retarded Air Filter question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by wotsgoodinthehood, Mar 13, 2007.

1. wotsgoodinthehood Forum Member

happy days [:D] good answer!!

so what would be involved when changing cams then? I cam imagine its not so straight forward!!

This thread is really helping me out. Thanks guys

2. wotsgoodinthehood Forum Member

Ohh! All that old oil and solvents going down the drain when you clean it - that's done for your tree hugging credentials. :lol: [/QUOTE]

could always clean it over an old oil can and take said recepticle to your nearest council tip; they should have a mahoosive barrel for oil oil and pish like that[:D] Planet saved...happy days!!:lol:

3. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

That's a good point too Mr wotsgood!

So I've still gotta decide...

Anyway, on the cam front, tried to look at the timing with a Gunson flasher thingy a while back and got more confused than anything. The 'green bung' that allows you to see the flywheel is missing from my engine, so having failed to see anything line up on the cam pulley, pointed the strobe in there. V-notch was within a degree or two of the middle, so undid dizzy rotated 'til notch was right in the centre of the hole, locked her down again.

Confusing bit came when I looked (strobed) back at the 'timing marks' on the (outside of the) cam pulley and the one below it, they didn't line up with where I expected by loads. So I guessed that these marks are actually TDC marks and therefore about 18 degrees out from where I thought they'd be (in the correct direction).

Was I right about this? Does the fact that the angle was around 20 degrees suggest that I have a normal cam?

Sorry to head off topic, sorry to be so wordy...

4. Sciroccotune Forum Member

bolts dont line up sadly, but im sure that i have seen these on someones car from here, he was running a weber on a mk1.

5. prof Forum Addict

Barkstar is right, it's a waste of time, spend the money on tyres, or decent brake pads or petrol

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

And dump the oil down the drain - that's why they have oil skimmers at the treatment works, and that scum they skim off the top gets recycled into your 4 a gallon supermarket engine oil....... just the same as the stuff at the recycling place does.

7. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

Ooooh, EZ"Tree Hugger"Pete won't be happy with you!! :lol:

8. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Wrong gbk.

(Nearly) always happy with what the True Christ says, 'cos it's usually got a 'tongue in cheek' angle, and usually causes mirth (in me, and I'm confident of not being alone in this). The thing about not wearing seatbelts is pretty lame though.

Pete

9. Barkstar Forum Member

But you'd have to drive to the tip! All those hydrocarbons!! That's you off Greenpeace's recycled chrimbo card list as well :lol:

Barkstar [:*:]

10. wotsgoodinthehood Forum Member

I could take the bus or better yet...go on my bike!! :lol: Supergreen!!