]

Wedge metering flap fully open (taking care to not force it, JUST enough to be full open)
    [​IMG]

bypassed fuel relay as before and ran fuel pump for 60 seconds
    [​IMG]

The amounts dispensed were not all equal
    [​IMG]

Removed small torx screw covering allen key on each injector on the metering head
    [​IMG]

adjusted the allen screw with a 3mm allen key. This does not increase the overall amount of fuel supplied, just the ratio to each injector.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see how I`ve over corrected and No2 now has too much fuel going to it.
    [​IMG]

Took about 10 attempts, adjusting one affects the flow to the other 3, so its a case of small adjustments, check amount in 60 seconds and then adjust a bit more. By the time I`d finished, each injector was giving out almost the same amount in a minute :thumb:

Refitted injectors, tidied up lines and went for a short drive to check all was OK. Still low AFR at all revs to 6.5k then it starts rising, so I`m happy with that
    [​IMG] :thumbup:

This engine still feels less urgent over 6k than the old one. I`m hoping it may be a little coked up from its previous life, so it may free up over the next few trackdays when I start giving it some revs. Timing is still conservative, I`m making a set of det cans so I can try advancing it a little, but keep an ear out for any pinking.

I`m happy it is now working, should be reliable and the loss of power is a secondary concern right now :)

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

excellent, i did suspect thats what those allen screws were for but its nice to have it confirmed :thumbup:

12. paul_c Forum Member

Is all the above with the 16V metering head?

13. Nige

Yeah, I wondered, thats why I posted what I`d done so the info would be there for future. I`ve learned a lot from this forum, its good to be able to give something back :thumbup:

Paul, its a 16V MH, same as I had before. I`m keeping my eye out for a 1600 one, from looking at your research, thats definately the way forward, its finding one thats the tricky part ;)

14. davidwort Forum Member

great info reading this thread, much appreciate your time in sharing all this, you've inspired me to test out my system as the injectors are now on 165,000 miles.

no. 1 cyl injector
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 and 4 output in 1 in min
    [​IMG]
    and the delivery was all remarkably even across the 4 over 1 minute at full airflow plate deflection
    [​IMG]

Couldn't believe the noise it makes, hell of a racket! At that flow rate you'd empty a full tank of fuel in an hour I reckon! lol
    As you warned, the fuel vapour is v dangerous, even into narrow necked bottles, very glad I did this outside in the fresh air, huge amount of vapour created.
    Anyway all seems well, a few odd bits in the spray patterns, but I don't think they are too bad, are new injectors perfect spray cones? I didn't think even they were?
    Very tempting to do a wideband and gauge, looks extremely useful even if not going fully EFI.
    cheers again for the encouragement and info to check my system out :)

15. bazoldskoolmk2 Forum Member

k-jet/ke-jet

hi guys, apologies for not bein paid member- i will rectify!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
    i regularly suffer from vw induced insomnia type issues, reminds me of my youth.
    if its runnin rich then i reckon(although a very long thread which i skimmed only) the kjet high pressure pump delivery can supply enuff fuel for any setup.
    there4 air leak(drawin air was my answer throughout)
    restricted airflow rather than overfuelin
    anyway i am just a jak o no trades so apologies
    maybe u can enlighten me
    anyway wot do u guys think o piggyback type efi on top o cis
    ie.two sets o injectors, the efi ones being programmed to compliment the character o the cis
    and thus ensure optimum a/f ratio
    i also have this crazy idea of havin two airboxes/meterin heads, so piston 1 and 3/2 and four respectively have seperate metering. coupled wi the ke-jet lambda sensors-x2
    i just thought this would help balance and be slightly more sequential yet still mechanical and proggressive!
    couple this wi a fuel rail and secondary efi injectors to iron out any peaks or troughs.
    does this mak any sort o sense atoll
    please feel free to call me an idiot as i cant put this idea to bed until sum1 blows it out or i try it and feel like a retard afterwards- if its daft, i would rather sum1 just said
    its not that i think it would b ultimate, just i feel it may work
    which would be satisffaction indeed

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

well thats almost how k-star works, it modifies the ignition map and there is a version which comes with an extra fuel injector to allow you to also tweak the fuelling.

your solution sounds fun but it would be a lot of work to achieve with any success, with the advances in EFI its not really worth the bother. ABF managment is very good and uses sequential injection, plus you now have megasquirt which is infinitely adjustible :thumbup:

17. jamesa Forum Junkie

AFR info - 2.0l 9A Kjet

268 / 276 ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  18. Nige

Glad you found it useful. :thumbup:

I`d say the spray pattern on No 3 especially, but no2 to a lesser degree isn`t perfect. perhaps some injector cleaner may help?

I didn`t take a photo,but the new injectors I borrowed had a lovely, even, cone shaped spray.

As you say, a LOT of petrol comes out in a minute doesn`t it !

James, thats a different AFR curve for a K-Jet isn`t it ? Is the metering head standard ? Looks to be spot on at high revs, doesn`t keep increasing at the top end.

19. jamesa Forum Junkie

MH is standard, modified airbox with JR panel filter, modified WUR

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009