retarded Air Filter question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by wotsgoodinthehood, Mar 13, 2007.

1. wotsgoodinthehood Forum Member

Now then

Can anyone give advice on air filters for mk2 1.6 driver? I want to replace the standard pish for a K&N or similar. Do these only come in panel form for my model or is there an induction cone type kit too??[:s]

2. Aphex Forum Junkie

When I had my 1.6 (R.I.P [:^(] :lol:) I bought a bolt on k n n from the bay, only cost a bit but sounded alright, just sits on top of the carb methinks. I suppose you can get a panel one and it'd probably make more sense!. Bit of a pig to fit though lol. I still have it kicking around but the girlfriend wants it for when she finally matures into veedub-hood,

Hope this helps!

3. muppet9966 Forum Member

Yeah I think you can get a panel mounted one to replace the orginal.
    Was thinking about it myself, but I think it costs more than I wanted to spend at the time.
    The tin can ones that fit directly on the carb will help the carb ice during the winter.

4. wotsgoodinthehood Forum Member

I aint sure what to go for. The bolt-on gives off a nice induction roar but is it true that it sucks in hot air from the engine bay?? I will have to whack on a bonnet scoop!!:lol:
    Is ther any way to avoid carb icing when using a bolt-on filter?

I think i'm leaning more towards the panel filter for a better chance of getting cold air; also considering one of those pipes that attach to the chin spoiler and lead up to the air box. The standard that attaches to the inside of the wheel arch was a bit pants an fell off!![:$]

5. Aphex Forum Junkie

Go for a panel, sounds the clever thing to do. Not what I did but that says alot about me [:o)]

6. wotsgoodinthehood Forum Member

I could always get a shiny bolt-on for special occasions!! :lol: Won't tell Wifey though!!;) :p

Anyone know what the air pipes are called??

7. Aphex Forum Junkie

Nope, I ended up with some of that round tubed tin-foil stuff lol. Oh and nice one bruvva :lol:

8. wotsgoodinthehood Forum Member

I got some of that tin foil stuff too[:$] LOL, what a load of gash they are. Move em about too much and they just unravel...damn you Halfrauds!![:x] :lol:

Gonna need some extra funding for the proper tubes soon...again, won't tell Wifey!!;)

9. gtifan New Member

I've been hearing good feedbacks about K&N. In fact my dad had used it, when his old volkswagen air filter needs a replacement. its working good. :)

10. wotsgoodinthehood Forum Member

How about Pipercross filters? How do they compare to K&N?

11. speedygti8v

speedygti8v Forum Member

sound abit louder if you have a weber carb conversion the k+n don't fit[:x]

12. newkid

newkid Forum Member

Piper cross and k+n do em. They are called Cold Air Feed Kits. All it is, is some of that flexi convelute pipe with some spun shiney end cones. Halfords or someone should have them. Think they are about 20

13. gtifan New Member

As far as I know Pipercross claim their product is equally as good if not better than a K&N fabric filter - that is in terms of airflow versus filtration efficiency. Well I guess this all boils down to the matter of brand preference. ;)

14. Aphex Forum Junkie

I think that the k&n's are oil based whereas the piperx's are dry filters. I know the k&n's have messed up some of my mates maf sensors but I think that's down to scooby engineering lol

15. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

the good thing about KnN,s is that they are washable so wash, reoil and in theory theyll last forever.

16. Barkstar Forum Member

Couple of things to bare in mind. Both Pierburgs and Webers suffer badly from carb icing if they're not fed with hot air when its cold and damp (it doesn't have to be winter). And though you can get a hot air feed kit for the KN shiney pancake filter its hot all the time and looks pants.
    Second thing to consider is cost, the KN panel filter to go in the std airbox is 38ish. The bling pancake job is 57, plus the hot air kit. And neither will give you any much more go unless you've seriously tuned the motor to the point where the std filter is restricting things. The std paper filters are 4 - you're gonna need to keep the car an awful long time to make a KN worth having and with a std one once a year you open airbox take out old filter put in bin and put new one in, close airbox. drive. It's a no brainer.

Barkstar [:*:]

17. westonamission Forum Member

Doesn't the manifold heater help prevent the icing? If not in part completely in full. I can't really see how the standard box helps, assuming you've got a weber cos the hot air feed with the flappy thing isn't used any way really is it?. you could just the feed from the exhaust manifold and point that at the carb, might help. theres a shop that sells a plenum and a filter for the weber (can't use both), www.fastroadcars.co.uk, look in ebay auctions under filters and induction kits, which i always fancied for my driver, plenum I think would be slightly impractical as there is no filter at all. If you do have a weber and its second hand they also sell repair kits so you can rebuild it yourself with diagrams! I did mine in a w/e and found out the second hand one i picked up off ebay was FUBAR. LOL it was so fll of scale and rust it looked like and old kettle. No idea if this is good advice or not but hope it helps in some way

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  18. westonamission Forum Member

BTW I always though the sprint filter was worth considering as its cheap and has a replaceable paper filter, and with mark 2's it'll get cold air cos of the vents at the back of the bonnet any way!

19. Barkstar Forum Member

I gotta say I have no idea if the heater thingy on mine works. But I do run the std airbox with my 32/34 DMTL (which is the usual replacement for the Pierburg) and until I'd fixed the hot air feed it ran something awful in chilly and damp conditions. Once I'd got a feed from the manifold sorted (GSF do a length of the flexi hose for a few quid that's twice as long as needed and then some) and the vacuum reconnected it's run just fine ever since.

The bits that website sells ( it's fastroadcarS.co.uk BTW) are for a DGV. The plenum chamber (they're pushing the trades description act with that one, it's an adaptor) may be useful if it will fit the DMTL and you want to fit a 2L tall block but 60 is a lot if it either won't fit or it still ain't low enough to clear the bonnet and then there's the oval hose and a cone filter and having blown 100+ it still won't go any quicker. So unless you really think a fancy filter under the bonnet is going to relax la femme's knicker elastic I'd stay with std ;)

Barkstar [:*:]

20. wotsgoodinthehood Forum Member

from what i gather, the bolt-on seems like a pain in the @rse!! and i think the plenum is a waste of time also.

I've had a Brand new Weber fitted, not been been on too long, and i still need to tune it. All i want is a filter that will give that little bit extra but i never knew the hassle that came with the bolt-on pancake...sounds like too much of a ball ache for a sweet induction noise!!

Anyone have any piccies of the hot air feed?