Quality setup?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by JamesB, May 4, 2006.

1. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

2. foxhole Forum Member

Could I ask a simple question too. Sorry Im new to this, and am liking the genesis/rainbow setup. My only knowledge is home hifi seperates so trying to translate this to car.
    If you amp components and amp a sub, does that mean all the headunit is used for is CD and radio function. Therefore when considering a HU, playback quality is about the only priority? (well other than build and looks)
    Cheers
    Nick

3. Aaron New Member

You also what to consider the pre out voltage, a stronger output from the stereo will deliever a better signal to the amps.

If your amping everything on some head untis there is a option to turn off the internal amp on the HU!

4. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I'm very late on this but going back to the very original post wanted to say the following:

You don't need to go too out on a sound system. I suppose it depends what you listen to but generally if you have the following, in a mk2 or any car, then it sounds great.

Replace front tweeters.
    Door pods with Infinitys
    6x9 in stealth shelf at rear - again Infinity 3 ways (can run of head unit or amp)
    Sub in boot with amp - 12' sony x-plod hexagonal

If I get all that up in my car It seems like the back windows going to explode! (and I have 3 speakers in each door). Best not to go too overboard as you want to hear your car. Golf's make noise, and you need to hear these noises to know what your car is doing.

5. Aaron New Member

Sorry I have to disagree, first of all in regards to 6x9's and a sub. They will not only drag the sound stage into the back of the car which is not really where you want it considering you sit in the front, but they will also be under pressure from the sub and can cause them to not only not work properly but can damage them in the long run. This is due to the sub forming a bandpass style enclosure using the air space in your boot.

And secondly dont bother with Sony Xplod equipment, it is marketed at 'chav' end of the market, there is so much better out there for your money. Sony Xplod is really some of the worst stuff you can buy in my opinion.

6. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

i have to agree with Aaron too. 6x9's are a complete waste of time - especialy if you have them at the rear.

and Sony X-plod... er well... i'd be hammering it seeing if i could get it to go on fire. i've heard a few of them and they make me cringe.

there's a massive difference between being loud enough to make it seem "like the back windows going to explode!" and good quality equipment aimed at SQL

7. foxhole Forum Member

is SQL = sound quality ?loudness?level? dunno
    and SPL = scottish premier league[:-B] (or sound pressure level)

and the difference being ones quality and the other loudness??

8. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

SQ = sound quality
    SPL - sound pressure level (volume)

9. Aaron New Member

And SQL is in the middle of the two, basically when competiting SQL is loud music where as SPL is just burps of notes to obtain the highest db figure

10. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Aaron I see what you are getting at. But I got my sub for 40 so can't complain. As long as you got speakers and tweeters at front end it all good. Mk2's hold the sound brilliantly.

11. Aaron New Member

My basic point was that the simplest installs work the best in most cases, components, sub and amp the lot :)

12. andyj Forum Member

You can't beat the Genesis Prophile range of amps [:D] I've got a P5 which I'll be using to run my entire system, Front Components and a sub in the boot.

Once I save up the I'll be splashing out on a P1U (1000Wrms) to power the sub [:D]

As for components, again Genesis Audiophiles are very good value for money.

Headunit wise, I'm going to be running an Alpine CDA-7998R Phantom Face unit ;) Not cheap, but it came with my previous car, so I removed it before I sold the car on!!

For some examples of installs, take a look at www.icecavern.co.uk ;)

Andy

13. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

yes you can.

i've got a Genesis Series3 5ch amp :lol:

sorry [:$]

14. Aaron New Member

ooooo look at you :p

15. foxhole Forum Member

Accumulating my setup which comprises of:

Alpine HU................. CDA-7944R (6 channel preout with 4V front and back, 6V for subs)

Rainbow................... SLX230 Deluxe components
    Alpine Amp............... MRV-F340 4 channel

Genesis Subs............ P69 (6x9s to be mounted in shelf)
    Alpine Amp................ MRP-F356 4+1 channel

All purchased secondhand and very cheaply.
    I wasnt intending to get two amps, and I could probably run both sets of speakers on one amp. But I thought since I won it on eBay unexpectedly I though theres no harm in keeping them both. :p What do you think?

I think Ill try and install myself, just got to think what Im going to do in the boot with the MDF and accounstic carpet. [:s]

Any comments on the amp/speaker configuration welcome.

16. Aaron New Member

Nice little system there :)

A friend of mine used to run Genesis 6x9 subs, when installed properly they can be awesome, nothing compared to sub bass but they pack a very nice punch and can give the warmth of a sub withiout losing your boot.

With the install of the amps why not just have a false floor trimmed inthe same material as the rest of your boot so its nice and stealth and you can still use the boot.

17. andyj Forum Member

[:p] Ok Ok, you can't bet the Profile's for the money !!! ;)

Series3 amps are awesome pieces of kit !!!

18. Estoril Ben Forum Member

I used to have 6x9 subs in the back of my Mini Cooper S and rate them highly. Unfortunately IMO there is NO better car for an install of high SQ, they are just so solidly made and everything sounds just right. I've had decent (not award winning 2k+) set ups in a few cars, mainly transferring items from one to another, and the mini was the best sounding of the lot. Partly I think due to the 6x9's being built into the side panels next to the rear seats.

BUT, i think this thread is wandering to a "my speakers are better than yours" thread, when really we aim to provide info on a good install for less than 500. Which if you ask me, instantly rules out genesis and focal, as these are not really components of this price range. ie to build it of that price would mean a HU of about 125ish, and amp of about 125ish, leaving about 200 for components &/or sub &/or other speakers and 50 for deadening and wiring..... thats not really gonna give you a set up of a Becker HU, focal components and genesis amp, nevermind the rest.

So maybe we could try to be more helpful?? just a thought??

Ben.

19. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

[i'm great] i have genesis series 3 amp and focal polykevlar components [/i'm great] :lol:

sorry [:|]

20. foxhole Forum Member

[​IMG]
    My setup was dirt cheap. And I think it sounds pretty fine. So a quality system for cheap $$$. My amps arent mint, but are in full working order.

Ive almost finished the carpeting, just the side supports to do. The amps are mounted on a piece of mdf parallel to the rear seat back, and supported my triangle pieces bolted to my rear strut brace. And leaves plently of boot space.