need to beat type r's

Discussion in '16-valve' started by 85mk2golf1.3, Jan 3, 2009.

1. TrackCab16v Forum Member

i hav had a few outing,s with hondas s 2000 on track , but its the look on ther face,s in the pits that does it for me:lol: :lol: . i will ask ftymike if he can bring a vid clip up;)

2. NIK

Nik New Member

Ive also noticed over the years that TypeR drivers think theyr cars are the fastest and most of the "will my car beat this" threads ive seen over the forums include a TypeR.
    Are TypeRs as benchmark for power etc??

My mate with the DC2 was in my old XE Corsa and i wasnt driving it hard.He got the Teg and was blabbing to his cousin that it would take my Corsa on acceleration/top end etc.To his amazement(and mine) he got his **** handed to him with ease a few times.

And on another occasion when i had my Pulsar(running a dyno proven 313bhp) some pretty boy and his blonde GF pulled up at the lights and stared over at me and my mate.I was pretty well oiled at the time and normally wouldnt have let my mate go for it but he was driving so his problem if he got caught.Looked over at the CTR driver and said to Damon,if he goes for it,so do we.Lights changed to green,typeR owner went for it with some high revs launch,off we go.1st gear was over before we knew it,into 2nd bye bye big time,3rd gear and he was a dot in the mirror.
    He stopped off and so did we.The grin on his and his GF's face was a picture.
    His 1st reply was "what the fuk is in that"...."2.0 turbo running over 300bhp through all 4 wheels,fancy another go".Erm no chance,ive never seen anything pull away so quick.Put him right in his place.

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^^ what was he expecting?? odd he didn't know what a pulsar is...

DC2's arn't the quickest cars, lots out there faster but few match it imo... Remember when I was 15, my school mate's mum who was fit as you like had one - white with Red interior and lairy exhaust. She used to come and pick him up from youth club (ha ha) and absolutely scream off into the distance... had a drive in one about 4 years ago and fell in love with it

4. thetrash New Member

If the ITR was lighter,more power and an LSD over the corsa it will be quicker, your mate must be driving like a granny.

Street racing, eh! what did you expect with a 313bhp 4wd car over a very probably standard 200bhp fwd car doing a standing start?

I could tell stories of supercharged hondas owning lots of other cars with less power or more weight but what does it prove? Nothing, other than the rules of physics are true...

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

That sounds familar ^^ I was left for dead by a black pulsar near J11 of the M4 a couple of years ago - I was in an old 911 Carrera 3.0 - I remember thinking 'that's not the standard 220 bhp (or whatever the stock power is)'.

6. NIK

Nik New Member

I wasnt driving,and i dont do street racing.I knew what the outcome would be,the CTR owner didnt.You really think i was going to let him think that his super-fast CTR could stand a chance,i dont think so. The DC2 maybe has more power,an LSD,and is a tad lighter,but with less TORQUE to pull the car,it isnt going to be quicker,or pull away.BHP sells cars,TORQUE wins races.And i dont see how its possible to drive like a granny on an open road,screeming the tits out the car for every last bit of power.

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my brother had a 93 civic with a 1.6 sohc vetakk. his was stripped with a couple mods. basically in a straight line there was almost no difference in 1st and 2nd at all. it was only at the top of 3rd that mine would pull slightly

vetaks are great

8. thetrash New Member

Lol!

you think?

Lorries have a shed load more torque than cars do so how come they are not faster? Torque is a meaningless figure without BHP because you can't see how fast the work is being done without it.

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

errrrr right

lorries are slow, weighing 7-8 tons holds them back, they weigh almost as much as a mk3 with air con

you should try and line up with a lorry without trailer... my money says youll come off short changed ;)

10. Benjo Forum Member

I believe the term you were looking for is P = T x omega, where omega (lower case) = (2 x Pi)/t

Lorries rev low but produce massive torque because it's RPM that kills engines, not power. Consequently the area under the curve is still massive.
    That's why diesels always have much longer gearing than their equivalently sized petrol brethren.

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

[pretending to be smart] yeash i totally agree[/pretending to be smart]

12. SirGeekalot Forum Member

got my ass handed to me when my sis's BF was driving his lorry home one day, i'd dropped him off and was driving his boxster s home for him.. thought i'd have some fun.. didn't realise those things could wheel spin so much. :(

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

torque winning races again?

14. Pricie Forum Junkie

Never underestimate the Pulsar..... :lol: ;)

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

how is yours behaving? ive not seen you in months fella

16. lufbramatt Forum Member

went to watch the lorry racing at brands a few years back- 6-ton tractor units, 2 stage turbos develping 1200bhp, water cooled drum brakes on the front (massive plumes of steam!), running the front wheels up the grass verges to keep the tyres cool on the straights, insane good fun to watch [:D]

should be on telly in place of F1 tbh

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

compound charged or something with insane boost, many many bars of boost

those will decimate all, even without overnight parts from japan.

18. azur Forum Member

Power (BHP) = Torque (FT lbs) x Distance per minute (RPM) / 5252

power is energy and an expression of the rate at which an engine undertakes its work...the more power, the more work that an engine can ultimately undertake.

For work to take place there must be movement involved. Torque is a twisting force about an axis of rotation and work can be defined as the product of this force x the distance moved, in this case RPM.

So lots of torque relative to power will mean that the engine will achieve its total work quickly at very low revs, but the engine will be very strong.

For example, a powerful tractor is around 200 hp. However, as they have a large cylinder volume with large bore and stroke, they create shed loads of torque. So a 200 hp tractor could have 850 nm of torque and all the power would be at low revs, typically 1500-1900.

gearing is important to make sure the tractor always falls into this power band.. hence they have lots of gears. ie 18 F/R

TDI's are examples of this too, with more torque than power producing the short power band relatively low down the revs.. which is why they commonly have 6 speed gear boxes.

Lots of power relative to torque will mean that the engine can undertake a lot of work but it will take longer to achieve this work, and it will be achieved at higher revs.

A civic type R has 197bhp at around 7200rpm and 196 nm (145 ft lbs) of torque
    (145 x 7200 / 5252 = ~198) so its takes longer (more RPM) to get its it work done. Again, gearing is important to help keep the the engine in the high rev "v-tec" power band

And ideal engine will have equal amounts of power and torque (in BHP and ft lbs)
    So an engine with 150 bhp and 150 ft lbs of torque ie.. 1:1 ratio, will produce this power and torque at 5252 revs, and the area below the power line on a graph would be perfectly matched.

Power (BHP) = Torque (FT lbs) x Distance per minute (RPM) / 5252... This equation is also how rolling roads work, as they measure the resistance on the rollers in torque as the revs run down from maximum, and calculate the bhp at the wheels and infer it back

Thats why rolling road results have to be taken with a pinch of salt, as amount of slip on the rollers, weather conditions and most importantly... the gear used.. effects the results.

Ie... if 2nd gear is used there would be more torque than if 4th were used [:D]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  19. Benjo Forum Member

Mixing SI & imperial. Very naughty! That Nm should be ft-lbs..

So, for the benefit of anyone who's just skimmed the thread, is that in order to beat a honda civic type R with a golf, you need to fit a Nissan pulsar driveline, & bolt a big diesel truck engine to it. Job done.

So what's the next 'big issue' we've got to solve...?![:D]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  20. azur Forum Member

:p

Noticed as i read through my own work