My Mars Red Mk1 - Thread REBOOT- P82

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by vw_singh, May 5, 2008.

1. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Cheers mate.

I'm hoping in the next month or two.

Gurds

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Trackdays Brands Hatch VW Heritage 30th Birthday

I attended the VW Heritage Brands Hatch day in the past and have had a blast and some of you may remember the fun I had chasing beetles, squashed and full height back in 2012. Here is a Video from back then in all it's NA ABF glory.

[video=youtube;kllTdrIY4PA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kllTdrIY4PA&t[/video]

Now I returned to Brands Hatch without ball joint extensions so would be interesting to see how the car behaved. I also had a new set of tyres to try out. Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R. These are the control tyre for timeattack-uk and come factory on a number of supercars including the Maclaren P1. Gotta be worth a whirl no?

The profile is certainly a lot taller than the 225-45-15 I currently run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interesting tread pattern too.

[​IMG]

And they fill the arches up. Very tight.

[​IMG]

Ok, so with that done, we headed out to Brands Hatch. I met Ken Lark from the Bilstein Classic VW Cup there too who was out in his silver Frazero built Corrado VR6. Very nice chap!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And on to some lapping!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What did I think? Well I definitely miss the ball joint extensions. Can't wait to have them back in. The tyres have a softer sidewall that the other R tyres I've run so dulls the turn in a touch but overall grip is very high. They take a bit of effort to warm them up but work better from cold than DZ03G if that makes sense. The rear end is more mobile than usual though even after a few laps.

Here is a video of some laps that day.

[video=youtube;QC31ZYm5kjU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC31ZYm5kjU&t[/video]

All in all a good day out!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    notenoughtime and Yoof like this.
  3. AjVR Forum Member

What was the difference in feel without the extensions - more body roll?

4. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Theye do affect body roll aso you say but when the suspension has high spring rates, then there is is also an increase in steering angle and a less precise turn in without them.

5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I don't know if you want to discuss power figures, but I presume you already had 300ish bhp? What drove the desire for the new turbo Gurdip?

6. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Hi Tristan,

I managed to peak about 360bhp but never ran it like that on circuit. 300bhp is about right for what I tracked with.

I had no real plan to upgrade the turbo at all, it's just that a deal was struck for the right price leaving me with an opportunity to try something new. Having experienced the EFR 6258 in Rambow's mk2, it exceeded the performance of my garret in every way including response and lag and being direct fit made the choice easy.

Gurds

7. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Hey Gurds,

What's happening with Rambows car ?

8. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Hi Mike,

Rambow's car is hibernating. With Rambow finishing off his masters and then getting married, the car wasn't top of his list. He will be back though.

Meanwhile I've been busy, will update once bits are fitted.

Gurds

9. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Mans got his priorities all wrong. I shall have words when I see him next lol is he coming to Curbs?

Look forward to seeing progress reports. One thing it's about time a you fit a proper fire extinguisher system. Too much time and money invested !

10. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Haha! Give him time.....

Funny that, fire extinguisher system was on my shortlist. Recommend a system?

11. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Hats off to Rambow for doing a masters, plenty of time to play with cars :thumbup::thumbup:

I've always had lifeline Zero 2000 systems and thankfully never had to use it. In the MK3 I have a electric dual chamber one. So it deposits in the cockpit as well as the engine bay. Slightly OTT but you never know! Just upgrading the control box on it at the moment.

All you need is a 2.25ltr extinguisher, engine only one with twin nozzles and there are 2 options. Mechanical or electrical. Price difference is 100-200 so budget depending. Personally I prefer electrical and what I'm planning for my MK1 later this year. Just a better system and doesn't rely on a cable pulling a lever to operate it. After time they can seize and snap due to them never being used, I had one snap off in my hand once and Marshalls can be a bit eager at times.

The electrical one is a Simple press button, and when pressed it instantly discharges once the system is armed. So you probably gain a second or two and more reliable. I'd recommend the electrical system if you can afford to stretch to it. But still a mechanical one is better than nothing and still do the job. As they say, the only thing In Motorsport you buy but hope you never have to use it :thumbup:

Both are easy to instal. Couple of links from demon theives.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motor...hal-mechanical-2-25-ltr-fire-extinguisher-kit

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motor...lectric-saloon-2-25-ltr-fire-extinguisher-kit

12. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

13. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Bought the electrical one in the second link myself for the Audi Quattro build I did years ago

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  14. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

You probably don't need a 4.25ltr one just more weight, they are more suited to tradional V6 and V8 engines with 2 fuel rails, 2 exhaust manifolds and 2 sets of injectors. But for that price it's pretty good.

