need to beat type r's

Discussion in '16-valve' started by 85mk2golf1.3, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Chaps Forum Member

I've just bought a DC2 Type R. Its a fab bit of kit, the grip in it is superb, especially when the LSD kicks in. When in V-Tec it really does shift too.. Compared to the EP3 its a different beast - The EP3 has abit more power but arn't as good round corners (thats taken from honda forums, not just my say) and in a straight line there prob very similar due to the weight difference.. Yeah, off cam it is a little gutless in the ft/lb department, but its not really that bad. Realistically though, when your wanting to have a bit of a play with somebody you dont really change up unless you your near that 9000rpm limit - I know whoever would be driving the mk2 would be taking it to the limit.

I've had a few mk2's in different guises - Non ABF'd tho, but I would be more than happy if a Mk2 surprised me. I'd actually stop and congratulate him for having a seriously well set up motor!

Out of the bag, its a comfy, reliable and fast car for the money (3k) and there aint alot of other cars you'd get this performance from unless your buying many upgraded parts.

Honda forums are Cack tho, they are all cheese heads... Seriously!! [:x]

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Mind you our EP series Euro Civic TR is not exactly the same, at least in engine spec as the JDM versions.
    You are right a virtually stock ITR is quite a sorted vehicle. No torque? do not need loads when your overall gearbox ratios are shorter than a VW 020 with a 4.25 FD!

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Eddie does your car beat Type R's? :thumbup::thumbup::lol:

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Which car and which Type R? Beat as in a track race or something?

5. mk2bal Forum Member

Teg's are pretty awesome, but I couldn't buy one. There's nothin you can do to them!!(To really improve it)and don't say turbo or s/c because it changes the characteristics and you should buy sumfin turbo in 1st place.. At least my mk2 feels majorly improved and impressive,its gone from 1.3 to abf so I'm happy with it. I know a teg may still beat it, but they're limited as well. For 3 grand I'd find something with a turbo, ie a mk4 and tune it - then it'll ruin a teg. Went to a peterborough honda/vag meet a few months ago in my mates dc2, following loads more dc2s + dc5's etc, and overtaking other cars on the way was a bit embarrasing, doing 9krpm, screaming in a huge convoy, but not exactly shooting past.if it made that noise and went like a ferrari I'd say fair enough, but when your creeping past cars it was a bit sad!! That's my ONLY gripe with a teg tho....

6. Southy_GTI Forum Member

Theres loads of aftermarket bits for the B-series, they can be tuned up on a budget if desired.

The Euro EP3 was compromised in several areas (compaired to the JDM model) the most serious of which:

* Skinny rear sway bar
    * No LSD
    * Less compression and less duration on the VTEC cams

A stripped out and K-swapped DC2 is a serious racing car:
    http://www.vtecchallenge.co.uk/
    This year sees the start of a new series dedicated to real N/A motors, (unlike the btcc) should be fun!

7. mk2bal Forum Member

My mates on his 2nd uk dc2, his last one was jdm. I didn't really know there were any performance differences.. Spoon sports backbox with bung removed is a winner. Raspy stealthy pea shooter. To be fair that made a difference when he binned the powerflop in favour of the spoon.. The new uk has teins, upper lower front and rear braces, even some weird stiffening thing that bolts up to the master cylinder to stop flexing?full 5zigen exhaust and air intake, loadsa little parts everywhere, and it feels no quicker than the one he had with just a spoon b/box.. Milano red is nice as well as its a bit rarer

8. Southy_GTI Forum Member

The stiffening thingy is a brake stopper:)

Thats the single biggest mistake people make, not buying an adjustable ECU 1st! I bet hes running leaner than Paula Radcliffe[xx(]

9. mk2bal Forum Member

Yeah good shout it probably needs setting up..what's the brake stopper do then?

10. Southy_GTI Forum Member

11. Chaps Forum Member

Are you taking the ****? Please enlighten me as to what your tuning methods would be to get a Mk4 which would Ruin a teg for under 3k.. :p

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

depends on what you want.

my mk4 does horrible things to ep3 civic Rs, even 3 up vs 1 up, the mk4 was still ahead at 120 when we backed off.

show the cars a corner and id rather be in the mk3 thanks ;)

mk4 has no hope at all in corners

13. mk2bal Forum Member

1500 for a mk4 then the rest to spend on a k04? Even a chipped mk4 would giv a teg a good go. Maybe not round corners...

14. Southy_GTI Forum Member

This is back to the age old modified vs stock fallacy

Infact this is worse as your comparing N/A to Forced induction.

9psi of boost through a K20 is 290 - 310 bhp (depending on header and exhaust etc)

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

im comparing a standard car to one which has had different software, hardly huge changes

> 9psi of boost through a K20 is 290 - 310 bhp (depending on header and exhaust etc)

hardly a simple job i bet

16. chrismc Forum Junkie

I loved my UK DC2 & will have another one day;)

Very similar straight line performance to a well sorted 2L 16v mk2 (as standard). Better handling by far & better aerodynamics/stability at speed. They don't go wrong either unlike mk2s

My ITR made 196BHP/135lbs/ft on a DD dyno with fundamental tweaks- mugen airbox/exhaust, 98 spec manifold & remapped ECU.

Revved to a true 8700rpm too. Stock ITRs "only" rev to 8400 even if the rev counter claims it's 9K;)[:$]

Yes they need revving- but that's the fun. Anyone who finds it a chore has bought the wrong car. Hugely fun and impressive on track as standard too....

Later Civic EP3s & them things with the triangular exhausts are not in the same league quite frankly.....

17. Southy_GTI Forum Member

The K is a better motor but the DC and EK are a better chassis. If I had the time to swap my 258hp/175lbft motor into a DC that would be a serious track car.

Jackson racing bolt-on super charger, its as simple as it gets really.

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

bet it costs more than 250 and i bet you have to use spanners to fit it. standard ecu software too?

19. chrismc Forum Junkie

JR chargers on a B-series are a bit of a ticking time bomb...relatively straightforward to achieve 240BHP though. I drove a friends and it moved performance into a new league.

Trouble is with all the heat & a lack of intercooler/chargecooler the map has to be sympathetic as heat soak is a major issue

The car I drove ended up holing a piston at a later date & he then swapped out the B-series for a tweaked K. Peak Power is very comparable to the charged B- but delivery is a bit different no doubt. Waiting to have a go in that still...

As Southy says, the K is a better motor- hindered by some lukewarm chassis' when compared to a DC2 ITR or Civic EK9.

For me a performance Honda really should be an N/A screamer. Will go on all day everyday in that guise;)

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Probably worth mentioning that to Team Dynamics with their less-than-fully-functional 2011 turboed BTCC motor :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]