Quality setup?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by JamesB, May 4, 2006.

1. JamesB Forum Member

I quite fancy upgrading my sound setup in the Mk2. Wondering what peoples suggestions would be?

I dont want to go silly, I dont consider louder to be better. Nor do I want a silly sub in my boot taking up half the space. Just want a nice quality system.

I have heard Becker to be a good head unit brand? What other head units could I consider?

Regarding the speakers, where do people have them placed in their MK2's? Currently I have two in the parcel shelf (previous owner) and two in the front doors. I see there are some others at the top of the dash, they dont look like their in use though. Would these be tweaters (sp)?

Other than head unit and speakers I dont have experiance of other components. Amps, preamps etc? Is the only function of these to make it louder?

Sorry for my many questions, this is just a field I happen to know nothing about...would like to know a bit more.

Cheers all!

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

Becker are good quality HU's yeah...

best placement for speakers in a mk2 is a pair of component speakers in original placement - woofers in door, and tweeters in dash.

the component speakers i would definitely amp - the amps built into HU's are pathetic and you would hear a MASSIVE difference amping the front components.
    amps aren't just for making it louder - it will sound better.

the rear speakers you don't really need if you have a nice set-up up front - if you must have them, have just 6x4 in standard positions running off HU.

you can get a sub enclosure that sits in the side of your boot that takes up no space, they're not cheap tho but look great - just depends on how much you wanna spend.
    [​IMG]

what's your budget and i'll find some decent gear for you?

3. JamesB Forum Member

Component speakers in original position? As far as I can tell, I only have the dash tweeter position and door speakers at the moment. Where is the original position?

Ok, I dont really have any idea what these things cost...never really looked into it. Would I be laughed at if I said budget was say 500 or less?

4. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

that's the original positions - dash and door.
    components come with woofer and seperate tweeter. :)

could get a cracking setup for 500 - even more so if you consider 2nd hand.

i have 2.2k worth of stuff that i paid well under 700 for over a course of a couple years.

5. JamesB Forum Member

Where is the best place to look for second hand gear?

eBay? Or is that the usual case of people ending up paying more for an item than you can get it new?!

6. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

yeah ebay is sometimes ok - but you need to watch.

talkaudio.com is good but you need 50 posts to post in for sale section - you can browse it tho.

7. Bear Forum Member

Been looking into all of this meself recently too.
    Definately components up front (door speakers with tweeters up in the dash), amp and sub.
    Some people swear by all the same manufacturer. Had a quote from a local audio place for everything inc. fitting for 450 (all JBL). Also been mooching on ebay and various car audio websites. Fancy fitting this myself too.

Has anyone got any decent info on wiring up a system... specifically 'tuning' the system, ohms, resistance, voice coils etc? Have already been looking on the likes of talk audio - but could do with a n00b's guide to what it all means and why it's important.

8. Tinnie New Member

infinity speakers and jbl subs sound sweet for a budget system

9. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

depends on what you're looking for. personally i wouldn't go near JBL or Infinity

altho JBL amps are quite good value

10. JamesB Forum Member

What make would you go for, for a sub 500 setup? (second hand)

11. mbh69 Forum Member

you'd get a better sound from 6.5" components in pods
    a 10 or 12 inch sub sealed in the boot
    all amped with decent amps and a decent sq headunit
    that'll sound good but for quality you'll want to sound deaden and perfect it all
    try the sq section of talkaudio

12. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

I maganged to get a hold of a Genesis Series 3 5ch amp for just under 350 - these still sell for 850
    Genesis series 3

also got a set of mint Focal Polykevlar 165k component speakers for the front for 110 - these were 370 new

BEWARE buying focal from ebay - lots of fakes around!
    much better using somewhere like talkaudio.com's exchange.

IMO Genesis amps are way ahead of most - they're handbuilt in england and you can even buy a 2nd hand one, send it back to genesis and get them to service it and re-polish the alu case

there are other good amps out there too, like simfoni etc but genesis seem easier to find 2nd hand.

either the series 3, or the slightly lower profile 4 range will give fantastic results - and profile 4's, seen a 4ch one go for 140 last week

speakers consider Focal, Rainbow, Genesis etc - all down to personal preference.

i would advise a sub, but if you don't want to loose space in your boot, then maybe consider Genesis 6x9 subs? they are real subs, just shaped like 6x9 speakers and you can even mount them in your parcel shelf - if you fancy making a quick shelf up outta 18mm MDF

i would probably advise on sound deadening the car too - seller on ebay sells 5 rolls of Ivanhoe for around 50

i'll have a look around and email/pm you with any half decent equipment at good prices.

PS. if you register on talkaudio.com and post 'what can i get for 500' - the guys there will be full of good suggestions

d

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  13. MattW Forum Member

In my last car I owned I had a nice setup...

4x sets of Focal Utopia 6" components running on Genesis Profile 2 amps (4 amps)

and in the boot JL Audio W7 Subs, running on 3 Genesis Profile SUB (1kw versions)

Gave crystal clear quality.... and at 160 dB

But that setup came to about 4700 just for speakers and amps... I ran it off a Kenwood 725 DVD Flip screen head unit

14. mbh69 Forum Member

lol don't think it will be 160 db maybe 140's realisticaly

15. kona786 Forum Member

hey mbh69 is that a RE Sub that you have in your boot. If so can you tell me a bit more about it mate.

Cheers, Wahid.

16. MattW Forum Member

Sorry just read that it was 140... [:$]

17. Aaron New Member

ha ah I was going to say 160 from a single sub with no wall :)

Becker have a great brand, stylish non nonsense units, I am looking to buy one for the new install :)

18. MattW Forum Member

I had 3 JL W7's, with 3 Genesis monoblok amps...

Anyway not heard of that brand before?

I've started shopping for speakers and amps for mine now and found Focal B3's 6.5" seem to be the best bet...

May try to find a set of Focal Utopias again though...

19. Aaron New Member

The becker Mexico Pro unit is the one I ahve been looking at, it looks almost standard which is waht pulled me in, others great sound quality. All though hold on as they are replacing the mexico unit with the Grand Prix which will be the same unit but with blutooth compatability.

when i finally manage to track down a Polo i want i will hoefully be competing in EMMA with my new system :)

20. foxhole Forum Member

DarrynK, that sub enclosure pictured was that custom made or can you buy them? is that what youve got installed?
    I dont think theres any room for a rear strut brace with that sub box though. [:^(]
    oh and great thread all.
    Cheers
    Nick