Restoring black trim...

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by veedubnutz, May 9, 2006.

1. KYE

kye Forum Member

i want something thatll survive washing... dont wanna have to re-blacken the bumpers EVERY time i wash the car :( any suggestions...

2. ChrisUK Forum Member

the forever black stuff is good when you first apply it, but im a good few months on since i did mine and its really patchy now, like little faded circles all over the place!

I may try the heat gun on the lower trims like the valance on the rear bumper

It's sad that I can't even afford 14.99 at the minute though :(

My car has been neglected due to university assignments and exams. I think it's been about 2 months since it was last washed :O

It's gona take a whole weekend to get it up to my usual standard..

3. BUG4LIFE Forum Member

How did you get on with the stuff from Motorgeek Mustang?

4. Classic16v Forum Member

I used the Kiwi quick polish stuff talked about earlier in this section and also a heat gun - worked wonders, and is still looking good

5. Aphex Forum Junkie

A friend of mine sprayed his matt black, bit of effort but they'll be staying black for quite a while!

Looks good too.

6. DarrenW Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

85p from Morrisons, as you can see. Did three coats on a Corsa with the most faded bumpers and arches in THE WORLD, 18 months ago. Used about half of it. Car hasn't been washed since, is left out in all weathers, and they are STILL proper deep black, no fading at all.

For 85p, and such good results, why bother using anything else?! :lol:

7. Obvious Forum Member

Having used quite a number of products, Megs Trim Detailer, Autoglym Bumper snot etc I can vouch for Linseed oil. Big bottle of the stuff is 2.50 from B+Q, one application put on about 3weeks ago, has tanked down ever since and they are still very deep black and beading water. Hardly used anything from the bottle at all. So should last a lifetime :lol:

8. JIMMY GTI Forum Member

ive also used autoglym bumper care loads of times, love it but used linseed oil on mine other day and as said above, used hadly any and looks great. recommend both of these

9. seanlikesfood

seanlikesfood Paid Member Paid Member

linseed oil

I read on here a while back about using Linseed oil. I was a little sceptical but the results are really good(and believe me my bumpers were looking shabby!) A lot easier than a heat gun and cheaper than most products meant for the job!

10. 1stgolf Forum Member

im going to get a couple of bottels of this tomorrow and ill take a befor and after pics of my mk2 bumpers

11. 1stgolf Forum Member

im gob smacked i cant belive the results the morrisons stuff gives but once again my digital cameras not uploading pictures on to my computer again once its sorted ill upload the pictures
    thanks

12. Leon R Forum Member

I looked into this! (I hope you weren't taking the pi$$ [:|] because I used ATF, rubbed it in then sprayed Silcone Spray over it and then wiped it down a touch. Its kept for 2 weeks thru the worst weather. (All free stuff from work [:$] ) But Pigbladders' Megs method does look class.

13. penny71 Forum Member

Restoring black plastic trim and bumpers

I read this thread a few months ago and I tried the heat gun method.

Had a butane/propane mix blowtorch (plumbers) instead of a heatgun. I tried it on an inconspicious area (underside of rear bumper) and it looked great. I did bumpers arch, trims, side strips and it still looks like new.

Its alot like paint spraying.
    Remove any dirt and tar spots from the bumper first
    Hold the torch about 10 - 12 inches from surface and "wave" it from side to side over a 12 inch area at a time. Remove the heat when you see the surface go black.
    Obviously if you continue to heat after it has gone black the surface can melt slightly SO BE WARNED. Also do not touch the surface until the area has cooled completely.
    You can go back over an area later if you feel you have missed a bit.

I did the arch trims and bumpers on the car and used a plumbers heat mat to shield the paint and took care not to go near the paint at the edges.

You quickly get a feel for the "spraying" technique and watching for the colour change which is the key.

When I think of the time Ive spent with golf bumpers over the years and how quick and easy this was.

My car is an 89 small bumper GTI - I,d be wary of using it on big bumpers next to the painted plastic areas but with care I'm sure its possible.

This didnt work on my rear window spoiler (different plastic) its only for bumpers, arches, side rubbing strips, sill covers on big bumper cars
    I also used it on a 98 passat TDI on the black lower bumper moulding front and rear.

14. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

Went to B&Q and got myself some Linseed Oil. What a difference, hate the smell but made the brack trim look fantastic !

15. madmonkey Forum Addict

Yeah, I've found out the hard way, mine's all blotchy now.[:x]

I'll pick up a scrappy one sooner or later.

16. Chris20V New Member

Definate thumbs up for Linseed oil, I was sceptical but after trying most other ways decided to give it a go. 2.99 a bottle just wipe on to a clean bumper with a microfibre cloth, brilliant instant result, has now been on for over a month still looking good.Its a bit addictive so having finished my MK 2 I turned to my sons girlfriends KA, turns out the massive dull grey bumpers are actually Navy Blue.

17. damogti Forum Junkie

how many coats of linseed oil are needed??

I've been using baby oil but it has taken 3 or 4 coats to get the bumpers to stay black and after a couple of weeks it has gone really patchy.....[:|]

18. Jaydee Forum Member

Just tried the Linseed oil approach, 1.99 from local hardware shop. Had 5 minutes spare, just put a quick coat on the front wheel arch and bumper. What a difference.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Much better.

will do the rest of the car later, and see how it lasts.

19. GOODVIBRATIONS

GOODVIBRATIONS Forum Member

looks like it works well..

i use that autoglym bumper gel but if the linseed works and its cheaper even better..:)

20. Jaydee Forum Member

You can see on tuesday yourself. Just done the rest of the arches, bumpers and spoilers. Does look so much better, and theres enough left for another 10 applications at least.