Oil breather catch tanks? what you got?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by altern8, Jan 10, 2009.

1. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

This is the same set up as I started with when I built my car 18 months ago, thought it would work well, got some proper funny looks when people first saw it, after a couple of trackdays I found that it couldn't really cope so i changed to the bottle shown in my previous pic.

This is how mine was set up.

[​IMG]

2. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Nice setup, where did you get the blanking plate from?

3. neil kaye Forum Junkie

any particular reason why you prefere this way as opposed to venting to atmos

4. vipra New Member

I will make a catch can
    i want to ask
    when i make it should there be a baffle or not inside of the cath can
    Are there some kind of baffle inside the cathc tank ?

outside will be like this
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/sideways16/ABF/OilTankAfter.jpg

what is the structure inside the catch can ?
    can you give some pics scheme please

Thanks

5. andydavy New Member

Thanks, I bought the block off plate it from Bahn Brenner Motorsport whilst I was working in the U.S and added an NPT to 8AN adapter to it. I'm not sure who sells them in the UK, maybe G-Werks as they distribute for BBM I think.

Sorry to go OT, but as Brookster asked a few posts ago. The engine is a KR block with 9A internals and running Megasquirt with Ford EDIS for the ignition, a BBM fuel rail and the head is gas flowed too with standard KR cams. I have no idea of power as it's not been rolling roaded properly, due to my (now scrapped) previous cylinder head being a real pain. There's a bit more info over at the Corrado forum for anyone who's interested, although I've not updated it in a while. Clicky Clicky

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  6. jamesa Forum Junkie

To airbox ... as that best follows the original design

andydavy

Have you not reduced the block breathing by fitting a smaller offtake, is there not a chance of the block running at a higher pressure than design ?

7. andydavy New Member

To be honest, I did think to myself when I fitted the block off plate that the hole for breathing seemed to be rather small. I'd agree, it probably does run at a slightly higher pressure than before, but so far it's been fine, it just gurgles away!

8. jamesa Forum Junkie

Thanks

Are you getting any oil mist from the filler cap ?

9. andydavy New Member

No, I haven't seen any oil mist from the filler cap. I have come across some people who have added an additional breather to the head by fitting one off a new beetle.

10. jamesa Forum Junkie

Reason for asking is that before I fitted my `catch tank` I used to get a mist from the filler cap. Found that by running a lower sump oil level (50% rather than 100%) it almost disappeared.

Now with the lower oil level and a `catch tank` the mist is no more.

11. andydavy New Member

To get any kind of mist from the filler cap I'd have thought that either it wasn't sealing properly or you had a seriously blocked block breather, or a combination of the two.

It sounds like something is amiss though if you have to run the oil level lower than normal.

12. jamesa Forum Junkie

Same mist with a new cap, engine is quite well modified (Schrick 276 / 268) and revs to 7800rpm - clean breather system.

Can only assume that:

Higher lift cam directly below the cap plus higher revs = mist ?

Not sure why lower oil level helps as any reduced crank `pick up` and foaming would only affect the breather ?

Anyhow .. performance is unaffected.

13. altern8 Forum Junkie

14. andydavy New Member

Yup, that's exactly what I have. The brass fitting is 1/2" NPT if anyone's curious.

15. Dono Forum Member

Ive just done an auto solo on sunday. I have a small filter on the rocker cover, on 1 point of the course it was a ful lock around a right hand bend round about twice. When i finished the course i had smoke bellowing out of the bonnet. The oil had come out of the breather filter, alover the exhaust manifold, and accross the bay to my washer bottle. I think ill make a tank for next time, anybody else had this problem?

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

why is an atmos one better for power?

17. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Because you're not pumping oil fumes into the inlet, so the oxygen levels are higher. More oxygen = more efficient running = more power :thumbup:

The difference is, however, absolutely minimal, unless you've got a massive amount of fumes.

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

but, i had been reading about crank case vacuum, basically a vacuum in the crank case is meant to get the rings to seal more effectively, reducing blow by and improving the power stroke, which in effect could cancel out or negate the powerloss due to the engine intaking the blow by gas.

a crank case vacuum also helps stupid engines like mine keep the oil in! (oil leaks now cured, bell housing dry for the first time ever)

19. judderi Forum Member

If fitting a catch tank to a 16v kr do you need to block the airbox hole or the little hole on the inlet manifold? Also how do you go about reducing the big hole of the breather down to something that you can connect to a catch tank?

Whats the best height to mount one?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  20. davefromhull Forum Member

Good question Id like to know the answer to this...