But more to clean up if it ever goes off! Seen one set off by accident in the holding area before a race once. Driver was not happy lol

15. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Don't get on here much now, busy, busy Lol.

Just popped in to say that I purchased one of JJC's 2.25ltr manual systems a few weeks ago for Fishy, the rally car. Tidy kit for the price, included everything you need. Was out of stock for a week or so, but back in now.

JJC are owned by the same guys as Demon Tweeks if you look in to the directors etc., so access to good deals.

I thoughts about the bigger bottle but they are heavy, too heavy for a hillclimbing anyway, so thought the smaller one should be fine. Give the marshals a head start if the worse happened.

16. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Hahaha! I'll remember to keep you at arms length from the trigger!

Thank you both! I appreciate your input as it'll be the first time I fit one. I was more concerned at the capacity and being able to douse a fire completely.

Gurds

17. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Exhausting pipe dreams

I've always entrusted the Exhaust side of things with Style Dynamics in my local area as they offer a bespoke exhaust building service with a lifetime guarantee. Also being VW enthusiasts and general car guys means they have always looked after my needs. When I had the exhaust built during the initial turbo installation, the rear section over the axle and the back box had to be reduced down to 2.5" from the 3" run down from the turbo. This has always had a slight impact on the top end when turning up the boost but it was manageable. But with the larger turbo going on with a much higher potential, the need to be 3" all the way through was very important. Custom exhausts don't come cheap and with my power tool collection having grown, I decided to tackle the upgrades myself.

So I ordered in some mandrel bends, pipe, silencers and some 3" v-band clamp kits. My existing system only had a single rear silencer but with the step in up size meaning an inevitable increase in noise, I decided to squeeze in a rather long 24" silencer along the middle along with a new rear silencer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First off I tackled the downpipe. As the new turbo has a v-band hotside, the downpipe would need the old Garrett style flange cut off. Cutting and piecing together bends can be a tricky business and if you don't cut across the diameter of the pipe, the different sections won't line up well. So to make life simpler I made a jig for my metal chop saw. I got the idea from >>>>>>>Project Binky<<<<<< where they show something similar.

This is the Project Binky jig. The radius of the bend matches the I.D of the mandrel bends. When rotating the bends, they always line up with the diameter inline with the chop saw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My home made effort is a little more raw but it worked a treat!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cut up sections and played around till I was happy. This was eventually tacked up and then welded. As you can see the cut sections lined up very neatly making welding very easy with no nasty lips inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All welded up.

[​IMG]

With the downpipe done, attention moved onto building the rest of the system. I wanted the replacement system to look like the old system so I dtarted by fitting the tailpipe to the rear silencer.

[​IMG]

The centre section was cut down and the mid silencer positioned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I lined up the rear silencer and proceeded to work on what would be the trickiest section the over axle part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With much pain and effort, I eventually got there. Again the chop saw and jig paid huge dividends in cutting up the various sections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The v-bands were placed in such a way that allows all sections to be removed without having to take anything else out.

The area over the axle runs very close to the fuel tank on a mk1 golf which has a factory heat shield. This heat shield takes up a lot of space so I removed it to investigate. The rubber grommets on the shield offset it from the tank by around 10mm. Removal means I gain the space for the exhaust over the axle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just leaving the tank unprotected from the exhaust would be asking for trouble so I stuck some heat reflective matting to the tank in the shields place. This matting is good to reflect up to 1500*F so will be more than up to the job. For a belt and braces approach, that section of exhaust will also be heat wrapped.

[​IMG]

With everything lined up I welded it all up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While welding the hangers, I fab'd and added an extra mount to ensure that the system is kept in place. It uses a Ford mount which looks to be rather chunky and durable. It restricts movements vertically in both directions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All fitted for a final check.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last job was to add a front downpipe brace and weld in the lambda boss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a very involved but satisfying job. I am quite pleased with the outcome and hope it will serve me well.

Gurds

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  18. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

That's great work. Many hour invested there! Is heat an issue Gurds? Ever considered thermal coating?

vw_singh likes this.
  19. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Very nice work. I'd be super proud of that!

Are you going to be cutting the tail pipe down a bit?

vw_singh likes this.
  20. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Hey Tris, TBH it's still manageable so not considered coatings. A few well placed heat shields and wrap does the trick.

Thank's Sam. I wasn't planning on cutting it down really. Do you think it sticks out too much?