Quality setup?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by JamesB, May 4, 2006.

1. Estoril Ben Forum Member

:lol: :lol:

just trying to help JamesB get a good set up for less than 500, its not as easy as it sounds really.... but then cars are never cheap n easy, thats why we get hooked on them so bad....;)

2. westonamission Forum Member

I'm no expert but any resonable speaker will sound much better with proper wiring enclosures and amplification. I've been told to look for silk tweeters rather than metal ones if you don't want harsh high end. bought some brand new mac audio protector 2 way 13 cm comps off ebay for 20 and an amp that was thirty. when its in i'll tell you what it sounds like, plan is make fibreglass door pods for the woofers and have the tweeters in the standard locations. I'm going to contradict myself here but its better to spend money on speakers than amps, i'm just on a budget. Supposedly the macs drop to 37hz and have a signal to noise of 95db but who knows what they sound like till they're in? for -500 i'd be looking at second hand rainbows for the comps, or mac audio!!. the combination of speakers depends on what type of music you listen to. i listen to drum and bass mainly so i'm going to have a 12 along with my comps and i won't filter any of the sound going to the comps just roll the sub off between 80-100hz cos i want lots of sub and low mid.

3. westonamission Forum Member

plus i think its a bit silly buying an SQ head unit when you not going to really make the most of it but thats my opinion. most HU's produce a clean source so just buy one from a recognised brand, alpine seem to be the widely regarded as good.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  4. mk2monster

mk2monster Forum Member

ive had a whole vibe set up in an old car before cost less than 500 and my god did it draw a crowd!! 2x 12" Vibe black air's powered by a vipe vp4 amp! astonishing! then a set of vibe st80's which are amazing and still have to this day (very rare speakers!) they were powered by a vibe BB1 amp. then a set of vibe black hex speakers in the front. all cost bout 500 quid! ebay is a wonderful place! vibe is excellent quality car audio at a very little price!

5. oakey Forum Member

I have just completed my install (http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93864 - see the first few entries). Was more than 500 - but might help with deciding what to get.

Here was my shopping list:

Pair of Audioscape Door Pods with Rainbow SLC 265's
    Genesis Compact Four Amp
    Alpine 9857 Headunit
    Apline CHAS634CD Changer
    Sub box with Amboss 10" sub
    Hirschmann Ariel
    Pack of moisture guard
    Pack of wave diffuser
    Audison Connect RCA cables
    Four packs of Skinz sound deadining
    Eyelets and connectors
    Fuse Holder

I would say that it totllay depends on what you are after.....if I were you I would slowly build up your system. Spend the money on the best single componant part, then save for the next - otherwise you will end up with a mix-match of stuff that you will probably replace in a years time anyway! Good luck my friend and let us know what you end up with ;)

6. David Number 2 Forum Member

he knows some people who knows some people who robbed some people....

[​IMG]

7. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

2nd hand :)