Oil breather catch tanks? what you got?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by altern8, Jan 10, 2009.

1. judderi Forum Member

Well i went ahead and made a diy catch tank from a plastic beer bottle. I basicly blocked the airbox hole and small inlet hole. Then flipped the origional pipe downwards and cut it shorter. Then jubilee clipped the beer bottle to the hose. The bottle has 4 small holes round the top of the neck to allow it to breathe. Not sure on the results really. Have about an inch of oil in there so far and after a good thrash you can clearly see oil or exhaust vapours coming out of the holes. Is this to be expected? My car uses a **** load of oil if thats any help, always has done even before doin this.

2. mk28vICED Forum Member

sounds like your 'breathes heavy'.
    you could have alot of pressure in the crankcase due to worn piston rings. this is why you needed a catch can! not breather than ****e bk into engine now!
    im going to fit one in the next few weeks and vent to atmosphere via small oil breather.
    no-one actually know the amount of power lost by breathing in the oil mist and old combustion fumes, however as its the racecar i'll be able to tell whether it affects power depending on the amount of blow-by created. i heard at high load there is much less though so we shall see.
    some catch tanks have two inlets, one from rocker, one from engine block (blanked off on some engines like digi's), and a top outlet for the breather.
    im going to blank off the air inlet to the blower motor in the scuttle panel so fumes cant get in, and route the breather up there. ill post some pics when it happens.

3. Mondeo owner New Member

Lots of good info but now I'm confused.

How many breathers on the MK2 16v (KR?)?

I'm aware of the one from the rocker cover, the block (small outlet) and above the oil filter but not sure where else as someone mentioned the inlet manifold as well.

Also any guazes/filters I need to be cleaning?

I'm getting oil into the metering head, implying breathers working but also getting a few oil leaks implying excess pressure somewhere.

I'm also thinking a catch tank is a good idea but in theory these will only take two inputs?

Any help appreciated - especially photos and supplier recommendations!

Many Thanks

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  4. neil kaye Forum Junkie

one main breather pipe from the front middle of the block to the air box where the metering head sits and a spur off to the inlet manifold,the rest are vac pipes realy,most valvers have oil in the air box area from the piston rings being shot,causes too much pressure in the sump (blow by) and forces oil up the pipe

5. altern8 Forum Junkie

so pop bottle is the winners choice value for money :)

6. paultownsend Forum Member

i have a mk2 golf with a mk3 bottom end. it has the block breather that vents into the head pcv, then into the inlet boot.
    i know the pcv is there to vent excess pressure, but how would be the best way to mount the tank? and also would it be best to delete breathing back into the inlet?

7. J0HN30Y Forum Member

I think my valvers breathing a little heavy so I got a catch tank...

The oil was so bad it leaked down the back of my bumper and over the front of my splitter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not entirely sure what this does but it was full of oil

[​IMG]

New Tank mounted next to the light

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was going to make one but then saw this in a sale for 20 and couldn't turn it down, a little shiny for my liking ;)

Its only been on a couple of weeks so not gathered much, but it appears to be less smoking when planting it, might be in my head though

8. arnau Forum Member

oh, I found this post just when I was thinking about catch tanks :lol: :lol:

I have two (easy) questions, about KR engines:

1. what to do with the small inlet manifold hole?
    2. how many holes should there be, in the catch tank? I assume one for input (:clap: Yes I got to this conclusion myself :lol: ), but should the output hole go back to the airbox, or to a small filter??

where can I get a cheap catch tank from?

9. Ess Three Forum Member

Anyone using a New Beetle breather (the one that goes between the oil filler cap and the cam cover) on a 16v?

Just wondering if you are getting much mist/oil carry over, since it sits directly above a spinning cam lobe.

10. arnau Forum Member

emm

wouldn't oil fumes (ingested by the airbox...) be used for metering head lubrication!?!!!??!?!

11. J0HN30Y Forum Member

Didn't think of that arnau, haven't read anything about it. I don't think the catch tank I have will stop all of the oil fumes and it does circulate back to the airbox.

Not sure if u can make out in the pic below but I butchered the original hose near the bend up to the airbox and used the tubing supplied to re-reoute it to the tank and then used the rest of the tubing supplied to take it back to the airbox. So no need to do anything with the small hole as the orignal hose is still used. I'm no expert so if this is crazy then let me know! :thumbup:

My tank only had 1 input and 1 output, I have seen them with three though. I was lucky and got it off eBay while the supplier had a sale, its now gone back up to 31.00

[​IMG]

12. arnau Forum Member

hi, thanks for your pics. However I think it might be better to delete the breather pipe, wouldn't it?

anyway, where did you bot the tank on?

13. jamesa Forum Junkie

Why?

14. arnau Forum Member

hmm I don't like having one pipe connected to another. I think it would be nicer to have only a pipe

15. J0HN30Y Forum Member

You will need to reduce the diameter of the pipe from the block to the tank, I'm not aware of an off the shelf pipe so would potentially need reduces in there anyway. I'm on a budget so it made sense to use what came in the kit.

I mounted it near the drivers side light, under the slam panel, this pic shows it best. I guess if u mount it nearer the airbox then you could use the original breather pipe. I mounted it by the light to make emptying easier - not the most attractive set up!

[​IMG]

16. arnau Forum Member

woh! I would be worried about one (or both) catch tank pipes falling into alternator pulley/belt [:s] [:s]

17. arnau Forum Member

and I say, wouldn't this (catched) oil vapour, when bosch designed k-jetronic system, be used to lubricate metering head flap, throttle bodies, etc...? just to know :)

what sense does the small pipe going from breather to inlet manifold do?