need to beat type r's

Discussion in '16-valve' started by 85mk2golf1.3, Jan 3, 2009.

1. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

agree with the above comment, my mates got a type-r and im not going to say its not a quick car but my 165bhp mk2 can keep up with it and handle better on flat roads. We'v driven each others cars a couple of times and he was amazed at how well the golf just picked up and went off the line, and i was suprised at how well a type-r goes when the vtec kicked in. But as its been stated he is sat in his car with the stereo on, feck all engine noise and got the option of a nice cool aircon, while im sat in my tin can with absolutly nothing init apart from one seat, a dash and a wheel! Im trying to get him to do a airfield trackday with me so we can have some proper fun.

2. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Thing is, in a nicely trimmed mk2 with some good suspension uprgrades and a good 225bhp 1.8t running std management, chances are you'd blow away a Civic Type R and be in a good level of comfort and sound..

All revelvant I suppose..

3. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

A 1.8t is the way to go if you want to beat type-rs in full trim enlese you have a big budget for a 16v screamer. The beatiful thing about my car is that it cost me less than 1200 to build and it doesnt just go like a type r but stops and corners very well too :thumbup: I admit that its no looker as far as mk2s go but its built for a purpose that it does well.

4. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

5. azur Forum Member

i don't even see why you would need that much? Civic has a power to weight ratio of around 165 per ton and only 145 ft lbs of torque. A MK2 16v(Power to weight ratio ~140 standard) bored out to 1.9 or with a 2.0l bottom end, shrick 268/276 cams, flowed head and modified WUR and well fixed for suspension and breathing could see 175+ (1.9) or 190+ (2.0L) That gives you power to weight ratios of 175 and 190 and would probably have more torque.

TSR should be able to do that sort of work at a reasonable price and your still looking at cheaper than a Good civic type R

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

like toyotec has done. c.260bhp from memory with an ABF turbo, full interior with all the trimmings. i recon that thing would give a civic one hell of a headache

7. BG16v Paid Member Paid Member

but a mk2 comes in at about 1100 kilos so the power to weight weight is going to be less than the figs you quoted? What does a TYPE-R weigh?

My Mk2 is ABF powered running on emerald and produces 164bhp. I have 'raced' two type Rs and on both occasions they kept up but could not pass me on fairly long straights. Whether they were trying to is another matter but we got up to about 110 so I would imagine they were..

One of them also flashed me as he turned off..

8. azur Forum Member

its quite hard finding weights for the mk2 16v. I think that last versions were probably closer too 1100 kilos like you say... as they were better equiped than the earlier models and had more trim. (big bumper). The earlier ones were only just over a ton though.

Trying to find some mk2's near me to get them on the farm weighbridge.

The constant figure i found for the type R is 1204 kg.

Only 164 from the ABF? pretty sure with chipped digifant and some other simple(ish) mods you should see more than that. Mine was 155 out of the box. It is one of the last mk3's produced though... and ibiza's from the same period put out around that.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  9. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

On our corner weights. Our 750 mc race car weighs 1000kgs with no ballast.. so a road car would be closer to 1100-1150kgs.. easily..

10. azur Forum Member

im talking kerb weights. Thats no fuel/driver etc. ready for the road you can add about 40 kg for 50litres of fuel, 75kg for the average driver and another 2kg for the pasties he ate at lunch :o

VW states my 5 dr Mk3 is 1265 ready for the road. So minus 75kg driver... 45 kg fuel /screenwash your looking at ~1140 kg kerb weight which sounds spot on.

11. thetrash New Member

As if!

DC2s are weapons in the right hands go to a track and see if your corsa will keep up, I think not.

This is all horses for courses though. I bought a 16v as a run about after owning a CTR and the CTR is better in everyway. the gearchange is supersmooth, the gearing really helps the top end, the cornering is much better when comparing standard with standard.

Now if you start talking about modding both cars than the honda really starts to shine, bolt a supercharger on and they fly. You don't need to make any changes to the engine internals and can end up ultimatly with 400bhp before you need to start building the engine.

Old VWs are great, so enjoy them for what they are.

12. BG16v Paid Member Paid Member

i was dissapointed with 164 myself but the engine is relatively fresh (70k) and that was dyno'd at emerald rather than some more 'favourable' rolling roads.

what other simple (ish) mods are you talking about?

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

rolling roads are rubbish for getting an accurate idea of bhp anyway.

as long as the torque plot looks good and its making good torque its all good

14. BG16v Paid Member Paid Member

138 lb/ft.. is that reasonable for the spec?

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

sounds about right, the maximum ive seen would be 140-145lbft on a RR before.

with my own it starts at about 130lbtf @ c.2000rpm, then then ramps up continually to 6000rpm when its at 145lbft.

mine is in a mk3 on digi3.2

a guy was there with an ABF on kjet, his torque was similar, but it levelled off at about 5krpm then started to fall slowly. his made about 160bhp

what inlet manifold are you on?

16. 87 UMN

87 UMN Forum Member

i personally think its the driver........i seen and done some crazy/lovely things when driving and laughing as your over taking or i mean undertaking around a corner a type r with a dude thinking he's cool with his girlfriend smiling looking at him being beaten by a mk1 abf on 3 wheels........smiles all round and joys of fun....newer cars arnt as fun as the old ones prob coz you think if you bin a 500 car rather than a 5000 car you wouldnt be as mad........its all fun i think!!!!!! whole point of a hobby

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my car is only worth a few hundred but id be gutted if i binned it cos of the time etc invested in it. it has sentimental value :p

18. NIK

Nik New Member

Yep,on track,in the right hands,it would be a different story.Thats why the DC2 is known as the best handling FWD car ever made.
    My mate had his DC2 on track on out of the 4-5 sessions he done,he only passed 1 car and at that it was a struggle.Probably down to the fact he cant drive it good(on track) and it was his 1st ever track-day.
    Out on the road against my Mk3 ABF,he rinses me.Between 80-110,theyr was nothing in it,after that,he was gone.

19. BG16v Paid Member Paid Member

standard ABF I believe.. not too clued to be honest!

20. 87 UMN

87 UMN Forum Member

id be gutted to matt to be honest, but yu see where im coming from the car is as good as the driver. as stated by nik above