Oil breather catch tanks? what you got?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by altern8, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

interesting stuff, I hope all this is equally applicable to a 1.6 carbed engine? im sick of degunking my airbox thermostat and cleaning my k&n! [:x]

Just out of interest, if anyone has done this on the driver engine, what did you blank the hole up with on the airbox? Or would it be ok to leave it open, maybe a little warm air coming in would help prevent carb icing?

2. neil kaye Forum Junkie

sorry for threadjack altern8,i think EZ Pete has the best idea then fit one and see what /if anything comes out and if alls well disconect it
    thanks m7r and john for the info

3. jamesa Forum Junkie

The air from the block breather is warm - don`t leave it open - take a return from the tank / bottle back to the airbox - slight vacuum helps

4. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Ah, so is this why when I look at the funky/shiny oil breather catch tanks on ebay they have 2 feeds off of the catch tank? One of the feeds comes from (on my 1.6 carb) the rocker cover (and normally goes to the airbox) and the return feed (2nd exit on the catch tank) is to feed back upto my airbox?

It might sound stupid, but is it worth it if I'm still feeding it back upto the airbox?! I suppose it does catch all the gunk, but allows the warm air/fumes etc to go into the engine as normal?

For 30 i may have a look at one of these ebay jobbies, some of them have what looks like an airfilter on the top, are these better to get, or just a tank?

5. F2 Stu Forum Member

6. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

venting to atmos is the best for power, BUT its technically not road legal...so it could a be a slap wrist and a MOT fail if the MOT guy is on the ball. if you do vent to atmos use a filter!!

the main bad bit of the oil breather is the oil vapour, the catch can removes this (well most of it) the warm air and the small amount of fumes from the hot oil are no real worry to peformance.

and yes it will work on pretty much any car! some stuff needs the breather plumbing back in once its been through the catch can (my mates astra will not run with the breather vented to atmos due to the ecu throwing a wobbly) but note if you dont have a ecu you will need to check the mixture as it will now be running a little rich, more so if the breather is vented to atmos and the old inlet blocked off.

7. neil kaye Forum Junkie

iv seen those little filters there about a tenner,theres on on top of the catch in post 25,iv thort of doing this myself but worried the smell in the car as the vapor farts into the atmosphere and seeps thru the air vents,so i may go for the catch with a return to the airbox,tar for the info

8. altern8 Forum Junkie

no worries mods feel free to move it to the engine section:thumbup:

9. neil kaye Forum Junkie

10. altern8 Forum Junkie

good stuff

11. azur Forum Member

[​IMG]

You can buy in-line filters like these pipercross ones. They are road legal as nothing is vented to the atmosphere and wont mess up the ECU... and you can clean them pretty easily

Think im going to invest in one as im sick of cleaning my TB and inlet mani of oily gunk.

12. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I would rather have a catch can, as that wont properly seperate the oil from the air when its hot, and what it does stop where will it go? also what about if theres a fair bit of mayo?

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i think my tank is slightly full at the moment. im sure i could hear it bubbling. mine seems to collect a lot of water/condensation

best empty that at the weekend

my catch tank will be reconnected to my airbox soon which should hopefully reduce the condensations

14. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

You can just see mine in the back ground of this photo, 1ltr bottle with sealed lid mounted upside down. The top has 4 20mm vent holes in it and the old screw off cap lets me drain it.

[​IMG]

15. neil kaye Forum Junkie

so what would you guys suggest is best
    catch tank back to airbox
    or
    catch tank to atmos

16. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

ditto

17. lufbramatt Forum Member

saw acool pic yesterday, a guy using a air line oil trap plumbed into the breather on his G60 then vented via a little filter. looks like an idea thing to use as they have a drain nipple on the bottom.

18. monzablue16v New Member

Thats a cracking idea :)

19. lufbramatt Forum Member

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my breather, this weekend, is hopefully going to be heading back to my airbox after the catch tank

for some reason i like the idea of a slight crank case vacuum.